It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Thoracic disk herniation T7 T8 impressing spinal cord

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-27-2014, 12:31 PM   #1
    Starling31
    (female)

Starling31 HB User
    Thoracic disk herniation T7 T8 impressing spinal cord

HI everyone. I have had problems with numbness in my feet, sometimes back of legs and groin and buttocks as well for about 3 months, and a short episode of complete loss of sensation and paralysis in left leg after bending over in a seated position reading for awhile...I have felt this coming on again but have learned to straighten up when I feel it coming on to avoid the paralysis. Pain is not a problem. Long story short, latest MRI revealed a thoracic disk herniation at T7 T8 impressing on spinal cord, signal abnormalities at that level, and possible atrophy of the cord at that level from pressure from disk combined with pressure from mildly exaggerated kyphotic spinal curvature. Neurologist wants to do a spinal tap to rule out MS but thinks my symptoms are most likely from the disk, and I feel fairly certain it is not MS. Wondering if anyone here has had a similar issue and what was done about it. From what I have been able to gather from doctor Google the fact that I have loss of sensation will indicate surgery, but wondering if anyone has ever NOT been advised to have surgery is the presence of neurological symptoms. Also it seems this is a difficult surgery and I was wondering what the latest techniques/approaches are. I have read online that the anterior approach has a lot of complications and that there is a minimally invasive alternative involving an endoscope and removing part of a rib, but not sure what the most current prevailing wisdom is on technique. Wondering what the recovery time will be as well. I have my neurosurgeon consult Monday and wondering what questions to ask. I live in the San Francisco Bay area and my health insurance is through Kaiser. Thanks in advance for any stories, experiences, or Dr. recommendations you can share.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2014, 12:21 PM   #2
    TriniJohnny
    (male)

TriniJohnny HB User
    Re: Thoracic disk herniation T7 T8 impressing spinal cord

Hey,

I know its a while since your post. I hope you are still a member to the site. How are things with you lately? I was recently diagnosed with a disc herniation to the same t7 - t8 vertebrae. Initially i had numbness on both legs with heavier numbness on left leg. I was wondering how things turned out because my neurosurgeon decided to postpone surgery because the feeling was returning to my legs. Do you happen to know what the size of the herniation was?

Closed Thread