It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• MVA-Bulging Discs/reversal lordosis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-07-2015, 04:28 PM   #1
    SDBelle
    (female)

SDBelle HB User
    MVA-Bulging Discs/reversal lordosis

It's been 5 mos since I was rear ended. Xrays at ER showed nothing worrisome, just straightening of spine. PT was recommended; after 10 wks there was improvement with range of motion. Headaches, soreness, mild pain never goes away. Numb/Tingling/burning in fingers comes and goes. Had MRI, C4-C5 and C5-C6 there are broad-based posterior annular bulge and facet joint hypertrophic changes (C4-C5, particularly on left). And reversal of cervical lordosis. I've taken ibuprofen, muscle relaxers, oral steroids with little improvement. Been seeing Ortho, he says no surgery is needed. Bulges don't see to press on spine so numbness is caused from something else. He didn't seem concerned by headaches, but suggest Botox injections. Referred me to Pain Management Dr for neck injections and neurologist to further investigate numb/tingling sensations. Appts are not until Feb.

The other driver's insurance will not pay for treatment until it is complete and they will then offer settlement. In the meantime, treatment is getting quite expensive and it has offered little help. I've grown tired of the chronic pain. I'm battling depression from not being able to enjoy things I took for granted prior to the accident. Just seeking advice of others in similar shoes. Does this seem like a fair treatment plan? Thanks, in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2015, 11:34 AM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: MVA-Bulging Discs/reversal lordosis

Welcome to the board. Sorry you were involved in a MVA and are now dealing with the consequences.

Without seeing the MRI report I cannot comment with any authority but I would like to mention that the tingling in the fingers could still be a result of cervical spine damage even if there is not cord compression.

There are two main areas where the nerves are compressed: in the central canal and in the neuroforamen. The foramen are openings located at each vertebral level where the spinal nerves exit the spine, and go out to the rest of the body. When there is a disc bulge or herniation, the tissue often extends into the foramina, resulting in less room for the spinal nerve to function normally. This can result in compression of the nerve which can be felt at the source or anywhere along the path of the nerve. For example, we know that if the C6 nerve is affected, the person may experience numbness in the thumb. This could happen if the nerve was compressed in the spinal cord itself or further out along the path of the nerve.

Seeing a neurologist makes sense for further diagnosis, and then a pain management doctor as needed. If the discs were going to heal on their own, in all likelihood they would have done so by now. Good luck.

Closed Thread