It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• 2 Weeks until ACDF

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-10-2015, 06:55 PM   #1
    Taylor446
    (female)

Taylor446 HB User
    2 Weeks until ACDF

So nervous and so energized to get this done. I'm having ACDF at c5-c6, c6-c7. I've been reading as much as I can what to expect, and helpful advice on what I need to stock up on to make things as easy as possible.

The sticky at the top of this board has been great reference - check it out if you are preparing for surgery.

I've been cooking extra servings of dinner and freezing them so hubby will have something to eat other than sandwiches until I feel like cooking again.

I'm doing a methodical cleaning of one room a day leading up to surgery so I don't have to worry about it for a while.

My neck muscles continue to become more sore with each passing day. I was taking Advil for the pain, but have had to quit until the fusion has healed. Tylenol has never worked well for me. Ugh.

Protein powder - what kind should I get that isn't soy based? Any recommendations? I love smoothies, and plan on having quite a few in the immediate weeks following surgery.

Anyone else getting ready for the same torture......I mean adventure!!! Lol

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2015, 09:52 AM   #2
    Ruffdogster
    (male)

Ruffdogster HB User
    Re: 2 Weeks until ACDF

Welcome to the Boards Taylor! I had this surgery done in September 2014, no ill effects afterwards, was cutting the grass 4 days after surgery. I have no pain, the bicep muscle is coming back slowly, saw my surgeon last week for a checkup, he says the fusion is looking good and should be complete in another 8 mo. I feel great, only noticed I have lost some range of motion in my neck ,but I can deal with this.
    Just do as the Doctor orders and you will be fine. Good luck let us know how things go for you.

Old 02-11-2015, 05:11 PM   #3
    Taylor446
    (female)

Taylor446 HB User

Thank you, Ruff! Sounds like you were up and around rather quickly. I sure hope to suffer the same fate as you. I have deltoid paralysis, and I pray I recover some of the mobility. I love to swim, but haven't been able to do so since Nov 2013. Just steadily gaining weight during this whole odyssey.

Did you up your protein intake after surgery to help with regeneration? I am not a huge meat eater, but I am not a vegetarian by any means. Looking for a high quality non-soy protein powder to use in smoothies for the first week or so post surgery.

Would love some recommendations on protein powder from anyone reading this!!

Old 02-11-2015, 05:58 PM   #4
    ChuckStr
    Veteran
    (male)

ChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB User

A few years ago I was into losing weight and training for a competition where you run a marathon and get points for your max bench-press and squat. That led me to experiment with a lot of different protein powders. I used them for smoothies (I'd have an enormous one every morning) and homemade energy bars that I'd take on long runs and eat as snacks. The best one I ever used was Optimum Nutrition Whey (I think it's called Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey now). It's available at ****** among other places. It's expensive but it was the one with the "best" taste and also seemed to give me the best boost/least amount of digestive issues. Soy protein was terrible for my digestive system in that quantity. I preferred the vanilla to the chocolate. The chocolate was too "fake" tasting for me. It could be different now as I see they have other flavors.

I'm with you on the advil vs Tylenol. Tylenol (without codeine never did anything for any pain I've had. Unfortunately you can't use Aleve either as that is also a type of NSAID. If the pain is from muscle tenseness perhaps a muscle relaxer like Valium may help. Otherwise, lyrica and associated medicines have helped many with nerve pain.

For me, I could be off to surgery soon or never depending on what additional symptoms emerge with the compression on my spinal cord and/or nerve roots from c4-c7. Hopefully never (but I doubt it).

BTW : If it were me, I'd play the sympathy card and have my spouse cooking and cleaning for me

Good luck with your surgery and let us know how your recovery goes...

Old 02-11-2015, 08:56 PM   #5
    Ravin835
    (female)

Ravin835 HB UserRavin835 HB UserRavin835 HB UserRavin835 HB UserRavin835 HB UserRavin835 HB User

Don't forget the chocolate! I had c 4 to 6 fused 20 years ago and never had any problems. Initial healing wasn't too bad, about 2 months and I had little kids to take care of. What neck and shoulder problems I still have are from 15 years of wrong diagnosis....dismissed as just muscle spasms. After the mri became available in the early 90s, it revealed two fully herniated disks from car accident 15 years earlier. I thank God for the neurosurgeon who had the skill to fix my spine, you will also very soon.
    I don't know anything about powders or supplements but you are right that you need extra protein to heal. I just eat extra meat, fish, nuts and dairy which also contain vitamins and other nutrients.
    You have a great attitude, you will do fine, please remember to rest the first two weeks, don't be tempted to overdo.

Old 02-12-2015, 08:34 AM   #6
    Taylor446
    (female)

Taylor446 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChuckStr View Post
    A few years ago I was into losing weight and training for a competition where you run a marathon and get points for your max bench-press and squat. That led me to experiment with a lot of different protein powders. I used them for smoothies (I'd have an enormous one every morning) and homemade energy bars that I'd take on long runs and eat as snacks. The best one I ever used was Optimum Nutrition Whey (I think it's called Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey now). It's available online and other places. It's expensive but it was the one with the "best" taste and also seemed to give me the best boost/least amount of digestive issues. Soy protein was terrible for my digestive system in that quantity. I preferred the vanilla to the chocolate. The chocolate was too "fake" tasting for me. It could be different now as I see they have other flavors.

I'm with you on the advil vs Tylenol. Tylenol (without codeine never did anything for any pain I've had. Unfortunately you can't use Aleve either as that is also a type of NSAID. If the pain is from muscle tenseness perhaps a muscle relaxer like Valium may help. Otherwise, lyrica and associated medicines have helped many with nerve pain.

For me, I could be off to surgery soon or never depending on what additional symptoms emerge with the compression on my spinal cord and/or nerve roots from c4-c7. Hopefully never (but I doubt it).

BTW : If it were me, I'd play the sympathy card and have my spouse cooking and cleaning for me

Good luck with your surgery and let us know how your recovery goes...
    Thanks, Chuck! I saw that protein powder online before. Thank you for recommending it.

On the sympathy card, don't worry....I will flash it in a heartbeat! The problem with meals is that hubby's idea of cooking is takeout. Lol

I hope you are doing well. I've only known about my cervical problems for 2 months. Now that I know, there are a lot of symptoms I have been having for a while, just didn't know each separately were leading to a much bigger problem. It's amazing how aches and pains and other dysfunctions can slowly creep into your life, and you easily shrug them off as normal aging. I will think good thoughts for you!

Last edited by mod85; 02-22-2015 at 06:19 PM.

Old 02-12-2015, 08:44 AM   #7
    Taylor446
    (female)

Taylor446 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ravinswift View Post
    Don't forget the chocolate! I had c 4 to 6 fused 20 years ago and never had any problems. Initial healing wasn't too bad, about 2 months and I had little kids to take care of. What neck and shoulder problems I still have are from 15 years of wrong diagnosis....dismissed as just muscle spasms. After the mri became available in the early 90s, it revealed two fully herniated disks from car accident 15 years earlier. I thank God for the neurosurgeon who had the skill to fix my spine, you will also very soon.
    I don't know anything about powders or supplements but you are right that you need extra protein to heal. I just eat extra meat, fish, nuts and dairy which also contain vitamins and other nutrients.
    You have a great attitude, you will do fine, please remember to rest the first two weeks, don't be tempted to overdo.
    Thank you, Ravin! You are a woman after my own heart with the insistence of chocolate! Everything is made better by chocolate.

I will do my best to try not to overdo things at first. The ants in my pants will need to be sent packing!

Old 02-21-2015, 10:20 AM   #8
    Taylor446
    (female)

Taylor446 HB User

T-minus 3 days and counting. Had a good pre-op with my surgeon. He will be using an allograph with my bone marrow. He also said at this point he is not considering sending me to PT, but I am sure I will be given stretching exercises to do at some point, and of course walk, walk, walk! I did buy a collapsible cane to use for a little while.

I'll check back in sometime after to share how things went and how I am doing.

Blessings to all!

Old 02-21-2015, 08:36 PM   #9
    Ravin835
    (female)

Ravin835 HB UserRavin835 HB UserRavin835 HB UserRavin835 HB UserRavin835 HB UserRavin835 HB User

I will be sending you healing wishes! Please give us an update when you are feeling up to it.

Closed Thread