It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Back problems - Anyone Help?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-27-2014, 04:31 AM   #1
    purpleronnie
    (male)

purpleronnie HB User
    Back problems - Anyone Help?

About 18 months ago I remember feeling a pain in the middle of my back when I was moving in bed. Since then I've had back problems.

The pain only lasted a second and I thought nothing of it and went back to sleep. I remember shortly afterwards feeling a little pain in my back when I took a deep breath, then I started feeling a tingling around my shoulder blades. I didn't feel it very often just every now and again especially if I slouched. About a year later I pulled a muscle in my back right where I was already having problems. So I wondered if I have a weakness there.

The pain in my back went away quickly but I sometimes get the tingling. Also if I sneeze I can feel a little dull pain around the left shoulder blade.

I also get back ache quite easily now and often if I do do something strenious and get back ache later on I get a strain in my buttock too.) The back ache will go after rest.

Just wondered if maybe I have damaged a muscle of herniated a disc? Or could something else be the cause. If so what options are there as I really don't want surgery as I'm not in pain and it doesn't stop me doing anything, it's just more of an irritation.

Many thanks.

Last edited by purpleronnie; 12-27-2014 at 04:37 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2014, 12:48 PM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: Back problems - Anyone Help?

Welcome to the board. The back has so many muscles, soft tissue, ligaments, etc. with the body's central nervous system running right through the middle. There are a very large number of things that cause back pain...strains and sprains probably being the most common. Then there are disc issues like a herniated disc and degenerative disc disease.

If there is any inflamation from a movement you do not usually do, or something as simple as sleeping in a weird position, coughing too long or hard, etc. It can cause a slight nerve irritation that can be felt as a tingling. Usually this will go away with time.

If you had a herniated disc or something more major, you would be in more pain and it would be more constant. If it doesn't go away or gets worse, your doctor should examine you.

Good luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to teteri66 For This Useful Post:
    purpleronnie (12-29-2014)
    Old 12-28-2014, 04:58 AM   #3
    purpleronnie
    (male)

purpleronnie HB User

Thanks people.

I was interested to know what excercises they are, if you could post about them that would be great.

Old 12-28-2014, 08:14 PM   #4
    gmak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Hi purpleronnie! I was given back exercises in Physical Therapy many many years ago and they have helped numerous people over the years including my husband. The therapist said that they would help muscle spasms, strengthen back and help discs to align. Laying flat on back on bed or floor bend one leg up, knee to chest, and hold it there for a count of ten and lay leg back down straight on bed. Repeat ten times. Next, bend the other leg and do the same then bend both legs up to chest knees bent and hold for 10 seconds and repeat ten times. If I don't have much times I just bend both legs up to chest and hold for about a couple of minutes. It flattens the small of back to bed and stretches and lengthens my muscles. Muscle spasms can cause pain and tingling especially when the muscle spasm pulls a vertebrae over onto a nerve root. I'm glad that the problem you are having is not severe and hope it heals well soon and disappears as suddenly as it appeared!

The Following User Says Thank You to gmak For This Useful Post:
    Old 12-29-2014, 04:07 AM   #5
    purpleronnie
    (male)

purpleronnie HB User

Thanks gmak, I have tried some excercises I found online but if anything they seem to aggravate it a bit, and as soon as it did I stopped, maybe I need to go through a little discomfort to strengthen my back.

Old 12-29-2014, 10:04 AM   #6
    gmak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Hi purple Ronnie, I seem to remember I had to start off very slow and gentle and only do 3 repetitions at first or maybe it was one of each. I wouldn't do them if it hurt or made me hurt more. Perhaps the dr could give you a referral to PT and they could evaluate and order a customized for you program?

The Following User Says Thank You to gmak For This Useful Post:
    Old 12-30-2014, 01:40 AM   #7
    ChuckStr
    Veteran
    (male)

ChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB User

Yes, definitely get a referral to PT if you can swing it. Good PTs will work with you to find the right exercises that help your particular situation, make sure you are doing them correctly, and work on next steps to help improve the overall health and strength of your spine. Doing random exercises you find on the internet and possibly doing them incorrectly may cause additional strain on your spine.

Good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to ChuckStr For This Useful Post:
    purpleronnie (12-30-2014)
    Closed Thread