It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Spine injection went terrible

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-15-2014, 02:50 PM   #1
    Moonstar22
    (female)

Moonstar22 HB UserMoonstar22 HB UserMoonstar22 HB User
    Spine injection went terrible

My Dr did a peripheral nerve block at s1, 2, 3 and cluneal using medicine, dextrose last week on Tuesday. Well, something terrible happened. He had to have hit a nerve !!!!

He started on the right side. He of coarse uses a fluoroscopy. I had this done in October but he used steroids, kenalog. It worked, I had so much pain relief I could hardly believe it. It lasted about a week! He called it a facet joint nerve block, s1,2, 3 & cluneal. I was really happy and next, he scheduled me for this one I mentioned above but said he couldn't use a steroid again because it's not good for me. I don't really understand all of it other than having relief, I'll do it!

Back to him hitting a nerve...he denied that. I almost was thrown off the table with the electrical shock feeling that I got while he was injecting me!! My entire body was shaking & trembling so bad that I thought wouldn't end! The pain was shooting from the top of my left butt down to my toes!!!
    I kept asking him what happened??? I was freaked out. Did you hit a nerve? No. Then what was that? Well, you have a lot of hardware in there. Did you hit the hardware? No. Then what happened? What's wrong? You won't remember, we'll talk about it at your next appt. I said yes I will remember, please tell me what happened?? What's wrong?? He said he doesn't think I'm a candidate for this procedure.
    He acted shocked himself and kept walking back & forth from over at the counter & back to me.
    After all of this & thinking about it, I believe he did hit a nerve and didn't want to admit it. I actually feel bad for him thinking back to that day. He's a really great doctor and I'm keeping him for now. I just think he should have admitted he hit a nerve. I would have understood.

Has anyone ever experienced this? Am I right to think he hit a nerve? What else could have possibly happened?
    And the med dextrose for this procedure, Has anyone had this?
    Needless to say, he stopped the procedure so the left side was not done and I ended up with no relief even though he did inject the meds.

I could really use some advise or suggestions on what you think about this.
    I appreciate anything anyone has to say.
    Thank you in advance.

The following user gives a hug of support to Moonstar22:
    istitch4ever (11-16-2014)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2014, 07:58 AM   #2
    istitch4ever
    (female)

istitch4ever HB Useristitch4ever HB Useristitch4ever HB Useristitch4ever HB Useristitch4ever HB Useristitch4ever HB User
    Re: Spine injection went terrible

To offer an 'I'm sorry" sounds so lame, Moonstar -- but all I can offer is words of caring and 'hang in there'. You are a brave and forgiving soul to go thru such awful pain .... Has anyone suggested Botox for you? I use Botox injections for my cervical spine and it works for me. I see a Neurologist for this procedures and the 18 needles are very minor in discomfort.............The treatments have been used for pain for well over 12 years now and are considered very safe with no side effects. You may wish to consider researching it for your condition. I'm having Round III tomorrow.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:49 AM   #3
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Is the issue that you are still having pain from the fusion you had about a year ago? I know you have posted occasionally since the surgery, and my recollection is that you have always had pain since then.

I'm not sure what happened with the injection. I have had the doctor hit the nerve on purpose, and it was quite a thrill for a second. I don't see why your hardware would have been an issue as he was injecting below the level of your fusion...and using fluoroscopy, he should have seen exactly where he had placed the needle. You should insist he tell you what occurred.

Old 11-19-2014, 10:48 AM   #4
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

How are you feeling by today? Are you icing?

Old 11-21-2014, 03:20 AM   #5
    gmak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Hi moonstar, Im so su had such a painful experience! This was not the ablation yet right? The term nerve blocks can be used differently depending on the dr doing the injection. For instance i had a pm/anes dr who called an intradural injection a nerve block and put the needle through the dura on purpose and injected the medicine into the spinal fluid as opposed to an epidural injection in which the medicine is put into the epidural space against the dura not entering dura. Some drs do epidural nerve blocks and other drs do nerve blocks to pinpoint the exact nerve causing the pain or to block the nerves ability to transmit pain signal for awhile or to reduce inflammation, but they are all called nerve blocks on my medical records strangely enough!
    How are you feeling today? I hope that the nerve pain has settled
    down and you are feeling better! It may be too early to tell if the
    injection has helped to relief the lumbar pain but i truly hope its
    better! You asked what may have caused what you felt and during an epidural for birth anesthesia i have two friends that experienced
    shooting electrical pain during an epidural because the needle
    penetrated the dura but with fluoroscopy the likelihood of this is
    alot lower. They both recovered and are fine but this was what their dr said happened when they had the shooting pain during the procedure. Again i hope that you feel so much better today!

Last edited by gmak; 11-21-2014 at 03:49 AM.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:22 AM   #6
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Dextrose is usually not used in an ESI or nerve block. It is the basic ingredient used in prolotherapy. What type of doctor are you seeing for these injections?

Old 11-21-2014, 02:07 PM   #7
    Moonstar22
    (female)

Hi gmak and teter,

I am back to my usual pain which is a steady 6 everyday! The injection is well over with. I got no relief, pain instead and all of that is over as well, just the pain I've had all along and of coarse it sucks.

Anyway, thank you both for replying and supporting me. I really need it. There's not as much conversation steadily here as I wish there'd be so I am grateful for both of you because you both have so much knowledge to share and some good advice.

First, let me tell you, I am extremely confused about what my Dr actually did to me this time as far as a "nerve block". I was told it was called a PNB, peripheral nerve block using dextrose at, S1,2,3 & caudal nerve. I questioned & questioned how this med works & told her I looked up this medicine and only found info about sugar! His nurse/assistant finally told me that it inflames the area 1st then works with cells (or something like that) before the inflammation reduces and then is suppose to relieve pain. If it works for me.

gmak, are you saying that if the needle goes into the dura that it would cause that pain like electrical shock? It was from the top of my right butt down to my toes??

teter, I have the same pain in the same areas as I did before the surgery but it's worse than before and new pains in diff. areas. Yes, it's been almost a year, Dec 2nd.

Remember, he did only the right side because he nor I wanted him to continue & do the left side after what happened! He really seemed to be freaked out himself. Him hitting a nerve is the only explanation I have. There is nothing else that it could be. Yes teter, my hardware is well above where he was doing the injections. And yes, he was using a fluoroscopy so I don't know what happened. Maybe he wasn't paying enough attention at that very minute, I don't know. But I do understand that it is possible that a nerve could be hit during these procedures.

Teter, I just looked up prolotherapy, I never heard of this but it sure seems that it is what he did! Wow, way different than what I was told! Thank you for telling me about this procedure.

Anyway, my Dr is a PM, fellowship trained MD. I've been seeing him for over a year now. (before & after my surgery) I have not had a problem with him at all until this happened and I don't know what to think now. The last thing he said to me was that I'm not a candidate for these procedures. I'm sad because the shots he did before this gave me such great relief. All my doctors are with in the same group which I like because they all can see everything entered in the computer.
    My next appt isn't till Dec 15. I absolutely will ask him what happened and most of all, is there something else we can try? I guess we'll see.

Thanks again and I hope to hear back from you guys!

Last edited by Administrator; 11-26-2014 at 04:27 PM.

Old 11-21-2014, 07:38 PM   #8
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Unless there were other ingredients in the injection, there would be nothing to make you feel better. The dextrose works on the principle of irritating the tissue so that it puts out new cells that serve to strengthen the cartilage of whatever it is being injected into. It is an irritant used to make the body repair itself.

When the doctor injected you previously did you have a steroid, or what was done.

Are you still seeing the surgeon? And was it his idea to send you to pain management?

Old 11-22-2014, 04:59 PM   #9
    Moonstar22
    (female)

I had steroids injected the time I felt so much better but he said he couldn't use steroids on me anymore because they aren't good for me. I don't understand what's going on with what he's trying to do to me. I'm getting very nervous about it now.

I don't have reason to see the surgeon anymore, do I?

I was seeing the PM Dr before my surgery and after about 3 months, he sent me back to him to continue PM.

Old 11-22-2014, 11:10 PM   #10
    AnnD
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

From the sounds of it he hit your sciatic nerve that follows that pain path that you described.

However, there may be no residual effects so wait and see. Just be sure you get a copy of all your doctors procedure notes so see how he documented what he did. I can only guess you have a ton of medical records ...just be sure you have your own copy. Good luck.

Last edited by Administrator; 11-26-2014 at 04:31 PM.

Old 11-24-2014, 11:11 AM   #11
    Moonstar22
    (female)

Maybe I could call his asst & ask for ALL my records & doctor notes from the time the injection that worked up to now and see what it all says.

I wonder what treatment he will suggest now? When treatments that I have had don't work, what would be the next step in PM?

I hope someone will reply. Of coarse I know no one is a doctor here but any advice or opinions are welcome & needed. Thank you

Last edited by Administrator; 11-26-2014 at 04:21 PM.

Old 11-24-2014, 04:13 PM   #12
    ChuckStr
    Veteran
    (male)

ChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB User

If it were me, I would get the records to see what they say and also to have them in case I decided I wanted to go to a different Dr.

I'm confused about what they've done to you as well. If the steroid worked for you, then the main problem must be related to inflammation because that's what steroids treat. How the dextrose was supposed to address the inflammation is beyond me. I would think the irritation would make it worse. I also don't understand how you are not a candidate for ESIs when you had one that worked well. It's true that you can't have steroid injections all the time because of the immune system and kidney ramifications but they offered me a series of three over the course of a couple months that they said could be repeated about every 6-9 months (I politely declined as I was able to get relief without them sticking a needle in my neck). I would seriously consider seeing someone else if that's at all possible. It seems like the current PM Dr is hesitant to treat you now due to whatever happened during the procedure.

Last edited by Administrator; 11-26-2014 at 04:21 PM.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:56 AM   #13
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I had many (too many as it turned out, as I developed cataracts from the steroids) lower lumbar and sacral injections prior to my last surgery, all but the first three without sedation, and with three different doctors. Sometimes you get that electrical jolt. I don't know if a nerve is actually struck or if the nerve just reacts that way. I had that really extreme reaction a number of times, so I understand what you are describing.

You do not need to speak to the assistant. Just call and ask for medical records. The front desk should be able to connect you to the right office. You will probably have to fill out a form but it is no big deal.

I still think your pain is a result of your surgery and I would encourage you to try to see if something can be done. I would look for a surgeon that specializes in spinal reconstruction and revision surgery, and I would seek a "second opinion." I wouldn't be surprised if you have some instability in between the joints where there is not solid bone growth. I would rule out any structural issue that could be addressed before settling for a lifetime of pain management.

Last edited by Administrator; 11-26-2014 at 04:19 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to teteri66 For This Useful Post:
    Moonstar22 (12-21-2014)
    Closed Thread