It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Tethered cord release surgery this Friday!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-16-2014, 10:56 AM   #1
    littlebitlarisa
    (female)

littlebitlarisa HB User
    Tethered cord release surgery this Friday!

My surgery is Friday and I feel like I am going to go crazy with this anxiety. I am trying to think out everything that I will need after the surgery and during recovery. My last recovery was awful and I am praying that it is better this time. So what do you think I need?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2014, 11:17 AM   #2
    gmak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User
    Re: Tethered cord release surgery this Friday!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by littlebitlarisa View Post
    My surgery is Friday and I feel like I am going to go crazy with this anxiety. I am trying to think out everything that I will need after the surgery and during recovery. My last recovery was awful and I am praying that it is better this time. So what do you think I need?
    Hi larisa, You are probably in surgery already & i am praying for you! I have a tethered cord also & have had bad recoveries from back surgery but praying all goes perfectly well & you have a great recovery with no complications. Anxious to hear how much better you feel & how surgery went. God bless you!

Old 07-26-2014, 07:07 PM   #3
    littlebitlarisa
    (female)

littlebitlarisa HB User

Surgery over and I am glad to be feeling better. Surgeon did dethether what she could but does not feel it will easy my pain. The arachnidosis is the major problem and is worse than the MRI suggested. So much of it I still do not understand but I am writing a list of questions for my next checkup. If anyone has any advice on it I welcome it I think I will also make a separate post on it. My pain was not managed and I think I blocked out a lot of what happened after I woke up in recovery. Luckily I had a lot of wonderful family there for me and they were my voice and I so needed that. I was very disappointed with the care I received at times but was amazed by some nurses kindness and understanding others not so much. I am home but am still in a lot of pain but I felt I could get better care by my family than by the hospital. I think that is sad because ICU was the WORST! I was going to go to rehab but was scared I would experience the same thing there. I had bladder bowel and nerve complications. My nerves are all balled up and they said that nothing could be done. I will walk but maybe not be be able to come off a walker. That really scares me but I will get through this. I am just venting my concerns and mean no disrespect to those of you who have the same or worse complications. I do not mean to whine but I am scared that my life is going to change so much. My job deals with horses and precious kids so I cannot and will not be a liability. So so many out there of you have so much more experience with this and I am amazed at your positiveness. I am doing my best and have had only one very negative day. I would type forever on my experience but I need to rest again. I am sure I will be back to tell more. Thank you for listening. -Larisa

Old 07-26-2014, 09:24 PM   #4
    gmak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Hi larisa, Im so glad you are home & have family to care for you well! It sounds like you were very sick post op or required a lot more care than i have ever experienced with back surgery & in nicu mustve been very hard on you & especially if you didnt feel cared for properly. I have arachnoiditis also & on your thread mri deciphering posted a bit about it & also there is an arachnoiditis board here on healthboards too with alot of threads & information about arachnoiditis. After back surgery in my post op instrctions i was supposed to take short little walks in the house every hour or so to straighten out the spinal nerves to prevent scarring while healing post op & wondered if you are able to do that on your post op instructions & even though the spinal nerves are glued to the dura from arachnoiditis it might help some in preventing more
    scarring. I have had arach since i was 31 but didnt know until i was 56 & drs only told me i had it & didnt explain it so i had to learn about it myself but also had so much wisdom, help understanding & support from dear members on healthboards & i will be glad to help or answer
    anything i can & i remember how i first felt when i was diagnosed & i had alot of fear that my life would change drastically & my family doubted several times like after surgeries if i would ever be
    stable again & i am & you will be too! Arachnoiditis tends to worsen after an injury, surgery, trip or fall but then it plateaus after awhile & levels off especially if no more invasive spine procedures according to my pain mgmt dr & other than needing pain mgmt i am still ok. Sending you best wishes for your recovery!

Old 07-26-2014, 09:51 PM   #5
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

First things first. Just take it one day at a time. Devote your energy right now to healing from the surgery. There will be plenty of time later to address the other issues. Give yourself a few minutes each day to worry about these issues, but then put it away and focus on your healing.

Sending healing prayers your way....

Old 07-28-2014, 09:45 PM   #6
    littlebitlarisa
    (female)

littlebitlarisa HB User

Thank you!

I writhed in pain after recovery and they put me on a regular floor. Last time I went directly to ICU. They had to pretty much sedate me as the dr did not want me moving for 3 days due to how she had to seal the incision and how you are usually on your back 48 hours after a tether release. They put me from the regular floor into ICU then to what they called "step down" and then to the neurology floor.

I am 24 and the MRI is the first time I had every heard of the arachnoiditis and it was not even discussed pre-op much. I am just scared about how it is only treat the symptom not the cause. But I will research and learn all that I can to be better prepared to deal with this. I am a strong woman and I will get through. Some days especially when the pain is bad i get down but I always bounce right back up.

If I can just get back to where I was pre-op I will be so happy. I had pain but I tolerated it without narcotic meds. I will take them if I have to but I do not want to.

I did this surgery in hopes that I would be released to ride horses again but thinking about it and now after the surgery I have been through I am not sure it is worth the risk.

I am getting up often but maybe not hourly more like 2-3. I am not allowed to even attempt without assistance and I will not go against drs wishes over this. I am getting stronger on it and feel myself putting less and less weight on it.

They also did not send me home with a catheter resource so I am trying to get into a urologist to get that worked out. I have a contact I just don't know remember how that works. Last time I went to the urologist and got samples and picked what I liked and they ordered them and they were delivered to my house. Does insurance usually help with the cost of them? I called and the nurse said she would put a note into the dr but that he wont be back until Wednesday. Thankfully the hospital sent me with enough to last until probably Friday. I wouldn't worry so much if I could pass urine without them but I try and try and nothing happens.

What do they have that is a step down from a walkers support?

Sorry for all of the questions but I figure that this is the place to ask them. You seem like a wonderful and supportive group.

Gmak Thanks I will check out the arachnoiditis board!

Tetere66 Thanks for the positive words. I can do this!

Closed Thread