It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Cervical MRI

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-06-2015, 06:21 PM   #1
    Pinkladybug40
    (female)

Pinkladybug40 HB User
    Cervical MRI

Please help me understand this report:

There is a multilevel loss of t2 hyper intensity within the discs, compatible with disc degeneration.

C3-C-4, there is a small disc osteophyte complex. There is no central or foraminal stenosis.

C4-C5 and C5-C6 there is mild disc bulge

C6-C7, there is a small posterior disc osteophyte complex. There is no cental or foraminal stenosis.

The remainder of the visualized intervertebral disc levels are normal.

The cervical cord is normal in signal intensity and contour on all pulse sequences.

The cerebellar tonsils are low lying extending 5 mm below the plane of the formen magnum. Borderline for chiari 1 malformation. No evidence of cervical syrinx. No evidence of hydrocephalus in the visualized portion of the brain. He used brain MRI to compare for chiari diagnosis.

Impression: cerebellar tonsils extending 5 mm below the plane of the Forman magnum borderline for a chiari 1 malformation. C3-C4 and C6-C7 small posterior disc osteophyte complexes. At C-4-C-5 and C5-C6 mild disc bulges.

What does that loss of t2 hyper intensity mean?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2015, 11:58 PM   #2
    DiHuf
    (female)

DiHuf HB User
    Re: Cervical MRI

I think the t2 intensity refers to the shades of white, gray and black seen in an MRI. I've heard it referred to as the signal.

I think (only think!) that healthy discs have a more white appearance (hyper-intesity) due to a higher water content. But, as we age, the discs lose some of that water and appear darker (loss of hyper-intensity or even hypo-intensity) on MRIs. As we age, we all start to lose that hyper-intense signal.

Part and parcel of degenerative disc disease?

Old 02-07-2015, 02:21 AM   #3
    ChuckStr
    Veteran
    (male)

ChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB User
    Re: Cervical MRI

Yes, loss of t2 hyperintensity in the disks indicates they are degenerating. Generally, as the disks degenerate they lose moisture content and shrink leading to other components of disc degeneration like bone spur formation (osteophytes). The cervical disk part of the MRI indicates quite mild degeneration. It is unlikely that this is causing symptoms for you.

The chiari formation is a different story. If you indeed have a Chiari, they may cause a variety of neurological symptoms such as headache, neck pain, dizziness, numbness and tingling in hands and feet, etc. If there is enough evidence of the Chiari on your MRI, then it is likely you will need referral to a neurosurgeon for evaluation.

Good Luck!

Closed Thread