It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Large C3-T1 posterior lami and fusion coming

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-26-2014, 03:38 AM   #1
    tree frog momma
    (female)

tree frog momma HB User
    Large C3-T1 posterior lami and fusion coming

Hi all,

This is my first post although I have been visiting for a couple of years. Background: fractured C2-3 in auto accident at 19 yrs old. No surgery was done. Tore muscle and tendon and underwent 2+ years of therapy to hold my head up again. Fast forward 20 years to 2010: hit a deer going 60 mph and ruptured all discs from C4-7 and shattered C5. Had ACDF C4-7 with corpectomy of C5, plate and screws. Severe DJD with moderately severe spinal stenosis was the main dx. Had a revision surgery 6 months later when the plate backed out and the fusion failed at C6-7. I'm only 5'1" tall.

Today: I have resulting nerve pain in my right (dominant) arm with severe muscle wasting throughout. I'm in pain everyday, all day. I take an extended release Morphine BID to help. On May 1st, I was rear-ended, totaling my beautiful convertible, and resulting in my first low back and leg pain ever. And my neuro says I need C3-T1 or 2 posterior lami with foraminotomies bilaterally and fusion with all the fun hardware. He says my ACDF is nearly completely failed and my bone is disintegrating around the hardware.

I'm scheduled to undergo surgery on June 23rd and I'm a bit freaked. I hear and read that the posterior surgeries are horribly painful. This is a new neuro for me and I'm trying to get into my old one for a 2nd opinion.
    Your thoughts and advice are appreciated.

Last edited by tree frog momma; 05-26-2014 at 03:42 AM. Reason: Typo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2014, 04:31 PM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: Large C3-T1 posterior lami and fusion coming

Be sure you get several opinions from both ortho spine surgeons and neurosurgeons before agreeing to any surgery. If there are other options, you want to find out now rather than post surgery.

Old 05-26-2014, 04:49 PM   #3
    tree frog momma
    (female)

tree frog momma HB User

Thank you. I prefer neurosurgeons to ortho as I used to work for both types. I have been putting this surgery off for 2+ years as well. I have an appointment next week with another NS and have my feelers out for a 3rd. I am fairly familiar with what I'm looking at on CT scan and it isn't pretty :-(

Have you undergone this style of surgery?

Thanks again !

Old 05-27-2014, 09:38 AM   #4
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

No, my issues are lumbar, where I have had two fusions. Did you have a lumbar MRI? I assume they think your back and leg pain are from spinal cord compression?

Old 05-27-2014, 10:00 AM   #5
    tree frog momma
    (female)

tree frog momma HB User

I am having the c/spine CT and lumbar MRI this Thursday. I have cord compression at 2 cervical levels now, where I had only 1 before this latest accident. The back pain and leg symptoms are all new. I've never suffered from back pain before and I'm hoping I don't have any compression there, as I won't have lumbar surgery. I don't know how you do it. My arm hurts everyday but the neck pain is normal-ish for me. But, with the back pain, I'm hAving trouble moving, bending, etc.

I will update more once we get the scans on Thursday.

Thanks again! :-)

Closed Thread