It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Does anyone know anything about degenerative disc disease?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-06-2003, 06:16 PM   #1
    Crisgo

Crisgo HB User
    Question Does anyone know anything about degenerative disc disease?

Help, my 22 yr. old daughter was just diagnosed as having degenerative disc disease. She was having some pain in her knee and hip lately while trying to do her job. She went to see her doctor about her knee and discribed the pain. The dr. had xrays taken of her knee and back. She was told yesterday that the xrays showed she had a slightly curved spine and bone spurs. She was told she had degenerative disc disease and that was what caused the pain in her knee and hip.
    She is to see her doctor in 4 weeks.
    In the mean time we are concerned and have a few questions about treatment. Are there any suggestions as to what she can do or take (naturally)that could help in slowing down the disease? She is also worried how this might affect her if she were to get pregnant?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2003, 06:32 PM   #2
    BWL
    Senior Veteran

BWL HB User
    oops

[This message has been edited by BWL (edited 03-06-2003).]

Old 03-06-2003, 06:34 PM   #3
    BWL
    Senior Veteran

BWL HB User
    Hi Crisgo,

Sorry to hear of your daughter's woes. I have DDD as well and am still trying to come up with the best ways to cope with it. I've found many doctor's can be dismissive when you start discussing prevention.

I can't recommend anything specifically, but am happy to share the steps I am taking and plan on taking. I would do some of them now, but I'm just over 5 weeks post-op and am not allowed to do anything to strenuous.

First thing is to stay fit, keep the weight down to alleviate unnecessary stress on your spine. I'll also work on strengthening my abs and back muscles to provide additional support. I also take some natural anti-inflammatories like ginger and borage oil. Please don't start anything without speaking with the doc. (That's my legal disclaimer). The last and one of the most important is good nutrition. All of this is much easier said than done, but at least it puts me somewhat in control of my future and gives my system its best shot at recovery and (doctor's forbid) prevention. Good posture is also believed to play a role in prevention.

When I'm healthy I practice yoga which I think helped stave off my disk rupture although some say it may have contributed. We'll never know, but I'll start practicing again in the not too distant future.

Genetics also probably plays a role in DDD so you might be able to glean some clues from your family history.

Good luck
    Bruce

------------------
    ACDF with plating and donor bone C6-7 (1/29/03)

Old 09-23-2003, 02:35 PM   #4
    CAWB0769

CAWB0769 HB User
    Smile

I am sorry to hear about your daughters conditions with DDD. I suffer with the same and have in the past been perscribed medication used to treat those with osteoporosis. (sp) This may be an issue you can discuss with your doctor and see if it will be of any assistance.

Closed Thread