It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Post ACDF (C6/C7)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-29-2014, 05:09 PM   #1
    jmh94
    (male)

jmh94 HB User
    Post ACDF (C6/C7)

Im post surgery 4 weeks. Its been annoying me but I seem to see a lot of posts and video's of people post ACDF wearing neck braces and having a 6 week review. However as soon as I woke up form surgery I was encouraged to move my neck and the phrase neck brace never came close to the conversations. And a 6 weeks check up is the same, not seeing my surgeon until the 3 months (12 weeks) recover phrase has ended. I was just wondering if anyone has this same experience? Don't get my wrong, im extremely pleased that I haven't had to wear a brace or any aids, just want to know that my surgeons confidence is well placed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2014, 08:06 AM   #2
    Ruffdogster
    (male)

Ruffdogster HB User
    Re: Post ACDF (C6/C7)

Hi JMH
    I am 6 wks. post OP ACDF 5-6 6-7 surgery and just had a 6 wk. check up.
    Each Doctor has his own thought on Post Op Recovery. Mine requires the collar for 6-8 wks. depending on how the fusion is healing. He also requires a full body brace for any Thoracic fusion he does.
    In your case your Doctor felt no need for any collar and feels you will heal just fine, so don't worry about what you see posted here as we all heal differently and the US Doctors feel collars are needed after surgery as a recovery aid.
    Question your doctor about this and see what his reasoning is.
    Good luck to you and feel free to ask any other question you have, we have a very diverse group here willing to help.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ruffdogster For This Useful Post:
    jmh94 (11-02-2014)
    Old 11-02-2014, 05:38 AM   #3
    Moonstar22
    (female)

Moonstar22 HB UserMoonstar22 HB UserMoonstar22 HB User

jmh,
    when I had my first ACDF in Dec 2011, my doctor had me wear a soft collar for 1 week only. So Ruffdogster is right, all doctors have their own thoughts about post opp collars.

Mine told me that he didn't want me to depend on a collar because it keeps you from strengthening the neck muscles.
    I too see a lot of people having to wear their collars for weeks at a time and I believe it depends on the type of surgery they had. Remember, no 2 surgeries are exactly the same.

I think your doctor made a good decision for you so, don't think that your surgeons confidence wasn't well placed.

By the way, how are you feeling compared to before your surgery?

The Following User Says Thank You to Moonstar22 For This Useful Post:
    jmh94 (11-02-2014)
    Old 11-02-2014, 07:51 AM   #4
    jmh94
    (male)

jmh94 HB User

Ruffdogster,

Thanks for the kind reply! Its always helpful to hear from others who have also gone through it! And I hope all is going well with the recovery.

Moonstar 22,

A few posts I read people seemed to be struggling with neck pains related to segregated neck muscles they hadn't used in recovery, so I think if they can avoid it then they will, so thanks!

For my recovery I would say its going great! One thing to say is I'm 20 years of age and going into the surgery my neck pain was very minimal so I can't compare on that front. The reasoning I had surgery was heavily due to the fact of nerve compression and things were only getting worse pain wise down my left hand side. So I will need more time to update on nerve recovery but I have already seen strength return to my tricep which pre surgery I had lost all reactions/feeling in it.

How has recovery gone for you? One thing I'm worried about along the line is more surgery. I read a lot about the pressures it can put on the rest of your neck but my surgeon seemed confident at my age that good posture and strength exercise would lead to purely natural degeneration of the discs.

Thanks again guys for your reply's, I really appreciate it!

Closed Thread