It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• help with my MRI C-Spine w/o Contrast

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-11-2014, 12:17 PM   #1
    cthienes
    (female)

cthienes HB User
    help with my MRI C-Spine w/o Contrast

Findings:
    The craniocervical junction and cervical spinal cord have normal signal. Straightening of the cervical spine. Mild disc desiccation throughout the cervical spine present. Normal cervical vertebral body height and alignment. Probable small hemangioma versus focal fat at C5.

At C2-C3, no disc protrusion or canal stenosis. No neural foraminal narrowing
    At C3-C4, right paracentral disc bulge without canal stenosis or neural foraminal narrowing.
    At C4-C5, no disc protrusion or canal stenosis, No neural foraminal narrowing
    At C5-C6, 2 mm disc osteophyte complex without canal stenosis. No neural foraminal narrowing
    At C6-C7, minimal disc osteophyte complex without canal stenosis or neural foraminal narrowing.
    At C7-T1, no disc protrusion, canal stenosis or neural foraminal narrowing.

Impression:
    Mild reversal of the normal cervical lordosis with right paracentral disc bulge at C3-C4 and C6-C7 without canal or neural foraminal narrowing.

Please help me to understand all of this.

Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2014, 06:59 AM   #2
    Lionor
    (male)

Lionor HB User
    Re: help with my MRI C-Spine w/o Contrast

May I ask why you had the MRI performed?

So you have a small bulge - that isn't causing any stenosis or impingement and two small bone spurs (osteophyte's) that are not doing much either. Essentially it looks good.

I would however want to ask about the small hemangioma (benign mass). They are quite common and I would imagine only need to be addressed if causing some issue.

Lordosis pertains to the alignment of the spine, you would want a normal curve, yours seems to be mildly reversed. This is very common in this day and age of posture, computers, desk jobs etc... As long as your doctor ok's it, sometimes a physical therapist can get your cure back.

I don't see anything serious from the report - but then again I'm not a doctor

Old 10-13-2014, 07:33 AM   #3
    cthienes
    (female)

cthienes HB User

My MRI was done because of a car accident. I am in constant pain in my neck and shoulders.

Old 10-13-2014, 08:19 AM   #4
    Lionor
    (male)

Lionor HB User

Are you seeing a physical therapist or being checked out for soft tissue damage (e.g. whiplash)? Whiplash is no joke and should be treated ASAP.

Are you having any weakness in your limbs, nubness, tingling, lack of co-ordination, dropping things, falling over etc...?

Old 10-13-2014, 09:32 PM   #5
    cthienes
    (female)

cthienes HB User
    Smile Re: help with my MRI C-Spine w/o Contrast

I have an appt with Pain Mngment and a neurologist. Everything you said in your post about "Are you having any weakness in your limbs, nubness, tingling, lack of co-ordination, dropping things, falling over etc...? I feel all of it. I experience all of these symptoms most of the time. I also had a CT of the head/neck done w/w/o contrast. I'll type in the reports tomorrow from the CT.

Thanks for your concern. I appreciate it very much

Old 10-14-2014, 07:18 AM   #6
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Welcome to the board. It would be helpful to have a bit more information.

How long ago was the car accident and were you hit from behind.

Could you describe your symptoms in more detail?

The MRI is just one piece of the diagnostic puzzle. To be meaningful it must be correlated with the findings from a physical exam, basic neurological exam and a description of your symptoms and the impact they have on your day-to-day living. Sometimes something that looks minimal on MRI can be a source of great pain, and, conversely, another finding that appears huge and troublesome may be asymptomatic.

That being said, your MRI would mostly be considered good. Very little jumps out as being a red flag...and nothing indicates an injury caused by an accident. You very well may have had the issues mentioned in the MRI report prior to the accident. I too would suggest that you may want to investigate soft tissue damage.

Most people beyond the age of the twenties have some signs of disc degeneration, such as a small bulge or herniation. They just do not know about it because we do not usually have MRIs unless we are in pain.

Perhaps the CT scan will reveal a more significant finding. Are you being treated by physical therapy?

Old 10-14-2014, 08:50 PM   #7
    cthienes
    (female)

cthienes HB User

Before I start writing about my CT, let me move back a couple of steps. My car accident was May 27,2014. An SUV was in front of me, we were all moving through the green light when all of a sudden, the SUV in front of me completely stops (dead stop) while the light was still green. Every car was going 50 or more miles an hour. I was going 50/hr myself. I tried really hard to stop but it was too late. I hit the SUV quite hard, my windsheild broke into a thousand pieces and there were glass all over me. I didnt even make a dent on the SUV, but my car engine was in smoke and fire. I hit my head pretty hard on the steering wheel and I was driving a 22yr old car, my air bags deployed after I hit the steering wheel.

I am a pretty healthy person. I had no aches or pains in my entire body till after the accident. There is not a day that goes by that I don't have a headache (after the accident), neck pain and shoulder pain, numbness and tingling in my right side most of the time,and other symptoms.

Here is my CT of the head with/without contrast report:

Findings:
    Questionable small focus of high attenuation in the left thalamus and a second focus of high attenuation along the left aspect of the left midbrain/pons, that measures up to 6 mm. These lesions are difficult to visualize on the post-contrast imaging. No abnormal enhancement or enhancing lesions are seen.

Impression:
    1. Small foci of high attenuation in the left thalamus and adjacent to the left midbrain/pons. These may represent small focal areas of hemorrage.

2. Periventricular and subcortical leukomalacia may represent chronic microvascular ischemic changes, demyelinating disease can also have this appearance.

3. Ventricular and sulcal prominence compatible with atrophy. There are patchy areas of low attenuation in the periventricular and subcortical white matter, which may represent chronic microvascular ischemic changes or demyelinating disease. No hydrocephalus or midline shift.

Old 10-15-2014, 03:46 PM   #8
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Unfortunately while I feel comfortable commenting on the spine, my knowledge of the brain is very limited and I wouldn't want to say something that turned out to be wrong.

It appears to me that the scan of your head may reveal more information that may be relevant to the headache symptoms than did the MRI.

Do you have an appointment with a neurologist? If I had your symptoms, I would do that first...and I would find someone who could help me with a whiplash type injury. I think it is a good bet that your neck and shoulder pain is coming from the fascia. Something like Myofascial release therapy might help.

Old 10-15-2014, 05:23 PM   #9
    cthienes
    (female)

cthienes HB User

Yes I do...in a week. Thank you for your opinion

Closed Thread