It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Looking for guidance..

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-08-2014, 06:44 PM   #1
    Lifechanges2005
    (female)

Lifechanges2005 HB User
    Looking for guidance..

I'm not sure how to form my question..I have some arthritis and scoliosis in my spine..along with osteopenia in my left hip, osteopenia in my femoral neck, and osteoporosis in my lumber spine..it kills me to stand, can't sit for long periods..and as I get older, my shoulders just can't seem to hold my posture, feels like it weights a ton just to hold up.. I don't want to be those old ladies with the hump on their back..when I was younger I always wanted a Dr. to help me with my posture..all they said was stand and walk straight..very hard to do then and now... I'm being treated for RA.. however, is there any thing a Dr. can do to keep for me slouching and taking the pain from the areas mentioned above? Also, I was treated for cancer, had pelvic radation and chemo..I wonder if that added to the mix..thanks for reading and I hope someone will respond and guide me where to seek some help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2014, 07:47 PM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: Looking for guidance..

Are you in the US? If so, you might want to try a few sessions with a physical therapist who could show you the appropriate exercises to strengthen the back and core muscles. One common posture "mistake" people make is carrying the head too far forward. This pulls the rest of the back out of alignment and can cause lower back pain, etc. also when people get a rush of adrenaline, like when in an argument, or flare of temper, or a burst of stress, they often jut the chin out. Try to think about taking a deep breath and gently moving the chin back so the spine is more aligned. This helps the autonomic nervous system to open up and for the person to return to equilibrium.

I would also suggest you spent some time on the floor at least once per day doing the following:

Lie flat on your back, knees bent, feet flat on the floor. Place hands comfortably close to the sides, palms placing up toward the ceiling. Breathe deeply and slowly from the belly, so that it rises and falls. Breathe slowly like this for several minutes and just relax.

This position is a natural form of traction that allows the discs to unload, for any muscles that are guarding to relax and let go and for the natural structural alignment of the spine to reform.

This allowed me to survive when I was awaiting surgery, when I just couldn't stand to walk one step further. I have been known to find an out-of-the-way corner in an airport and do this, just so I could continue on a trip!

Finally, if you could find just the right practioner, body work can be very helpful. Alternative treatments that manipulate the fascia can be especially useful.

Old 12-09-2014, 12:17 AM   #3
    ChuckStr
    Veteran
    (male)

ChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB User

I echo everything Teteri66 said. I just wanted to add that you can find PTs who specialize in treatment of back issues and I've found them to be great. The one I went to has a "back school" that teaches you the proper position for your head/neck/torso and helps with exercises and techniques to improve the posture. She was also able to give me a home traction machine that was useful, I think, in my alleviating the radiculopathy symptoms I was experiencing. Good luck!

Old 12-09-2014, 05:48 AM   #4
    Lifechanges2005
    (female)

Lifechanges2005 HB User

Thank you both for responding..yes I'm in the US..I will start my search and see what is needed to see a PT..and hope my health insurance will cover it.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:30 AM   #5
    Lionor
    (male)

Lionor HB User

Hi There,

I have found a great PT that works with my posture - but nothing seems to make it stick. I found great relief from strapping. Instead of wearing a posture brace (I've tried them all) he uses tape from shoulder down my back. Gives me that added support and a reminder that my muscles need.

Aside from Doctors - if you're looking for alternative possibilities - I've hears great things about "ROLFING". Although it's generally not covered by insurance and quite expensive.

Your muscles need to re-learn their correct jobs. With poor posture your muscles are not doing their job and are strained because of it. To this end, as you go through retraining you may want to look into massages or Active Release Technique (ART) or MFR.

I got a foam roller that I lay along, allowing my back muscles to be stretched and released backwards. Works great.

Good luck.

Old 12-10-2014, 11:25 AM   #6
    istitch4ever
    (female)

istitch4ever HB Useristitch4ever HB Useristitch4ever HB Useristitch4ever HB Useristitch4ever HB Useristitch4ever HB User

There isn't anything better for the body than the True Physical Therapist who understands the body, its needs, and can call out to you the name of every muscle and bone for you while they are working on you -- and understand your problem during your first encounter with them. PT people are miracle workers -- and when you find the right one, physical therapy is awesome and works for so many folks. I tried it 4 separate times for my degenerative cervical spine problem -- with 4 separate PT folks (different therapies in-between each PT session of 8 weeks). But I was unfortunately one where PT worked perfectly while I was in the therapy room and one hour more --- and then no more. Acupuncture did the same; cortisone shots did the same; ablations did the same. And then I got referred to a Neurologist who was a 'varied' Neurologist: he dealed with migraines, spine problems, and BOTOX. I had finally gone thru enough procedures and failed at them that I qualified for coverage with insurance and now I get the Botox needles every 3 months. I have at least 85 percent less pain -- and many days 100%. I hope by telling my crazy story you find a procedure or a way to find a treatment that provides no pain for you ---- starting with that PT which can hopefully last longer for you than happened for me.

Old 12-11-2014, 03:54 AM   #7
    ChuckStr
    Veteran
    (male)

ChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB User

The PT was covered 100% by my insurance as long as it was referred by a physician. My insurance tends to be awesome, however, so I don't know what "normal" insurance would cover. I second the taping being beneficial as well. I had my shoulder and neck taped during a lot of the more painful time of my last bout with radiculopathy and it helped the pain. It also helped with posture as it was a reminder to keep things aligned correctly.

Closed Thread