It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• MRI of cervical spine

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-12-2014, 10:19 AM   #1
    locokitty
    (female)

locokitty HB User
    MRI of cervical spine

I would appreciate any info any one has with the following: I have terrible headaches and blood pressure spikes since an auto accident. I had an MRI done of the cervical spine and the findings are as follows:
    Degenerative disc changes are severe at C5-6 and C6-7 with narrowing and loss of disc space signal. Marginal osteophytes cause moderate stenosis of the neural foramen bilateral.
    At C5-6 there is an additional right paracentral epidural defect consistent with disc and osteophyte causing more severe stenosis of the right neural foramen.
    Additional moderate central disc bulge or protrusion is noted at C6-7 touching upon the cord centrally.
    There is straightening of the normal cervical lordotic curvature. Every thing else is within normal limits. Any experiences someone has would be helpful.
    Thank you,

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2014, 03:52 PM   #2
    ChuckStr
    Veteran
    (male)

ChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB User
    Re: MRI of cervical spine

I'm not a dr and I don't know what could be causing your headaches and blood pressure spikes but I know a bit about cervical MRIs having read up for the several that I've had.

Your cervical spine has 7 vertebra, c1 - c7.

Degenerative disc changes with narrowing and loss of signal - Your vertebrae are separated by "disks" that contain a gel like substance that cushions your movements (and prevents the vertebrae from rubbing together). Over time, or from abnormal wear etc, these discs degenerate. The gel like substance hardens (which causes the disc signal to change on MRI) and the disc loses height (narrows) making it more likely that the vertebrae will rub together. The radiologist indicates that the degeneration is severe which generally indicates the highest level of degeneration. (Mild, moderate and severe are common demarcations).

Marginal osteophytes cause moderate stenosis of the neural foramen bilaterally - osteophytes are bone spurs that develop from bones (in this case the vertebrae) rubbing together. Marginal means around the periphery of the vertebrae. The spinal cord runs through a hole in the back of the vertebrae and nerve roots come off both sides of the cord between the bone structures of adjacent vertebrae. Those spaces between the vertebrae structures are called neural (nerve) foramen. In your case, the bone spurs are pushing into this space "moderately" on both your right and left nerve roots at C5-C6 and C6-C7.

C5-C6 additional right paracentral... - Just means that in addition to the peripheral bone spur, there is also disc and bone spur displacement more to the right central space of the cord more severely narrowing the space for the right nerve root.

disc bulge at c6/7 touching cord centrally - The disk separates the body of the vertebrae with the hole holding the spinal cord behind that body. Your disk has pushed out from between the bodies of the c6 and c7 vertebrae toward your spinal cord, and in fact is touching the spinal cord.

There is straightening... - Normally your cervical spine curves from front to back, straightening means that there is a reduction of that curve. The radiologist doesn't mention how much or if there is any instability so it's hard to say what effect there could be.

Do you get your headaches in the back of your head? That could possibly be related. Disk herniations are certainly possible due to MVA but I don't know how that relates to your current symptoms. You'd expect more pain/tingling/numbness along your right arm/shoulder if something was going on due to the pathology on your MRI. At any rate you need to discuss your current symptoms and MRI with your dr.

Good Luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to ChuckStr For This Useful Post:
    Alizarin (06-15-2014)
    Old 06-16-2014, 01:37 PM   #3
    locokitty
    (female)

locokitty HB User
    Smile Re: MRI of cervical spine

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChuckStr View Post
    I'm not a dr and I don't know what could be causing your headaches and blood pressure spikes but I know a bit about cervical MRIs having read up for the several that I've had.

Your cervical spine has 7 vertebra, c1 - c7.

Degenerative disc changes with narrowing and loss of signal - Your vertebrae are separated by "disks" that contain a gel like substance that cushions your movements (and prevents the vertebrae from rubbing together). Over time, or from abnormal wear etc, these discs degenerate. The gel like substance hardens (which causes the disc signal to change on MRI) and the disc loses height (narrows) making it more likely that the vertebrae will rub together. The radiologist indicates that the degeneration is severe which generally indicates the highest level of degeneration. (Mild, moderate and severe are common demarcations).

Marginal osteophytes cause moderate stenosis of the neural foramen bilaterally - osteophytes are bone spurs that develop from bones (in this case the vertebrae) rubbing together. Marginal means around the periphery of the vertebrae. The spinal cord runs through a hole in the back of the vertebrae and nerve roots come off both sides of the cord between the bone structures of adjacent vertebrae. Those spaces between the vertebrae structures are called neural (nerve) foramen. In your case, the bone spurs are pushing into this space "moderately" on both your right and left nerve roots at C5-C6 and C6-C7.

C5-C6 additional right paracentral... - Just means that in addition to the peripheral bone spur, there is also disc and bone spur displacement more to the right central space of the cord more severely narrowing the space for the right nerve root.

disc bulge at c6/7 touching cord centrally - The disk separates the body of the vertebrae with the hole holding the spinal cord behind that body. Your disk has pushed out from between the bodies of the c6 and c7 vertebrae toward your spinal cord, and in fact is touching the spinal cord.

There is straightening... - Normally your cervical spine curves from front to back, straightening means that there is a reduction of that curve. The radiologist doesn't mention how much or if there is any instability so it's hard to say what effect there could be.

Do you get your headaches in the back of your head? That could possibly be related. Disk herniations are certainly possible due to MVA but I don't know how that relates to your current symptoms. You'd expect more pain/tingling/numbness along your right arm/shoulder if something was going on due to the pathology on your MRI. At any rate you need to discuss your current symptoms and MRI with your dr.

Good Luck!

Old 06-16-2014, 01:43 PM   #4
    locokitty
    (female)

locokitty HB User
    Re: MRI of cervical spine

Thank you so much for putting this in layman's terms for me! My headaches start at the base of my skull and radiate to the front. Never ending in the last 2 months I have had one headache day free ugh!! I am scheduled to meet with my physician at the end of this week it can't get here soon enough! Lol

Closed Thread