It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Getting ready to have ACDF, anxious

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-07-2014, 06:28 AM   #1
    cynmarie813
    (female)

cynmarie813 HB User
    Getting ready to have ACDF, anxious

Having ACDF on Wednesday and feeling a little anxious. I have read board after board and all of the information is different. People I know that have had the surgery have had different results, but months later, they are all fine. But a lot of the boards have people that have had issues with the procedure. Anyway, thanks to everyone that posted their stories either way as it helps people like me that are getting ready to have surgery. I have never had any kind of neck/back issues when I developed arm and shoulder pain last October. After many doctor visits, they finally sent me for an MRI (which I had never had before). I went thinking it was no big deal and had a major panic attack and could not do it. (I had never had a panic attack before). So found an open MRI and that was a little better, managed to complete it. Any comments about your own experience with ACDF are greatly appreciated. Also read today that this surgery is actually the same one that Peyton Manning had before his comeback, so that is encouraging.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2014, 11:25 PM   #2
    ChuckStr
    Veteran
    (male)

ChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB User
    Re: Getting ready to have ACDF, anxious

One of the things to keep in mind is that a lot of people with positive outcomes are off living their lives, not posting to boards like this one. That potentially leads to a picture skewed toward poorer outcomes.

In one long term study in Europe they found that over 90% of the patients that underwent ACDF were happy with the outcome at two years post surgery. This reduced to about 70% over the course of the study where people were studied for an average of 13 years. Adjacent segment disease and non-fusion complications accounted for most of this difference. For things like adjacent segment disease which makes up the bulk of the complications, it's never clear if that is due to the surgery or would have happened at any rate.

Overall, if you have a competent surgeon, it's realistic to expect significant improvement although complications are possible. Good luck and let us know how your surgery goes...

Old 09-09-2014, 07:01 AM   #3
    Ruffdogster
    (male)

Ruffdogster HB User
    Re: Getting ready to have ACDF, anxious

I am having my second ACDF 9/15 C5/6/ C6/7 My first went very well, I was in at 6am and out at 5 pm. I have a very good ortho surgeon, who I WOULD LET REMOVE MY BRAIN AND PUT IT BACK! I am not a normal patient, I believe in playing hard and usually after surgery I continue to do things some people would wait months to do. All the people who have this surgery are different and have different results, so don't be nervous, relax and do what the Doctor tells you to do and you will be just fine. Good Luck to you!

Closed Thread

Tags
    acdf, anxious