It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• anxiety and confusion about activity level after acdf

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-29-2015, 09:44 PM   #1
    nervousnell
    (female)

nervousnell HB User
    anxiety and confusion about activity level after acdf

I had acdf c5-7 two weeks ago and I don't recall ever feeling this much anxiety in my life. Of course it probably doesn't help my situation that I quit smoking 2 weeks prior to surgery, but I am wondering is it normal to feel panicy (is that a word?)after surgery? Also I am having a difficult time figuring out what I can and can't do as far as activity level. If I don't move around enough the pain gets worse, but if I am up and around till I feel tired that seems to be way too late of an indicator to rest because then I'm buggered up for the next 48 hrs. Any suggestions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2015, 06:42 PM   #2
    NeckpaininKY
    (female)

NeckpaininKY HB User
    Re: anxiety and confusion about activity level after acdf

I would definitely give yourself some more time to recover from major surgery. Just because you were probably released from the hospital within 24 hours of surgery doesn't mean your body (in particular your spinal cord which controls every bodily function) didn't undergo major trauma. Listen to your doctor, but more importantly to your own body. Recovery from surgery is a delicate business. Don't take it lightly. You only get one chance to recover correctly.

Old 02-14-2015, 06:51 AM   #3
    Taylor446
    (female)

Taylor446 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nervousnell View Post
    I had acdf c5-7 two weeks ago and I don't recall ever feeling this much anxiety in my life. Of course it probably doesn't help my situation that I quit smoking 2 weeks prior to surgery, but I am wondering is it normal to feel panicy (is that a word?)after surgery? Also I am having a difficult time figuring out what I can and can't do as far as activity level. If I don't move around enough the pain gets worse, but if I am up and around till I feel tired that seems to be way too late of an indicator to rest because then I'm buggered up for the next 48 hrs. Any suggestions?
    Hey Nervousnell, how are you doing? I will be having the same exact surgery/levels done in about 10 days, and can see myself in the same predicament as you describe. Are you going on walks every day, increasing duration/length of walks? Have you found that happy medium that gets you through the day? I hope you are doing well.

Old 02-14-2015, 09:11 PM   #4
    Ravin835
    (female)

Ravin835 HB UserRavin835 HB UserRavin835 HB UserRavin835 HB UserRavin835 HB UserRavin835 HB User

Part of what is causing your emotions and roller coaster is the after effects of the anesthesia, which can cause all kinds of emotional weirdness for up to a month. I always get a big crash, feel really down and think silly things like poor me. All of which can be exaggerated by taking narcotic pain meds. Things will even out as you heal and your body gets over the shock and trauma of the surgery. If not, feel free to call the doctor's assistant and tell them what is going on.

Last edited by Ravin835; 02-14-2015 at 09:13 PM. Reason: typo

Closed Thread