It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• 2 Broken Vertebrates

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-04-2014, 07:01 AM   #1
    Dawnsfordays
    (female)

Dawnsfordays HB User
    2 Broken Vertebrates

Hi there,

I just stumbled upon this website when I was searching for information so this is my first post!!

About 6-7 weeks ago I fell off a decently high distance into the sand on my back and broke my thoracic 7 and thoracic 12 vertebrates. My doctor told me not to engage in any contact sports, take an anti-inflammatory if needded, and basically wait for 3 months for it to heal.

I was surprised how better it felt after only a few weeks. I used to have throbbing pain that would come and go but it has eased up a lot. The last 2 weeks I haven't had to take any medication. I'm still in pain and unable to lift/do a lot of things but the pain isn't unbearable.

However recently in the last few days my left shoulder blade area has been incredibly sore. I can only sleep a few hours a night before my it's so irritated I haven to sit up. Sometimes moving my arm out to the side is incredibly painful and I feel irritation on my left ribcage right under my breast. All the pain is only on one side but is getting worse.

I'm not sure if it's strained muscle or if somehow something has moved or pushed up against my ribs? Coughing, laughing and taking a deep breath are all quite painful.

My doctor never ordered anything except for x-rays so I'm wondering is it worth getting another x-ray or an MRI or should I get it looked at agin? Is this a vertebrates issue, could it be healing wrong or getting worse? Or is it most likely just strained/ tired muscle?
    Probably hard to tell by my description but anything helps.

Thank you!

Ash

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2014, 01:57 PM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: 2 Broken Vertebrates

Welcome to the board, and sorry to hear of the reason you find yourself here. If I may politely correct something...the two bones that broke are vertebrae. A vertebrate is a classification of matter that has a skeleton. We are vertebrates because our bodies have vertebrae!

When you go to the doctor you will want to talk of broken vertebrae and how they are healing! (A vertebra is a single bone...vertebrae is the plural form of the word.)

Too many people deal with continuing thoracic spine problems due to assuming their injury was healing correctly. I would go back for further imaging to see what is causing your new pain. I would not assume it is caused by sore muscles, etc.. The vertebrae could be healing wrong or be out of position or something similar.

Closed Thread