It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Neurostimulation

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-19-2014, 11:50 AM   #1
    ncboomer
    (male)

ncboomer HB User
    Neurostimulation

I qualified for a neurostimulation system to be inserted in the near future, after a test week with a temporary stimulator was successfully completed. I would like to hear from others who have had the stimulator installed permanently-positive or negative comments would be greatly appreciated. I had a back operation a year and a half ago but still am hurting. Your opinions will be appreciated and respected. Thank you ncboomer

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2014, 04:48 PM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: Neurostimulation

Welcome to the board. I usually post on the "back problems" board, but happened to see your post. Wmost of the people posting there have lumbar issues and some have had or have considered a neuro stimulator.

Have you done everything possible to resolve your back issues? I am not a fan of spinal cord stimulators, especially if it is not the only solution left to the person. To me it is a last-ditch attempt to lessen pain, but should only be implanted when all other options have been tried and have failed.

What type of back surgery did you have? Did you see any other spine surgeons post surgery? Sometimes a surgery is not successful because it is not the correct procedure for the problem, or the wrong thing is addressed. This happens more often than surgeons will acknowledge....

Even with a successful trial, the permanent implant may not work well, and it is not without risk. I hate to see people going ahead with something foreign implanted in the spine unless every other option has been explored.

Old 05-22-2014, 06:27 AM   #3
    ncboomer
    (male)

ncboomer HB User

Thank you, teteri66 for your response...I've never done this type of posting(******** aside), so I hope I can explain myself right. January 24, 2012, I had an operation to rebuild my 4 lower vertabre(lumbar fusion, I think it's called) There were no screws or rods used, just cement and pieces of the crumbled vertabre and some bone from my hip. It went well, but months later the pain came back. It was recommended by the neurosurgeon that I try a neuro-stimulator. I wore the temporary trial stimulator, found that it helped, though not 100%, which I expected. I was approved for the permanent implant, but I have some doubts about the longevity of the implant, and the fact that the wire will be embedded into my spine-it's a little scary. My wife volunteers at the neuro desk at our hospital, and she had a chat with one of the surgeons who had some negative opinions, including the fact that sometimes the "permanent" implants only last 2 years. I have June 2 appt. with the surgeon that will be doing the operation(he also did the origional operation).Your advice to inquire about other methods is sound and I'll certainly ask him when I go. One thing he did tell me about the origional operation was for someone my age-69-to have an operation of that severity was somewhat unique. I have a pretty high pain tolerance, but the pain I'm going through makes it tough to be a normal 69 year man, ie, walking for moderate distance stair climbing, and the like. I also take 2 hydrocodon pain pills 6 hours apart per day. I'm sorry I blathered on, I'm new at this stuff. ncboomer

Old 05-22-2014, 12:16 PM   #4
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if you have not fully fused or that you have some instability that is resulting in one or more nerves being "pinched."

Surgeons do not like to have to perform a fusion surgery on more than one or two levels because the chances for a successful outcome is greatly reduced as the number of levels goes up. Attempting to do four levels without using hardware seems like a very procedure with little chance for a successful outcome.

If I were in your position, I would want to find out if there is instability at any of the segments that were included in the procedure. I would want to know if the fusion is complete. I would want to know the condition of the spine and if some revision surgery could be done if there is instability.

I would encourage you to make an appointment with a spine surgeon who had nothing to do with the original surgeon and get a second opinion. I would definitely have at least one consultation with another spine surgeon before agreeing to the implantation of the neuro stimulator.

It would be wonderful if someone could resolve your pain issues rather than just trying to cover it up by the use of the neuro stimulator.

I feel very strongly about this topic because I too had pain after a one level spinal fusion. Doctors didn't see anything wrong on the MRI so recommended I live with the pain, or get a neuro stimulator. I knew something was still not right and felt it was a mechanical issue that could be corrected, so I went from one surgeon to another until I found someone who could help me.

It turned out that I was very unstable and the cause for it could not be seen on MRI films. Eventually I had a three level fusion which "fixed" the problem. I am pretty much back to normal now and am so grateful that I kept looking for answers.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:55 AM   #5
    ncboomer
    (male)

ncboomer HB User

I haven't been this forum in a while, but I finally decided to try some alternate solutions to artificial neuro-stimulation(permanent n-stim impantation). I've just finished 4 weekly sessions of acupuncture, and got some, but not enough relief for my back pain. It has helped somewhat, but I still can't walk a fair distance without pain. It's better when I wake up, from an 8/9 pain level to 5/7 level. I do take hydrocodon ace-twice a day and a prescription for inflammation of the legs. The big test will be tomorrow when I will see a different neuro-surgeon for a second opinion. We'll see what happens then. Bill Murray.

Closed Thread