It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Confused

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-17-2014, 07:03 PM   #1
    dominic50
    (male)

dominic50 HB User
    Confused

Would like to know if anyone has ever had cervical bilateral foraminal stenosis on 3 level's,for me personally C3-5 moderate,C5-6 spondylitic buldge causes moderate canal stenosis,and unconvertebra degenerative hypertrophy causing severe bilateral stenosis.C6-7 Spondylitic disc buldge small,no sig.spinal canal stenosis,but moderate right foramina narrowing. Diagnoses was on 4/12/2012 neurosurgeon sent for PT,and injection's-never took place therapist's decision??? Nueurosurgeon 4/3/2014 recommends again PT w/injection's i'm in terrible shape,and it's down played by him to mild,want's to wait to december a week before next appt for next mri,i mean what's this surgeon thinking about,or is he!? He's Definintly History

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2014, 07:34 AM   #2
    roadiez
    (male)

roadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB User
    Re: Confused

I have... I had 2 or 3 injections that never took either. My PM doctor then sent me to an Ortho-surgeon in Louisville, Ky. after seeing him I had 2 cervical surgeries about 2 months later.
    This is not for all. I am still in pain. But like both of my doctors said. This is not to stop the pain. But to try & stop the progression of possibly getting worse.
    Now this week I am going back to the Neuro-surgeon to get a CT Scan to see if I have 1 or 2 possible levels that did not fuse.

You can see my MRI reports on a thread I started at:
    http://www.healthboards.com/boards/spinal-cord-disorders/937278-going-norton-spine-1-week.html

I hope this helps you out. Like all of the veterans on here will tell you get 2, 3 or more opinions & make sure that you ask & get answers to all of your questions. Also that you are comfortable with your doctors as well.

The Following User Says Thank You to roadiez For This Useful Post:
    dominic50 (05-18-2014)
    Old 05-19-2014, 01:47 PM   #3
    dominic50
    (male)

dominic50 HB User

I appreciate your reply roadiez! I want to know what's the difference between the two,ortho,and neuro surgeon,and is 1 more knowledgable than the other? You say your surgury didn't have much affect on you're pain,did you have more symptom's that it did work for,as a result of nerve compression,and have you ever heard this condition interfering w/ the autonomic nervous system as it does mine?

Old 05-20-2014, 02:52 PM   #4
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

How does your stenosis interfere with the autonomic nervous systems?

Old 05-20-2014, 07:25 PM   #5
    dominic50
    (male)

dominic50 HB User

I've been diagnosed in 95 with dysautonomia(ans dysfunction) Teteri66 which took year's for a diagnosis. I had what felt at about the age of 5,or 6 a problem took place in center of back of neck,constriction of neck muscle in an instant which took place long before the diagnosis.In 2012 i had an mri of cervical which was a mess!! there are "many" causes for this diagnosis.

Last edited by Administrator; 05-20-2014 at 07:49 PM.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:42 AM   #6
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

For most spinal issues it is more a matter of the individual doctor than whether you choose a neurosurgeon or an orthopedic spine surgeon. Their training is very similar when it comes to diseases and mechanics of the spine. Exceptions are things like a spinal deformity where the ortho spine doc might be better, or a tumor inside the spinal canal where the neurosurgeon might be better.

I always suggest, when surgery seems in the cards, that one consult with one of each. While training is similar, sometimes they have a slightly different way of looking at a problem. In some parts of the country, I have noticed that some PCPs tend to refer to neurosurgeons. Also doctors may be influenced by where they did their fellowships.

You will read on the board that a neurosurgeon is superior, but that is simply not true. Some med schools are thinking of combining the two trainings into one -- a "spine surgeon" as they are so similar. It is a matter of who the individual prefers...how the doctor's clinic is run, doctor's personality, etc.

The Following User Says Thank You to teteri66 For This Useful Post:
    dominic50 (05-23-2014)
    Closed Thread