It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• OPLL Surgery, Corpectomy, Fusion

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-25-2014, 05:41 PM   #1
    Ironman07
    (male)

Ironman07 HB User
    OPLL Surgery, Corpectomy, Fusion

My doctor recommends C5 corpectomy and C6-C7 fusion for my arm pain. He said that I will be in hard collar for 12 weeks. He is not willing to give me more than 3 weeks leave from work. He said that I can start driving after 3 weeks (even in hard collar).

How could he ask me to drive while in hard collar? Anyone with similar experiences?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2014, 01:11 PM   #2
    Ironman07
    (male)

Ironman07 HB User
    Re: OPLL Surgery, Corpectomy, Fusion

Hello, can anyone reply?

Old 03-27-2014, 09:27 AM   #3
    roadiez
    (male)

roadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB User
    Re: OPLL Surgery, Corpectomy, Fusion

Although it might seem very hard to do. It can be done. I remember when I was released from the hospital last year after my 2 cervical(C-4 to C7 Anterior & C4 to T1 Posterior) surgeries I did drive a partial of the way home. Mainly because we were in Louisville, Ky. & my wife was so frazzled about me being in pain & the traffic that's up there.

One thing for sure have all of the mirrors placed where you will only need to shift your eyes to observe around the car.
    When backing up. Park in a very easy place to move. I mean where you can see any oncoming traffic with a glance in the rear view mirror. I personally do the same to this day. I am still having pain & loss of ROM(range of motion) has been cut severely.
    Just like on Monday I helped do a set of brakes on a vehicle. Not too much strain at all. Or so I thought. Tuesday I was in so much pain I was bound to the bed for 2 days. I am also still in pain & know that it just takes time to recover.

You will learn very quickly to know what your limitations are & how much is to much. You will be able to drive. But remember if you drive over 15 minutes or so you will be pushing the far side of over doing it.

Also you may not have thought of this yet. Make sure you use the handicap automatic door button to open up any doors at places you go. Like the library, some department stores & etcetera. The strain it puts on the back side of your neck is very intense. You will soon learn what I mean the 1st time you encounter this.

Best of luck with your surgery & recovery.

The Following User Says Thank You to roadiez For This Useful Post:
    Ironman07 (03-28-2014)
    Closed Thread