It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Microdisectomy L5/S1 Post Surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-02-2014, 11:18 PM   #1
    rb30et87
    (male)

rb30et87 HB User
    Microdisectomy L5/S1 Post Surgery

Hi Guys,

I am new to this site, and I live in Australia. Last year in June 2013 I started off with leg pain and just thought this would be just a cramp or muscle or something on those lines, then it got serious and I started getting the worst pain of my life when it became nerve related. I would get lightning bolt shooting pains down my leg (worst pain of my life). I could not be touched otherwise I would get that lightning bolt pain, physios, osteo's tried to touch but I couldn't let them.

After many months of trying different things, I saw a surgeon who straight away said surgery is ur best option if the drugs don't work and it doesn't get better. Obviously I tried the drugs and he also recommended an epidural which I tried and nothing worked at all.

So Feb 4th, 2014 I had the operation done, and it has gradually gotten better n better, I can now walk properly, my posture is sooo much better and I don't get any sharp shooting pains no more. Surgery was a success! I am now 4 months post surgery, I still cant jog or run yet, and my leg I cannot bend still properly without pain underneath my leg. I have to take a panadol or nurofen every few days to ease the pain but I don't want to take any more drugs.

Anybody else in a similar situation? It has been 4 months and I don't want to be like this forever, please tell me it gets better. I want to be able to run and go to the gym again

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2014, 09:51 PM   #2
    rb30et87
    (male)

rb30et87 HB User
    Re: Microdisectomy L5/S1 Post Surgery

bump anyone?

Old 07-30-2014, 09:07 AM   #3
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Welcome to the board. Sorry no one responded to you sooner.

Surgery at the L5/S1 level can be a bit tricky when it comes to rehab...particularly in the case of a fusion, but I would imagine that a discectomy could cause some of the same issues....

Often the attachment where the hamstring attaches up near the edge of the buttocks can become sore and it makes the hamstring muscle and associated soft tissue tight.

This tightness is very normal post surgery. I would encourage you to be patient...keep walking for exercise and then very gradually add a tiny bit of jogging. Give your body plenty of time to get used to the new activity before trying to add more time running...increase VERY gradually.

Have you had any physio therapy since surgery? If not, that might be a good way to ease back in to your more normal routine....

Old 07-30-2014, 05:59 PM   #4
    rb30et87
    (male)

rb30et87 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teteri66 View Post
    Welcome to the board. Sorry no one responded to you sooner.

Surgery at the L5/S1 level can be a bit tricky when it comes to rehab...particularly in the case of a fusion, but I would imagine that a discectomy could cause some of the same issues....

Often the attachment where the hamstring attaches up near the edge of the buttocks can become sore and it makes the hamstring muscle and associated soft tissue tight.

This tightness is very normal post surgery. I would encourage you to be patient...keep walking for exercise and then very gradually add a tiny bit of jogging. Give your body plenty of time to get used to the new activity before trying to add more time running...increase VERY gradually.

Have you had any physio therapy since surgery? If not, that might be a good way to ease back in to your more normal routine....
    Thanks for your reply, yer my leg/calf only seems to hurt while im sitting down and then when I bend my leg out straight, it will hurt in my calf region.

I do a lot of walking now. I could probably even jog/run but I don't want to as of yet.

I have been doing physio but hasn't been the best physio treatment as its done through the hospital.

Closed Thread