It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Triple MRI Results - Please Help Me!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-30-2003, 12:13 AM   #1
    hottrodd
    (male)

hottrodd HB User
    Question Triple MRI Results - Please Help Me!

Hey everyone

I am not new to the boards but "new" to the "Spinal Disorders" threads.

I got my report today from my recent and first ever triple MRI. I am reading it and it looks normal in most parts. I don't understand all the medical words. It looks like I have a few problems.. I don't know how those would effect me so much with the amount of pain I am in.

My PM appt. is on Wed. If anyone can explain anything it would help me identify problems, if any? You can see my history on my signature below.

Here it goes..

"Lumbar Spine"

There is no evidence of paraspinous mass. The disc spaces are maintained. There is minimal disc dehydration at L4-5 and L5-S1. There is no evidence of conus medullaris lesion. The marrow signal in the vertebral bodies are normal.

L3-4: There is minimal ligamentum flavum hypertrophy. The foramina appear patent. The disc profile is normal.

L4-5: The foramina are widely patent. There is minimal ligamentum flavum hypertrophy. The AP diameter of the canal is 22 mm at the level of the disc spaces. No significant discogenic disease is identified.

L5-S1: 5 mm right paramedian disc protusion, which causes mild effacement of the right side of the thecal sac, best seen on axial images #107.

IMPRESSION:
    5 mm Right Paramedian disc Protrusion L5-S1

"Thoracic Spine"

The marker appears to be placed at T3. No paraspinous mass is identified. The patient has degenerative spurs laterally in the upper lumbar spine on the right side. The marrow signal in the vertebral bodies is unremarkable. The size, contour and signal of the thoracic cord is normal. there is no evidence of compression fracture. Resolution is limited. The STIR sagittal sequence shows abnormal high signal in the vertebral bodies. The axial images appear to extend from T3 through T7. Resolution is limited. There are mild disc bulges seen at T6-7, difficult to appreciate on the axial images.

"Cervical Spine"

There is no evidence of brachial plexus mass. The sagittal images show straightening of the cervical spine. The size, contour and signal of the cervical cord is normal. The cerebellar tonsils are above the foramen magnum. The disc spaces are maintained. The marrow signal in the vertebral bodies are unremarkable.

C3-4: The foramina are patent. There is no significant discogenic disease or spinal stenosis. The AP diameter of the canal is 14 mm.

C4-5: The foramina are widely patent. There is no discogenic disease, subarachnoid space narrowing or cord compression. The AP diameter of the canal is 13 mm

C5-6: There is some narrowing of the subarachnoid space due to the straightening of the cervical spine. The foramina appear patent. No significant discogenic disease or spinal stenosis is identified. The AP diameter of the canal is 13 mm

C6-7: The foramina appear widely patent. No significant discogenic disease or spinal stenosis is identified. The AP diameter of the canal is 13 mm

End Report...

So what does this all mean? If anyone can help identify anything that would be much appreciated. I know I have a lot of pain, muscle spasms and stiffness. It doesn't sound to bad, but once again, this is my first MRI and I don't know what's what! If anyone has these same or similar problems can you also let me know how your Dr. proceeded from here?

Please help..

Thanks,
    Hottrodd

------------------
    * 27 years old, male
    *Chronic upper back pain for about 6 years, recently getting really bad, really stiff in the morning takes forever to get going, lasts all day everyday.
    *Crackling sounds from rib cage area across upper and middle back when stretching.
    * Pain, tightness and burning all day long, usually ranges from a 4 through 9 depending on the day and how my body wants to react. Usually it's at least a 6/7 all day recently, used to be an annoying 3/4 all day, which I lived with but hated.
    *Problem areas are mainly around breastbone area of chest, across shoulder blades, dead center upper back, upper shoulders and back of neck. Feels as if it's muscles and bones/joints, possibly ribs.
    *Muscles spasms, had a couple that were severe enough to go to ER, felt like I was having a heart attack, pain radiated through upper back to chest area.
    *Taking Vicodin 5/500 Soma 350 and Celebrex 200, which also helps somewhat but not to where I am not bothered by the pain, burning, tightness ect..
    *Chiropractic 3 years, PT on and off again, all of which produces results that do not last for more than the day I have them.
    *Can't remember any trauma I had that would have caused all this. Don't understand how it's getting worse.
    *Can't really do anything, lifting, heavy physical ect.. Try and walk and stretch when I can.
    *Still undiagnosed and waiting

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2003, 09:22 AM   #2
    Dimples5
    (female)

Dimples5 HB User
    Bumping you for help from someone who is more familiar with the terms. Good luck.

Pat

Old 09-30-2003, 11:24 PM   #3
    Mizcriz

Mizcriz HB User
    I've got a couple of sites that you might be interested in to find the meanings of the terminology. Spine Universe is a good one...Virtual Hospital: University of Iowa Family Practice... and Back Pain and Neck Pain for Spine Patients.. lots of info.. Hope this helps you :-)

------------------
    Injured 5/2/01 in a fall. 43 yr old. Suffering with Sciatica with tingling and numbness on the buttock, leg and entire foot. Recently has started being symptomatic in the right leg, as well. MRI 2/03 Showed straightening of the normal lumbar lordosis. L4-L5 bulging disk assoc. with posterior spondylytic changes. Effacing the ventral thecal sac. Slight hypertrophic changes of the superior articulating facets. L5-S1 central bulging disk with annular tear. Effacing the ventral thecal sac. Disk desiccation is evident at the L5-S1. Assoc. end plate degenerative changes involving the inferior and superior aspects of the L5 and S1. Mild hypertrophy of the superior articulating facets and ligamentum flavum. EMG of 4/03 shows basically a normal read, however the Dr. did note that the left tibial velocity and the left sural sensory nerve latencies are reading borderline.
    DDD is also present.
    MRI 8/18/03 L5-S1 is now a 5mm herniation. L4-L5 is now a bulging disk with annular tear. L1-L2 and L2-L3 show decreased height. Disk Dessication is evident from L1 to L5. S1 is noted as a segmented disk.
    Injured 5/2/01 in a fall. 43 yr old. Suffering with Sciatica with tingling and numbness on the buttock, leg and entire foot. Recently has started being symptomatic in the right leg, as well. MRI 2/03 Showed straightening of the normal lumbar lordosis. L4-L5 bulging disk assoc. with posterior spondylytic changes. Effacing the ventral thecal sac. Slight hypertrophic changes of the superior articulating facets. L5-S1 central bulging disk with annular tear. Effacing the ventral thecal sac. Disk desiccation is evident at the L5-S1. Assoc. end plate degenerative changes involving the inferior and superior aspects of the L5 and S1. Mild hypertrophy of the superior articulating facets and ligamentum flavum. EMG of 4/03 shows basically a normal read, however the Dr. did note that the left tibial velocity and the left sural sensory nerve latencies are reading borderline.
    DDD is also present.
    MRI 8/18/03 L5-S1 is now a 5mm herniation. L4-L5 is now a bulging disk with annular tear. L1-L2 and L2-L3 show decreased height. Disk Dessication is evident from L1 to L5. S1 is noted as a segmented disk.

Old 09-30-2003, 11:26 PM   #4
    Mizcriz

Mizcriz HB User
    I've got a couple of sites that you might be interested in to find the meanings of the terminology. Spine Universe is a good one...Virtual Hospital: University of Iowa Family Practice... and Back Pain and Neck Pain for Spine Patients.. lots of info.. Hope this helps you :-)

------------------
    DDD is also present.
    DDD is also present.

Old 09-30-2003, 11:27 PM   #5
    Mizcriz

Mizcriz HB User

------------------
    DDD is also present.
    DDD is also present.

Closed Thread