It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• C5-C6 ACDF difficulty swallowing

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-13-2003, 01:04 AM   #1
    Sherrie P

Sherrie P HB User
    Post C5-C6 ACDF difficulty swallowing

Hi. I had a C5-C6 anterior cervical disc fusion on March 28, 2003. I have had like a lump in my throat that has been getting better, but just won't completely go away. It feels like a pill is stuck and if I get up tight it gets worse. Doctor tells me to just wait it will go away

Anyone have any advise?

Has anyone had this lump felling 3 1/2 months later?

[This message has been edited by Sherrie P (edited 07-13-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2003, 02:19 AM   #2
    tool
    Inactive

tool HB User
    I had fusion in March and still have some trouble swollowing but the good news is that most people with this problem resolve sooner or later and mine has lessened since that awful first six weeks. Usually it is swelling (or so I am told) that just takes a while to go. Some get it, others don't. If it doesn't go away then maybe something is causing it to continue to swell. Have you had a follow up MRI? Maybe you should if you haven't and it doesn't go, even if its just for reassurance that all is well. I am having one tomorrow so I'll let you know if there is something you should know.

[This message has been edited by tool (edited 07-13-2003).]

Old 07-13-2003, 06:01 AM   #3
    firefighter_101
    Inactive

firefighter_101 HB User
    Hello Sherrie P,

Tool is right, each person heals differently. It appears you and I heal the same, slow! lol I have had a terrible time with swelling. My surgery was May 2nd.
    Several calls to the NS, three trips to the gastro doc I can say that I'm getting better. They ballooned my throat July 2nd to open it up and that helped alittle. I completely know what your saying when you talk about something hung in your throat. Mine feels that way every day but at a snails pace, It is better.

Please keep us informed on your progress as several of us "cervie's" can relate directly and ALL will do anything they can to help and offer advise. I hope your better soon.

Harvey

------------------
    Three Level C 4-5,5-6,6-7...Fusion, Grafts and plating.Bone Growth Stimulator worn all the time.

Old 07-13-2003, 11:48 AM   #4
    Sherrie P

Sherrie P HB User
    Smile

Thanks for your feedback!! I'm new to this and it really helped hearing from some other people. At times I feel so alone with this - it is so frustrating. I'm an active person and seems like my life has slowed down. I've started going to a counselor to see if she can help me with the mental portion of this thing.

Tool - please let me know how your MRI goes.

I'm still taking Soma and T-4 for pain and muscles. I don't take them as much as I use to have to.

Seems like stress really plays a number with my throat. The size goes from a pill size to an apple. My NS told me to swish with liquid tylenol every 4-6 hours. It doesn't seem to help much. Trying to give it time.

Thanks for everyones inputs!

Old 07-13-2003, 12:19 PM   #5
    TropicalFox
    (female)

TropicalFox HB User
    Hi Sherrie...

We're surgery buddies! I had mine the same day and so did BDW2... I had 4 level surgery - ACDF with a corpectomy at one of the levels with intervening discectomies as well, with a spinal cage, titanium plate with 6 screws and 2 holes left over at the level of the corpectomy, and a donor bone allograft (i think that's what it's called)... work was done from c3-4 to c6-7 and all i know is that that plate is HUGE!

I have still not recovered my normal voice and still have trouble swallowing. i took my meds crushed up and diluted in water for about 5 weeks when i started taking them cut up in fourths to get them down.

i still can't eat without having a tall glass of water closeby because i'll choke without it... and if i go to costco or sam's club or bj's, i have now learned to bring a bottle of water with me because i almost fainted from choking on a piece of sausage that was being promoed that day... thank God hubby was able to get some soda real fast!

i have been up and down and around the whole nine yards with feeling depressed about this and other things, like not being able to do much of anything!
    but i'm getting better every day and pray to God that i recover my voice to praise Him again and sing to my kids and grandkids... sometimes i am in tears just thinking i will never recover my soprano voice, especially when i can't even modulate my voice enough for a baritone, or project it enough so that i don't have to repeat everything i say!!! it is SO frustrating having to do so since i can't make it any louder and people have to get closer just to hear me (or i have to get closer!)

but still, i KNOW that i would not have the gift of singing if God didn't want me to use it so i KNOW i will get better... as someone else mentioned, it takes a good 6 months to a year to get over this... remember, it's major surgery we went through! our bodies need time to heal, so just go with the flow and it will be much better for you hon...

i know, i know, who'll do the cooking, laundry, and all the rest? well, i guess we'll all just have to delegate and be happy with the results. i've had to bite my tongue and grin and bear it when i've seen what my family considers "t's done, mom", or "let's have pizza" for the 3rd day straight... but i'm healing! i do NOT want to undo anything and be on that operating table again for another almost 4 hours!

so love yourself a whole bunch hon, and close your eyes to the mess!

hugs

sandra

------------------
    " In the middle of every ocean of difficulty is an island of opportunity."
    Author Unknown

Old 07-13-2003, 04:50 PM   #6
    Sherrie P

Sherrie P HB User
    Thanks Sandra!

Your an angel for the uplifting advice! It really helps to talk.

I'll keep you in my prayers and lets stay in touch. My hubby keeps telling me that God is not going to give me more than I can handle and I need to develop a little more patience. He is right, I know...however sometimes it is hard to get the brain and heart to engage together.

The thing I find hard also is my grandchildren. I got to go into the delevery room and it was so exciting to see my precious grandson born and be one of the first to hold him. How ever it sure is hard not to be able to pick him up now. I still have a 10 pound limit. He is almost a year old and approaching 20 pounds. I have fun with him though when people put him on my lap. That is the hard thing is not being able to do it myself.

I do see improvements myself, they are small. I think at times I may set myself back when I get so upset. Thanks for your support!! I'll keep you in my prayers!!

Old 07-14-2003, 07:26 AM   #7
    cardinal
    Senior Veteran

cardinal HB User
    Me too! My surgery was March 18 C5-6-7 fused. My throat feels like a lump is in there. My right gland feels swollen. Some days are worse than others. I smoke and worried that this may have aggravated it? A few weeks after surgery I got an ear infection that went into my throat, I am sure smoking was the culprit. I am trying to quit but under so much stress now with work and disability timing is bad. If alot of people are having the same symptoms atleast I feel better its not due totally to the cigs. cj

Old 07-14-2003, 08:40 AM   #8
    Ann Proctor

Ann Proctor HB User
    Cool

Hi Sherrie

I had surgery 3 weeks ago ACDF at levels 3-4 and 5-6 with bone taken from my hip. I also feel like there's something stuck in my throat. It seems to get worse as the day goes on. Sometimes I wake up at night and feel like I can't breathe properly. I know it's early days yet I'm just hoping it gets better soon.

------------------
    Don't get mad - Get Even!!

Old 08-04-2003, 10:15 PM   #9
    Sherrie P

Sherrie P HB User
    Hi everyone! How is everyones lumps?
    Mine is still there. Some days it really feels like an apple. The other day I got up and it was gone for about an hour. This sure is a frustrating process. Just needed hear if others are still experiencing this too.
    My hubby and NS keeps telling me to just be patient. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/yawn.gif I seem to run out of patience some days faster than others.
    Thanks for listening everyone!!

Sherrie

[This message has been edited by Sherrie P (edited 08-05-2003).]

Old 09-08-2003, 08:48 PM   #10
    Sherrie P

Sherrie P HB User
    Question

How is everyones throat? My surgery was 3/28 and still having some difficulty with throat. At times it feels like an apple in there and other times not so bad. Anyone else experiencing this still?

------------------
    Sherrie

Old 09-09-2003, 06:08 AM   #11
    Saints85

Saints85 HB User
    Hello! I haven't been in this room in a loooong time. My name is Kim and I had an ACDF at C5-C6 1 year and 3 months ago.

I still feel that pressure in my throat like a pill is stuck. I was told it was scar tissue from surgery and it would never completely go away. It has gotten a lot better but is still there. That or I just got use to it!

Have a Great Day!!~~Kim

Old 09-09-2003, 06:46 AM   #12
    firefighter_101
    Inactive

firefighter_101 HB User
    Sherrie,

I'm coming up on 5 months post-op and I still have the same problems but I am getting better.... slowly... I think. I've just decided that this is my life for a year, so I'm just waiting and not worrying about it for now. I think that in thinking this way it helps me too.

Good Luck,
    Harvey

Old 09-09-2003, 08:23 AM   #13
    Deborah2003

Deborah2003 HB User
    I was really worried about this issue pre op so discussed in length with doctor. He said everyone heals differently but the lump in throat feeling "should" go away. There will be some scar tissue that you will feel when you swallow. Oh and post nasal drip can make it feel worse (like a bigger lump) As I JUST had my surgery this past thursday it too soon for me to comment on long term "lump in throat" but man do I feel it now! How soon before I can eat regular foods?
    -----------------------------------------------------
    ACDF C5-6 & C6-7 w/ own bone Sept 4 2003

Old 09-09-2003, 08:56 AM   #14
    more
    (female)

more HB User
    Deborah - I don't know about how soon before you should be able to regular food but I can tell you the hospital thought I could the day after surgery. They would not let me eat the day of surgery and on Friday morning (9:00) they brought me cereal, toast, juice and coffee. One look at that and the anesthesia result set in - that was it (I know too graphic). Then for lunch they brought me pizza. I looked at that and asked how I was supposed to swollow that let alone have it sit in my stomach. I forced it down (small pieces) because I was so hungry but got my sister to go out and find me some yogurt. For dinner they brought me chicken, vegetables and potato. I ate the potatos (mashed) and vegetables - never touched the potato).

Once home from the hospital I started with shakes and soft foods - gradually increasing to solid foods. Had to cut everything up small and I always needed a glass of water close by (usually went through 2-3 10 oz. glasses during a meal) for the next two months or so.

It has been 18 months and I still don't think I have completely gotten rid of the lump in my throat - all depends on how I hold my head.

Old 09-09-2003, 09:10 AM   #15
    firedude

firedude HB User
    Had acdf 4,5,6,7 on May 8th. Its still there, does make me drink lots of water though I can live with it, but, wish it would go away.

bobby

Closed Thread