It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• 5 previous C-Spine surgeries; Looking at a possible 6th

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-12-2015, 05:52 AM   #1
    minsmerciless
    (female)

minsmerciless HB User
    5 previous C-Spine surgeries; Looking at a possible 6th

Hi! This is my first post, surprisingly.. I probably should have done this a long time ago.

Here's my situation-

Starting in 2008 (age 28), I had an artificial disc replacement at c5-6 level to treat a herniated disc with cord encroachment. Every year for the next four years I had 4 surgeries. Now, 2.5 years after my last surgery (age 35), I'm looking at a 6th. This one would be a fusion at c2-3 level. I'm not finding much information online. my NS hasn't gone into it extensively with me yet. He's pretty scared of me. The X-ray shows the herniation clear as day. I'm getting a new MRI next month and then we'll go from there. I am having terrible muscle spasms- continuing since the last surgery. Headaches and overall discomfort and pain in my entire neck and shoulders. Poor posture due to bad alignment. My head constantly falls forward. Described to me as a suspension bridge with only middle supports.

My question is this- what are the risks associated with c2-3 fusion? Recovery and Long-term limitations (ROM)? Has the surgery been worth it, or a big mistake?

Here is a list of my surgeries-

9/2008- C5-6 Artificial Disc Replacement using Prestige brand artif. disc

9/2009- C5-6 Corrective surgery to remove artif. disc and perform ACDF at that level.

10/2010- C4-5 Artificial Disc Replacement using ProDisc-C brand artif. disc

2/2011- Emergency Corrective Surgery to remove artif. disc (it had slipped out and was very close to hitting my esophagus) and perform ACDF at that level.

7/2012- Posterior Cervical Fusion C3-T1

2/2015- After many months of increasing pain, saw NS and X-ray confirmed disc herniation at C2-3. C1-2 disc bulging. Will be getting new MRI.

I would greatly appreciate any and all input, suggestions.. This is a huge deal for me to go through another surgery. The previous 5 have really taken a toll on me physically and mentally. I'm on Permanent Disability because of 4 failed surgeries and no jobs available for someone that has to frequently lie down and rest. It's very hard to hold my head up for long periods of time. I'm sitting here in my neck collar that I have to still use on occasion (even after 2.5 years since last surgery)
    Thanks!! =)

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: minsmerciless
    Hollykins1 (03-12-2015),istitch4ever (03-12-2015)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2015, 08:23 PM   #2
    capatga
    (female)

capatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB User
    Re: 5 previous C-Spine surgeries; Looking at a possible 6th

Wow you are really young to have had all of the problems with your spine,where you in a bad car wreck ? are you researching these surgeons. It seems you've had a lot of failures with your surgeries . I am facing a possible fusion at C2 /C3 .I had a fusion in 2002 of C4/C5 . I did very well ,didn't even have a noticeable scar, but at the time I had one of the best orthopedist in Dallas county . I am using a neuro this time around. If it were me I would make sure and take my time to find the best surgeon and have a 2n,3r opinion if your insurance will allow it.

Best to you
    Carolyn

2002 fusion C4 / C5 with hardware
    lots of scar tissue from previous surgey
    hardware slipped 1/2 inch
    Several Tia's
    Diagnosis of cervical stenosis with cord contact
    Severe lumbar stenosis L4 / S1
    Scheduled surgery in June for C6 / T1 with cage
    multiple injections with no result in lower back

Last edited by capatga; 03-22-2015 at 08:24 PM.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:21 AM   #3
    minsmerciless
    (female)

minsmerciless HB User
    Hi! Thank you for your response.. I am definitely going to get a 2nd and possible 3rd opinion. I did before my last surgery 2.5 years ago. That neuro agreed with having the surgery done. I've tried facet injections and epidurals to no avail. I even had a rhizotomy. The one thing I can't stand is that I'm stuck with my neurosurgeon- no other doctor will touch me. I'm in a difficult situation. I'm going to do more research and make sure I'm fully informed before undergoing more surgery. Please let me know how you do after your surgery, and good luck!!! 🍀😊

Old 03-23-2015, 06:50 PM   #4
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Did that surgeon do the other surgeries?

Old 03-23-2015, 08:27 PM   #5
    capatga
    (female)

capatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB User

That is a good question . I want to know if the did the other surgeries too.
    Keep us updated on your progress . Hope you have a pain free night

I will be going for pre op orientation on Wednesday. Doc want to move up the surgery date since I am having some bladder control issues.

2002 fusion C4 / C5 with hardware
    lots of scar tissue from previous surgery and bone spurs
    hardware slipped 1/2 inch
    Several Tia's
    Diagnosis of cervical stenosis with cord contact
    Severe lumbar stenosis L4 / S1
    Scheduled surgery in June for C6 / T1 with cage
    multiple injections with no result in lower back

Old 03-24-2015, 09:04 AM   #6
    minsmerciless
    (female)

minsmerciless HB User
    Hi all!

Yes, he did my previous surgeries. I'm mostly upset that he attempted two different artificially disc replacements and not figuring out until it was too late that I'm not an ideal candidate. I have severe kyphosis and that is what was causing my spine to reject the discs. He even used my case as an example at a neuro convention. Awesome, right? Ha ha. Not. Because mine underwent the two artificial disc replacements and had 2 revisions, my neck has become very unstable and it's required the posterior fusion as well. But my neck is still falling forward.. It's so aggravating!!!

Closed Thread