HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Spinal Cord Disorders (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/spinal-cord-disorders/)
-   -   C1-C2 laxity questions (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/spinal-cord-disorders/989822-c1-c2-laxity-questions.html)

Alisar 09-22-2014 05:18 PM

C1-C2 laxity questions

I am 17 months post auto accident. We were rear ended last year and at the time I was leaning forward and looking to the driver with my right arm extended. I still have yet to receive a definitive diagnosis but my physical therapists and neurosurgeon are leaning towards c1- c2 laxity. My symptoms have ranged from no neck mobility, right leg numbness, dibilatating headaches, inability to leave my house with out significant amounts of pain. I've also been in the er 3 times in the past year for what they were calling neuralgia since at one point my right leg was bending backwards when I tried to walk as well as stomach pain from what may be a neurogenic bowel. Most recently I have started to increase activity since my flexibility and pain levels have improved. However, I hit a point and when I start to feel run down, I feel a slide in my neck, then a clunk, and then my right leg hurts (like nerve pain down the outside). I also have numb toes on my right foot on and for most days. I am moving around better than in previous months so am very afraid to lose that if they do strongly recommend the c1-c2 fusion.
What i am interested to know is what sort of diagnostic tests can be done to tell the amount my c2 is shifting? Can they tell how risky the shift is to my brain stem or spinal cord with some sort of testing?
I don't want the surgery but I am still so limited it may be the only possibility. I've had occipital nerve blocks, cervical epidural, and a lot of trigger point injections for headaches.
Also, what does anyone know about prolotherapy at that level and success rates/difficulties.
I am going to see my neurosurgeon next week for another follow up
Thanks

teteri66 09-27-2014 08:20 PM

Re: C1-C2 laxity questions

Welcome to the board. Sorry no one responded to your post sooner.

Prolotherapy can be very effective in treating laxity at any level of the spine. Just as with selecting a spine surgeon, it is very important to find someone who has a lot of experience with this treatment. I've noticed that some pain management doctors are starting to offer what they call prolotherapy...and I really wonder what type of training they have....

Sometimes because someone has a medical degree, he/she can get abbreviated training in some treatments such as acupuncture, for example. I guess the thinking is because the person is already a doctor, there is a smaller learning curve...while in effect, the person ends up just knowing the very basics about the treatment...and the patient would be better off going to someone who only does acupuncture and has had the complete course and "internship" experience.

Let us know what your neurosurgeon had to say!