It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• C5-C6 fusion with right side paralysis after.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-20-2014, 04:45 PM   #1
    rofarm
    (male)

rofarm HB User
    Thumbs down C5-C6 fusion with right side paralysis after.

My wife recently had a C5-C6 fusion and after recovery was totally paralyzed on her right side. CT was done and too much artifact to rule anything out. Surgeon said it could be a blood clot pressing on the cord so he went back in to see. Nothing there. MRI the next morning showed a bruise on the cord. I am now finding out that while in recovery after the first surgery, she was sick and throwing up constantly. She told me she had to roll herself over to keep from choking and all the recovery nurse would do is yell at her to wake up and mover her right arm and leg. She told her she was awake and moved everything else but her right arm and leg. Even her toes or fingers would not move. The nurse acted disgusted and returned to her desk and continued to yell at her to wake up. One her way down to x-ray for CT nobody held a bag for her, she had to do it herself and continued to throw up, now just dry heaves. They would not let me go back to see her after either of the surgeries and when she returned to her room, I was aghast at what I saw. Her right hand was contorted like a question mark and she could move nothing on her right side.
    Here we are a week later and while in Physical Therapy she is now able to stand with help, walk with a walker (barely) and can move only her thumb and raise her arm up even to her face where it immediately slaps her in the nose.
    She is very upbeat and has a good attitude about recovery. I am afraid it will change about week 4. I want to know 2 things. 1. Has this happened to anyone else, and 2. What is the standard of care for recovery room patients after a neck surgery. I highly doubt the standard is to yell at your patients and belittle them while you sit at your desk and eat cookies. I might add, I have complete confidence in the surgeon. He is very skilled, preforms several of these operations a week, and is very concerned. He immediately came to her room with a computer showing us the before and after MRI results. Any comments welcomed.

Last edited by rofarm; 06-20-2014 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Wanted to clarify some things and correct spelling.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread

Tags
    c5 c6, care giver, disectomy, paralyzed, recovery