It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Spinal Cord Contusion showing on MRI

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-17-2014, 03:28 PM   #1
    vineyardsdr
    (female)

vineyardsdr HB User
    Spinal Cord Contusion showing on MRI

Hello, I was in an auto accident and have been in PT and seen many doctors in the past 8 months. I was told by my Dr., PT and the Neurologist who did the testing that I have a spinal cord contusion and that is the issue with losing the strength in my arm and leg. I also have others issues going on. A neurosurgeon told me today he did not see any of that on the MRI. Do the contusions always so up? Or did the first 3 doctors not know what they were talking about?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-17-2014, 10:39 PM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: Spinal Cord Contusion showing on MRI

Welcome to the board. Were the first two doctors looking at a MRI when they told you about the contusion?

What did the neurosurgeon say was the cause of your issues?

I would just be guessing here, but I would think that early on, after the accident, since you had symptoms and had been involved in a car accident, it was assumed you had a spinal cord injury. Since you were not paralyzed, it was assumed it was a contusion....now that the swelling is down (I presume), the neurosurgeon can see specific reasons for your symptoms...like stenosis caused by a herniated disc, enlarged facet joints, etc.

Diagnosing a problem with the neck or back can be open to interpretation. No one has to be right or wrong. Sometimes different terms are used to describe the same problem....I would need much more information before I would feel comfortable saying someone was right and someone was wrong.

More important is what the neurosurgeon suggested for a plan of treatment for you?

Closed Thread