It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Thoracic Surgery Results? Good/Bad?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-13-2014, 10:06 AM   #1
    tradeof1jack
    (male)

tradeof1jack HB User
    Thoracic Surgery Results? Good/Bad?

Hi Board --

Posting to see anyone's stories with Thoracic Surgeries. I have a 7mm extrustion at T7-T8 "deforming the ventral cord."

I am having a long overdue lumbar fusion done and my DRs all agree that needs to get done first, but the thoracic pain is UNREAL and I know its a risky place for surgery.

Anyone had any laminectomies? Fusions? ADR's? Anything in the thoracic?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2014, 07:22 AM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: Thoracic Surgery Results? Good / Bad?

My only suggestion would be to find a spine surgeon that has extensive experience with thoracic surgery. Most spinal surgeons, regardless of reputation, do not. Even if someone assures you he/she does thoracic spine surgery, really quiz the surgeon on how many surgeries a year are performed. It is a highly technical skill that most spine surgeons do not have the experience for.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:01 AM   #3
    Ruffdogster
    (male)

Ruffdogster HB User
    Re: Thoracic Surgery Results? Good / Bad?

Howdy Trader!
    I had Thoracic surgery 3 yrs ago, T7-12 discectomies and I feel great. I have a great Surgeon who has done Lumbar 1-5 S1, C3-4 4-5 and I just had C5-6 6-7 ACDF done 4 wks. ago. From all these surgeries I can tell you I have minor aches and pains when I over do it and I get stiff in cold weather. I am 59 yrs. old and I still work PT. I have a new hip also and the other one is on a banana peel, but I'm holding off till the damn thing slips for good. As you can see I paid for my Surgeon's retirement fund!
    ANy further questions feel free to ask. Good Luck

Old 10-14-2014, 01:14 PM   #4
    tradeof1jack
    (male)

tradeof1jack HB User
    Re: Thoracic Surgery Results? Good/Bad?

Thanks all. Yes -- I am currently dealing with insurance drama trying to get my lumbar fusion done, which is scheduled for surgery on thursday (although I dont think thats going to happen now, or maybe ever).

The thoracic pain is all new and i don't know much about the thoracic so just wanted to get some input.

My surgeon basically said i need the lumbar fusion first, then we'll see what the bed-rest from that does to see if the disc can re-absorb (is that even a thing). Then we will re-address what to do for it.

Anyway the pain from the thoracic vastly outweighs the lumbar pain which i've grown accustomed to. So just trying to learn some more in the meantime.

Closed Thread