It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• for me- the ACDF and PCDF were horrible operations

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-11-2003, 08:16 PM   #1
    mistyone
    Inactive

mistyone HB User
    Post for me- the ACDF and PCDF were horrible operations

I just want everyone to know that i thought, giving my pain threshold, these were just aboutthe most horrendus operations a person can be subjected to to get your pain fixed. I have had my gall bladder out, tonscils out, appendix out, had a baby, had lapracope on my oviaries. etc, but this WAS THE WORST OPERATION ihave ever had in my life, and to me it was an impossible misfortune for me to go through. When i woke up from the recovery room i thought someone took my head off and sewed it back on to my body from the back. a 6" scar with drains, and staples and all that goes along with it. but i hadto do it. IT is an extremely nasty operation and you can not just dance away from this like i could with thoses others as described above. I hope i never ever have to go through anything like this again, ever in my life. I told my husband to come over to my bedside as i wanted to say 'goodbye' to him as i thought i was going to die literally. Think twice folks before undertaking this especially from the back of the neck. mistyone

------------------
    sept 02 nasty car crash by drunk driver. got C5-6-7 HNP, T-7-8 bulge, 8-9, 10-11 HNP, L 5 L3 S1 lateral recess, ACDF with my hip on right side, posterior CDF w 11 screws and 4 plates, hareware has to come out in feb 04 when the bone has matured. my n/s quit her practice an not i am up the creek trying to find another n/s or orthopod to help me as they are all fearful of malpractice where the other doctor was.....not on pain meds but on xanax 1 mg and effexor 75 mgs. have torn right rotator cuff w/ some DDD thrown in for good meaure. have left hand dominant CTS and not a happy camper right now....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2003, 06:43 PM   #2
    nero
    Veteran
    (female)

nero HB User
    Your posting really made me frightened. You have had basically similar surgeries like me and iam a strong and proactive person so it sounded like you had been through hell and back..I am due Nov.10/03 for acdf and waffling but l5=s1 herniated too and unless they do neck they won't put me under as is to do lower back..

Not too mention I have spinal chord compression from c5 c6 herniation and if left can be paralyzed from fall accident etc.

what a nightmare....do you feel any better or just still too sick to care.

I feel badly for you..and hope that my pain threshold is still in tact.

Seems that threshold and what is between my ears keeps me sane.

I'll pray for you...sincerely, NERO

Old 10-14-2003, 06:44 PM   #3
    nero
    Veteran
    (female)

nero HB User
    Your posting really made me frightened. You have had basically similar surgeries like me and iam a strong and proactive person so it sounded like you had been through hell and back..I am due Nov.10/03 for acdf and waffling but l5=s1 herniated too and unless they do neck they won't put me under as is to do lower back..

Not too mention I have spinal chord compression from c5 c6 herniation and if left can be paralyzed from fall accident etc.

what a nightmare....do you feel any better or just still too sick to care.

I feel badly for you..and hope that my pain threshold is still in tact.

Seems that threshold and what is between my ears keeps me sane.

I'll pray for you...sincerely, NERO

Old 10-14-2003, 07:28 PM   #4
    maggie2101
    (female)

maggie2101 HB User
    I would like to thank mistyone for being so kind and welcoming to "some newbie" merely trying to relay her own experience with ACDF. Clearly, mistyone's pain and suffering is greater than most and newbies need not reply as their thoughts are without merit.

Old 10-15-2003, 12:30 AM   #5
    queenbee4u

queenbee4u HB User
    Question

Hi- I am new also here. It sounds like mistyone has been through the mill. I think, Maggie, she was not trying to put you down but explain the differences between the two operations as they are very different. I hope you understand this and do not take offense by it. I think she meant to say that if you have not been there like she has, then you wouldnt understand the way it felt. No need to get offended by it. Personally, i feel very sorry for her. Queenie

Old 10-15-2003, 04:48 AM   #6
    more
    (female)

more HB User
    Why I think reading Mistyone's message may scare somebody off, but remember this board is also meant to bring out the bad experiences as well as the good. There are just as many good experiences here. All people tolerate the procedures differently - no two are exactly alike. Hopefully we can all come out perfect or as near perfect as ever after our procedures but it is good to know not everyone does. If the misfortunes were not told here everyone would expect the perfect and when it is not obtained they feel let down, or depression sets in with the feeling of "why me".

So remember no two are exactly alike and there are good and bad outcomings - the most we can hope for are good outcomings and it is has been proven positive thoughts bring about positive outcomes - so remain positive.

Old 10-15-2003, 05:57 AM   #7
    LisaM

LisaM HB User
    Hi All,
    I agree about being told the good and bad. I was lead to believe that there wouldn't be much pain afterwards. Ha!
    Then when I couldn't leave the couch or bed, I got depressed. Which I'm still fighting. For me, I've had 4 babies, 2 of which were twins, hysterectomy, tubal, and this was clearly the worst pain I had ever felt. But, don't get me wrong. I would do it again. My disc had actually ruptured 3 years prior to my surgery and I was told by a chiro that it was simply a pinched nerve. So, for me, yes, it was and is very painful and scary but I'd do it again because soon I will be back to old self and hopefully, painfree one day. I just have to keep going.

------------------
    Lisa
    Anterior Cervical Discetomy w/Fusion C5-C6 on Sept 9, 2003

Old 10-15-2003, 07:12 AM   #8
    Sprytle

Sprytle HB User
    Mistyone:

Oh how right you are. Here are my main memories after a 3 level ACDF:

1. Did someone get the license number of that truck?
    2. Why do I sound like a frog?
    3. Funny, I can't move my legs.
    4. Funnier, my arms move wildly.
    5. Eating food with your hands because you can't hold a fork is not as fun as when you were 20 months old.
    6. Thanks for giving me dry toast to eat.

It is said that back surgery is more difficult the higher up it is done. My lumbar was a cakewalk compared to the ACDF. I had spinal fluid leakage and they put a tap in at the base of my spine and I spent 5 extra days in the ICU not moving due to the drain having to be at a certain height.

I had surgery on the 30th of August last year and opened the door of my house for the first time on September 13th. I didn't even bother to close my front door. I went and sat down in my favorite recliner and cried, because I thought that I was never going to see my house again. I thought I was going to die in the hospital.

Don't get me wrong guys, when you need an ACDF, you need it. But get up on this group, and ask about what to be prepared for. Don't forget to take into account that your cervical nerves really affect EVERYTHING below them. I think Mistyone is just informing you that you should be prepared for what you may be getting in to.

Sprytle

Closed Thread