It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• 3 Level ACDF C3-4, C4-5, C5-6. Twice in 3 Weeks

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-01-2014, 09:04 PM   #1
    hopeschool
    (female)

hopeschool HB User
    3 Level ACDF C3-4, C4-5, C5-6. Twice in 3 Weeks

On July 3, 2014, I had a 3 level acdf on C3-4. C4-5, and C5-6. At my 2 week checkup, my x-rays showed that the lowest level, C5-6, the hardware was not taking hold. So, I was set for another surgery one week later, July 25, 2014, to repair the hardware at that level. I have osteoporosis and very thin bone, so my doctor put in a larger plate and screws. I do not have to wear a collar which I hear is a real pain. Yesterday, a medical personnel came to the house with a bone growth stimulator that I need to wear for 4 hours every day. Not a problem at all. I'm not taking many pain meds at all. The problem I seem to be having at this time is that of stumbling while walking either to the left or right, or even forward and backward. Luckily, there is usually something there to catch myself on. I make a joke of maybe the new hardware is heavier in my neck and it's throwing me off balance but I really don't know what it is. I called the doctor's office yesterday and they asked the usual questions of am I eating enough, cutting down on my meds, etc. I started using a walker today to see how that would help. It did but I still don't like the fact of feeling off balance all the time. If it is still going on this coming Monday, I will call the doctor's office back. My mood hasn't been the best either. I feel so misplaced (at my sister's, thank God for her), I want to go home to my own bed and animals but don't think I should be alone if anything was to happen. Sorry for the ranting and raving. Just wondered if anyone else has ever felt like I am feeling right now and if anyone had any suggestions! Any and all will be greatly appreciated! Good healing to all of you!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2014, 11:07 AM   #2
    ChuckStr
    Veteran
    (male)

ChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB User
    Re: 3 Level ACDF C3-4, C4-5, C5-6. Twice in 3 Weeks

I'm not a Dr but it is possible that the revision surgery caused some pressure on your spinal cord. This could cause problems with balance. Do you notice any problems with hand coordination, weakness (especially lifting your foot up stairs or tripping etc), or bowel/bladder issues? These would be further evidence of spinal cord trauma.

This can be a delicate issue to discuss with your surgeon since they obviously want to believe that everything went well and there are no problems. I think it is worth following up and perhaps getting another MRI to see if the hardware is causing issues. Normally I would suggest getting a 2nd opinion but it may be difficult with the existing surgery as surgeons generally shy away from other people's work. If you are not getting satisfaction with your surgeon though, I would try a 2nd opinion perhaps at a university teaching hospital if possible as they may be more amenable to looking at other surgeons' work. Let us know how it goes and Good Luck...

Closed Thread