It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

Confused about MRI results

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-14-2015, 11:38 PM   #1
thuntjr
(male)

thuntjr HB User
Confused about MRI results

I had an anterior fusion done on my c5-c6 cervical spine in 2012. My symptoms were neck pain, shoulder pain, weakness in my left arm as well as numbness and tingling in my fingers. after surgery my symptoms subsided but slowly returned. In August of 2014 my doctor did a posterior fusion of the c5 - c6. My recover from the first surgery was about 4 months and I returned to work. It has been almost 6months since his last surgery and I still have significant weakness on my left arm and virtually no grip strength. My doctor recently sent me for another cervical MRI. I was fully expecting him to tell me that there was more problems that I needed treatment for but instead he says the results look good. Please read the following and tell me if you agree with what my doctor is telling me.
C1-C2: Normal alignment
C2-C3: No disc bulge or herniation. Central canal and neuroforamina are patent.
C3-C4: Small central disc protrusion stable from previous CT. Moderate narrowing of the central canal. No significant neural foraminal narrowing.
C4-C5: Small diffuse disc osteophyte complex. Moderate narrowing of the central canal with effacement of CSF. Moderate bilateral neural foraminal narrowing. Findings progressed from previous MR.
C5-C6: Status post fusion. Mild narrowing of the thecal sac. Mild bilateral neural foraminal narrowing.
C6-C7: Small disc osteophyte complex. Mild narrowing of the central canal. Mild bilateral neural foraminal narrowing.
C7-T1: No disc bulge or herniation. Central canal and neuroforamina are patent.
Spinal Cord: Mild deformity of the ventral spinal cord at C3-C4

If anyone can break this down for me so that I can understand it better I would greatly appreciate it. From what I have been able to research most of the issues on this MRI correspond with the symptoms I am currently suffering from.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2015, 11:35 AM   #2
Lionor
(male)

Lionor HB User
Re: Confused about MRI results

Hi there Thuntjr,
I'm sorry to hear about your pain and it's sounds frustrating the lack of response to your pain you are having.
I have heard that nerve pain takes a long time to heal, especially if it's been aggravated for a long time prior to surgery. Some people have noted years. The weakness would be concerning to me too. It would be interesting to see your MRI report prior to the surgery.
Are you having any other symptoms other than in the arm?
Have you seen other otho or neuro surgeons? If not I would highly recommend you get multiple opinions.
Please know that I am not offering any sort of medical advice - just some ramblings from a long time sufferer.
With your MRI, the level that you had fused does look ok. Do you know if you ahve been diagnosed with stenosis? If you have a congenitally stenotic spine?
The reason I ask is that with the report at C4-C5 it states effacement of the CSF. Which would prompt further review. It also states increased foraminal stenosis at that level- Which may explain some of the arm pain you are having. Sometimes a fusion can add stress of the discs above and below.

If you are sticking with the current surgeon, you may want to ask him to explain your C4-C5 level and ask his thoughts. Might be worth getting am EMG to tests the nerves in your arm. Luckily nothing in the MRI states severe which is good. But you are obviously having pain and weakness and that should be addressed.

The Following User Says Thank You to Lionor For This Useful Post:
thuntjr (01-16-2015)
Closed Thread

Tags
c5-c6 herniated disc, mri