It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Ideas for items to buy for after laminectomy & fusion

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-13-2014, 10:56 PM   #1
    jeff557
    (male)

jeff557 HB User
    Ideas for items to buy for after laminectomy & fusion

I see a list for items to have after an ACDF, but a laminectomy is different. What items have helped you after a cervical laminectomy and posterior fusion? What kind of pain pills did you have after you got home from the hospital? Any recommendations for sleeping? Does a recliner work for a laminectomy? Or does the posterior surgery rule out a recliner?

Help, I have 2 weeks until surgery, and I am terrified of this one.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2014, 05:40 AM   #2
    pashie
    (female)

pashie HB Userpashie HB User
    Re: Ideas for items to buy for after laminectomy & fusion

I had posterior decompression and fusion and was sent home on day 3....took 2 Tylenol #3 every four hours for at least 2 weeks then slowly cut down.

It is now 9 weeks since I had it done. I now take 1 ty #3 once a day. Take tyl xs sometimes. Don't have pain since week 6 but I have a lot of stiffness in my neck and pain in the rest of me body from being off celebrex. The muscles in my neck hurt some but I rest and it feels better.
    I had c2c3c4 done with cadaver bone and screws....I go for a xray in 2 weeks to see if everything is good as I wore no collar except when going out.

As far as the recliner I could use it if I put one of those neck pillows (wraps around you) from the $ store and it worked great. Depends if you have a collar.

I to was scared but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Put posterior fusion in the search at the top of the page. It will bring up more info. best of luck....you will make it...I will be cheering you on.....((((hugs)))) Pashie

Old 04-14-2014, 05:35 PM   #3
    Keriflys
    (female)

Keriflys HB User

I had posterior laminectomy with fusion 3-7. The surgery was 18 days ago. I sleep in recliner every night because laying flat hurts really bad. Last night was the first night I slept through the entire night since the surgery. I'm not going to sugar coat it, it's rough. It's really hard to find a comfortable position to sleep in, and the pain is absolutely horrid. My favorite things have been the shower chair and hand held removable shower head, lots of pillows, bendy straws, stool softener, netflix, and pain killers and muscle relaxer. They gave me two different pain killers and a muscle relaxer .
    Hope this helps! Good luck!!

The Following User Says Thank You to Keriflys For This Useful Post:
    jeff557 (04-15-2014)
    Old 04-14-2014, 08:20 PM   #4
    jeff557
    (male)

jeff557 HB User

What kind of pain pills and muscle relaxers did you get?

Old 04-14-2014, 09:50 PM   #5
    Keriflys
    (female)

Keriflys HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffntate View Post
    What kind of pain pills and muscle relaxers did you get?

Percocet and tramadol every 4 hours and robaxin 750. ( muscle relaxer) every 8 hours. Stool softener morning & night. The stool softener is just as important as the others!!! Believe me!! I would have appreciated it if they would have sent me home with the Valium too. But my husband was handling all of that. I do have Ativan that I have had to use a few times because I have had a few panic attacks from the pain and the dam collar and well simply because this whole process is very rough.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:53 PM   #6
    jeff557
    (male)

jeff557 HB User

I'm supposed to get Percocet 10 mgs after the pain pump. I'm thinking about asking for Fentanyl instead of morphine in my PCA.

What strength of Percocet did you get?

Old 04-19-2014, 06:57 PM   #7
    CT06405
    Veteran
    (female)

CT06405 HB UserCT06405 HB UserCT06405 HB UserCT06405 HB UserCT06405 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeff557 View Post
    I'm supposed to get Percocet 10 mgs after the pain pump. I'm thinking about asking for Fentanyl instead of morphine in my PCA.

What strength of Percocet did you get?
    I found I had to experiment with pain meds. Usually if I was really bad, 2 extra strength Tylenol and 2 oxycodone a short time later would take care of it.

The only exception was sleeping for the first 10 nights. I would wake up after 4 hours in pain due to lying too flat. I should have put my upper body up higher, like at a 45 degree angle. And no pain meds would work on it, so I'd get up and walk around with ice packs on it, and I'd be a lot better in an hour or two. After 9 or 10 nights I started sleeping through the night. Another option at night was just to knock myself out with an Ambien or valium instead of pain meds.
    Daytime pain was not too bad after the first 2 weeks, although I still have some mild-moderate nerve soreness at two months postop. And I only had a minimally invasive posterior foraminoty at C5 and C6 - no fusion. I wear ice packs on it on and off when I'm home, and that helps a lot.

I note several people on here had weak arms and hands postop. I did also, but it improved greatly after a month of therapy and using the arm a lot. I started PT for the arm 2 weeks postop. The C6 nerve is still about half numb though, all down my arm into my thumb. But I'm not too concerned about numbness, as it's better than pain. Most nerves will heal after about 6-7 months.

Last edited by CT06405; 04-19-2014 at 06:59 PM.

Closed Thread