It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Bilateral foraminal surgury

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-19-2014, 09:52 PM   #1
    dominic50
    (male)

dominic50 HB User
    Bilateral foraminal surgury

Wishing all the best! I really am at a loss when it comes to this kind of surgury,and how difficult it would be to perform. I have from the last mri have moderate bilateral foraminal stenosis at the C3-5 levels,and C5-6 level is severe bilaterally,and moderate on right side on C6,and progressing. has anyone here had this type or similar surgury? Thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2014, 02:47 PM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: Bilateral foraminal surgury

It all depends on whether it is only necessary to do the foraminal areas or if something else needs to be done as well...such as a fusion to stabilize the segments.

I had foraminal surgery in the lumbar spine and it was a breeze...but there is more room in lumbar than there is in the cervical area, so your experience may be very different.

The Following User Says Thank You to teteri66 For This Useful Post:
    dominic50 (08-21-2014)
    Old 08-20-2014, 11:37 PM   #3
    ChuckStr
    Veteran
    (male)

ChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB User
    Re: Bilateral foraminal surgury

It largely depends on your symptoms as well. Moderate and even severe foraminal narrowing may not cause any. Often, according to my surgeons, they will only target areas that are causing symptoms. Also, since you don't seem to have any central canal stenosis or cord compression, it's possible that conservative methods such as PT, steroids (orally, or epidurally), traction etc may be beneficial. What are your current symptoms and have you discussed conservative treatment and or surgical options with your Dr?

If you had to have a 4 level ACDF (just as an example), that would be a huge surgery whereas a single level foraminotomy would be a relatively non-invasive procedure (although any surgery carries risks).

Closed Thread