HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Spinal Cord Disorders (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/spinal-cord-disorders/)
-   -   Myelomalacia (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/spinal-cord-disorders/999239-myelomalacia.html)

xrox 03-09-2015 08:21 PM

Myelomalacia

This term seems to be ambiguous rather than specific.

If you look up the word MYELOMALACIA on the interent you find info telling you it is a progressive disease ending in paralysis and/or death.

In reality it actually seems to be a more of a general word radiologists like to use on MRI reports to say that there is an area of increased signal. This could mean any of the many causes of light spots on the cord including MS lesions, myelitis, infection, bruising, bleeding..etc

My neurologist said it just means there is a white spot on the MRI of the cord.

Is this accurate?

teteri66 03-10-2015 07:27 AM

Re: Myelomalacia

Are you having any symptoms?

xrox 03-10-2015 09:22 AM

I am actually only looking for some feedback on the possible ambiguity of the terminology. Is what my neurologist said correct?

The term is on my MRI report so either I am going to slowly be paralyzed and die or it just means they found a white spot on the cord. It would help to confirm or clarify the terminology.

ChuckStr 03-10-2015 01:41 PM

It shows up on one of my radiology reports as well and if accurate has been there almost 10 years. I'm not planning on going anywhere soon, and I'm not paralyzed so I'm not sure about the paralysis and death thing.

I've had several neurologists, spine surgeons and neuroradiologists look at the images and they all use the term to mean non-specific t2 hyperintensity on mri. That's it. Secondly, it is not uncommon for motion artifact or other issues to appear similarly which is what everyone other than the single general radiologist read.

I would listen to your neurologist. Now if you are having symptoms like gait disturbance, incoordination, bladder issues etc. Then that spot may be signify some damage to the cord. This is why that finding (and all others for that matter) on mri has to be correlated with clinical signs abd symptoms.

xrox 03-10-2015 02:08 PM

Thank you for confirming that the term is often used that way.

I am definitely having issues and that is why the MRI was done in the first place. No weakness anywhere though. Just paresthesia and urinary urgency that comes and goes over the last 6 months. The weird thing is that they alternate like a switch. When I have urgency I have no other symptoms. Then a switch goes off and I have paresthesia in both hands and feet and no urinary issues. Very odd.

FYI - My neurologist suspects my issues are from Humira use (demyelination) or MS. I personally think that my issues could be from positional stenosis. When my neck is extended the canal is only 8mm wide at one point with sharp points indenting the CSF and possibly barely touching the cord.

I had an MRI Jan 8th which shows no lesions on T1 or T2. I then had a whole spine MRI on Feb 22 and that is where they say a "questionable myelomalacia" was found on T1 (T2 was not done).

I am now going to have another MRI of just the neck with GAD and T2.