It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• One week out from ACDF ; questions

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-06-2014, 09:43 PM   #1
    Elphie123
    (female)

Elphie123 HB User
    One week out from ACDF ; questions

For several years I had pain in my neck that would not go away for any length of time. I work with computers at work so when my right shoulder began really hurting when I would reach over my head to pull down something off a shelf I figured I strained something, Then my right arm would go numb then tingly down to my fingertips. I had x-rays and MRIs of my spine, my arm, my hand. I thought it was bone cancer, carpal tunnel, spinal problems...scary! We tried meds, physical therapy,steroid injections. Everything worked for about a minute. I was finally referred to a wonderful surgeon. He explained that the best way to end the pains would be to do the C4-5, C5-6, and C6-7 ACDF; Surgery went great. Xray showed everything in proper position. Morphine and valium i became my best friends for one day. When I left the hospital the day after surgery, I was given Norco and valium, and I took then faithfully even though I thought I was choking every time I tried to swallow even water. Now, one week after surgery,I still eat a lot of yogurt, popsicles, but tonight I ate a bowl of cereal! I have said all of the above to lead to an important question...

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME KEEP MY NECK STRAIGHT--HEAD LOOKING STRAIGHT AHEAD??

I bend over to pick something up or I put the dog dish down, or I bend over to get something out of the freezer---you get the picture, There are a million things that I do everyday that I don't even think about. As soon as I realize what I am doing, I straighten right up, but am I hurting myself doing this? I wear the collar 24/7, it fits properly, and I check it daily to make sure that
    it is tight enough.

Any ideas what I can do to not bend my head forward? That was one thing that the nurses warned me about, Thanks for any help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread

Tags
    neck brace 3 level fusion