It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• L5S1 candidate

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-23-2014, 10:10 AM   #1
    Spotty100
    (male)

Spotty100 HB User
    L5S1 candidate

I've got a grade one spondylosis and spondylolisthesis. I won't let them slice me up to put in any meccano. I know I'm doomed. Every week standing up gets more difficult. I'm on Transtec 52.5 patches and just wondering how far I can go before I'm in a wheelchair.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2014, 10:17 AM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: L5S1 candidate

I don't understand a couple words in your post, but think I get the gist of it. You aren't exactly doomed, but you will not get better. Some spondylolisthesis does not continue to get worse. Some are considered "active" and will lead to increasing instability, while others are "inactive" and will not slip further unless there is major impact, etc.

I had the same thing at L4-L5 and had it surgically repaired with a fusion procedure. It was a long recovery but I can now walk as far as I want without pain and can stand without pain.

You will not improve without surgical intervention, but you have a real chance in the hands of a talented and well-trained spine surgeon. I would think the risk would be worth it. Sometimes it is worth rolling the dice.

Old 11-29-2014, 09:38 AM   #3
    Spotty100
    (male)

Spotty100 HB User
    Re: L5S1 candidate

Mine is active and has continued to degenerate over the last 20 years since discovery. Its origin lies in an incident on active service in 1979. Unfortunately it is also genetic and 5 of my 6 siblings, as well as my mother, also have the condition. Two have had the operation: one with great success and the other an abject failure. So perhaps you can see why I would be reluctant to commit to the surgeon's knife? Perhaps if I lived in London but not in Northern Ireland. I'm afraid our expertise has gone downhill since the days when we desperately needed skilled surgeons.

Closed Thread