It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Need Help Understanding My Cervical MRI Results!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-30-2014, 06:50 PM   #1
    Smb117
    (female)

Smb117 HB User
    Question Need Help Understanding My Cervical MRI Results!

I have been having headaches and neck pain for. Few months now so the surgeon who performed my most recent lumbar fusion ordered an MRI to see what was going on. I received a copy of my MRI today and hope somebody can tell me what it all means. When he went over it with me he said everything was fine but after reading it, I am not so sure. Several things in the report are worrying me and I need clarification!

C5: Lesion, such as metastatic disease, recommend CT or bone scan for further evaluation. Focal T1 T2 hypointensity in C5 vertebral body, possible bone island.

C2/3: Moderate neuroforaminal narrowing
    C3/4: Mild bilateral uncovertebral joint hypertrophy, moderate left facet arthropathy, moderate left neuroforaminal narrowing.
    C4/5: mild broad based disc osteophyte complex, uncovertebral bilateral joint hypertrophy with facet arthropathy, bilateral neuroforaminal narrowing.
    C5/6: same as C4/5, but all at moderate stage
    C6/7: same as C4/5

Impression:
    Multi level degenerative disc disease...worse at C5/6
    Multi level degenerative joint disease....worse at C5/6
    Spinal stenosis....worse at C5/6

Osseous neoplasm at C5...evaluate further

Straightening of normal cervical lordosis

Thanks ahead of time for any help or explanation given!
    Susan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2014, 01:38 PM   #2
    ChuckStr
    Veteran
    (male)

ChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB User
    Re: Need Help Understanding My Cervical MRI Results!

The potentially most concerning finding is at C5 : The radiologist saw a region within the vertebra that was darker than the surrounding bone on both T1, and T2 MRI. This most likely indicates osteophyte formation within the bone (bone island as suggested). The radiologist also alludes to the possibility of metastatic disease which would be a migration of a tumor to the vertebra in your neck. This would more commonly show differently on MRI (bright spot on T2, dark on T1). Apparently, your surgeon was not concerned by this and I've been told that radiologists often "over-read" MRIs to avoid liability. I don't know if that's true, but you may want to discuss a follow up ct/bone scan with your surgeon or get a second opinion if that result worries you.

Throughout your cervical spine, you have arthritis which is causing various areas of your vertebrae to develop bone spurs which are narrowing the space for the nerves that come out between each pair of vertebra (this is what neuroforaminal narrowing means). This is graded on a scale that normally includes minimal, mild, moderate and severe. Yours tends to be mostly moderate with mild at c4/5, c6/7. There is also "straightening of the normal cervical lordosis" which means that normally, your cervical spine is slightly curved and yours has straightened. This can sometimes indicate instability in the spine and thus more likelihood for injury but the lack of information regarding severity makes it diagnostically uncertain.

These findings could be causing your neck pain but it's unclear based on the severity and the lack of information in the report concerning actual nerve impingement. I would discuss this with your surgeon and if he doesn't believe this is causing your pain I would find out what he thinks is causing it. A second opinion may be in order if you are not getting answers.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Old 09-02-2014, 02:10 PM   #3
    Smb117
    (female)

Smb117 HB User

Thank you! I am actually going to see a new doctor tomorrow for a 2nd opinion and plan to ask about this along with my other issues relating to my lumbar spine. I will keep the board informed as to what I find out!

Old 09-03-2014, 03:35 PM   #4
    Smb117
    (female)

Smb117 HB User

Great news! The new doctor wants to do a bone scan to see what's going on! Will keep the board posted as soon as I have the results!

Closed Thread