It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Thoracic Disc Herniation t7-t8

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-25-2014, 10:41 AM   #1
    TriniJohnny
    (male)

TriniJohnny HB User
    Thoracic Disc Herniation t7-t8

Ok so I saw the neurologist followed by the neurosurgeon over the past two weeks. Seems i have a sizeable herniation but after a period of about 4 - 5 days with diminished feeling in both legs and coordination issues.

The feelings and sensations are returning. Initially i was walking like someone suffering from parkinsons to give you a visual. Especially the left leg was more diminished than the right. However, with the return of feeling, my walking has greatly improved. The neurosurgeon has decided to take a wait and see approach but has put me on strictly no strenuous activity for at least three (3) months.

I do cycling almost every day and play tennis to a level where i participate in tournaments so i know it is going to be quite a challenge to not do anything but according to the surgeon had he seen me 2 weeks ago i would have been rushed to the operating table as he would have believed i was in danger of becoming paralysed.

Does anyone know of the chances for recovery from disc herniation such as mine without surgery?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2014, 07:12 AM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: Thoracic Disc Herniation t7-t8

Welcome to the board. Is this disc herniation in the lumbar area? If so, I can tell you that the motions involved in playing tennis are very stressful to the spine. Twisting is hard enough but then when force is also applied at the same time, it creates a situation that is very hard on the discs.

My husband ruptured the disc between L5 and S1 many years ago. He was able to heel it without surgical intervention. He rested initially and then began a course of physical therapy. Back then, they didn't do spinal injections. He was very careful in activity, posture, etc. and just continued his exercises to strengthen his core and back, and walked for exercise. My recollection is it took about six months to heal.

Even with surgery, it takes a good six months for the disc to heal up, even though many surgeons tell patients they will be "recovered" in six weeks.

Many golf and tennis players end up with disc herniations as a result of the torque that is involved in striking the ball. I would think you would need to stop playing until you are completely recovered.

People often elect to have surgery because they think they will get "back to normal" sooner and they cannot tolerate the pain. However, research shows that two years out from surgery, the results are the same whether people had surgery or healed on their own. And of course, surgery on the spine is not without the potential of risk.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:17 AM   #3
    TriniJohnny
    (male)

TriniJohnny HB User
    Re: Thoracic Disc Herniation t7-t8

Hi and thanks for the welcome and my herniation is actually in the thoracic region so middle of the back which seems someone rare. My lumbar area is just fine. The Doc was doubtful this injury came from tennis but he was considering a combination of activities from lifting activities over a 2 - 3 week period along with twisting while lifting and thrown in there flipping a tractor tyre 3 times and he believes that possible accumulated to have this result. I personally prefer to have my body heal itself once at all possible. I had read about the operations and i certainly was not looking forward to potentially having to remove anything. So about 6 months you said? Is your husband back to normal mobility now?

Last edited by mod85; 07-28-2014 at 11:28 AM.

Closed Thread