It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stress Message Board

• Does anyone else get sick easier when they're stressed?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-08-2004, 01:06 PM   #1
    sweetprincesita

sweetprincesita HB User
    Does anyone else get sick easier when they're stressed?

Hey guys! Does anyone notice that they catch colds easier when they're going through a lot of stress? Or does anyone notice if their allergies/sinuses act up when they're stressed? I ask because normally I catch about 1 cold a year, but since I've been very stressed for a couple of months now, I've caught 2 colds in about a month and a half. Well, I've never had a proper diagnosis of allergies or sinus problems, so I don't know if that's it, but I have a runny/stuffy nose, itchy throat, headaches, pressure in my head (like my ears are going to pop), sore throat, cough, post nasal drip, hoarse voice....the works!!!!! My stressful time is winding down, so I've been a little less stressed for about a week now, but my body seems to be taking it's time going back to "normal".

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2004, 01:20 PM   #2
    health_freak

health_freak HB User
    Re: Does anyone else get sick easier when they're stressed?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sweetprincesita
    Hey guys! Does anyone notice that they catch colds easier when they're going through a lot of stress? Or does anyone notice if their allergies/sinuses act up when they're stressed? I ask because normally I catch about 1 cold a year, but since I've been very stressed for a couple of months now, I've caught 2 colds in about a month and a half. Well, I've never had a proper diagnosis of allergies or sinus problems, so I don't know if that's it, but I have a runny/stuffy nose, itchy throat, headaches, pressure in my head (like my ears are going to pop), sore throat, cough, post nasal drip, hoarse voice....the works!!!!! My stressful time is winding down, so I've been a little less stressed for about a week now, but my body seems to be taking it's time going back to "normal".
    Yes, ever since I was little, I would always get sick like four or five times a year and had to miss school because I caught a cold, or the flu. It is definitely the stress [why does it have to exist!!] and some people take things over-stressfully, which damages our whole system and our immunity. I suppose the ultimate natural cure is the stop letting work, others, our hectic life affect us. I know it's hard...I still stress out over EVERY thing. It's almost impossible to be calm and relaxed when we are anxious or exhausted, but just take in lots of Vitamin C and lactobaccillus [for the immune system]....

good luck!

Old 08-10-2004, 12:48 PM   #3
    White Sneakers1

Smile Re: Does anyone else get sick easier when they're stressed?

Yes. When you use energy to worry or remain in an anxious state, this weakens your immune system a little and exhausts the body physically and emotionally. So, when you are under a constant state of worry or anxiety, you are apt to become sick on some level, even if it means just feeling completely drained and tired.

Take care.

Old 08-10-2004, 12:54 PM   #4
    dizzygirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dizzygirl HB User

Achoooo.... Ironically, I am sick right now for the 3rd time this year, which is very unusual for me. Just a bad cold, but what a pain. I also have mold in my apartment, so that lowers my immune system too. Yuck!
    Carrie

Old 08-10-2004, 08:11 PM   #5
    Jchandra88

Jchandra88 HB User

It's kind of funny (at the same time irritating), but I posted once a month or two ago that I usually got sick more often when suffering from this anxiety disorder.. I asked if anyone else ever noticed getting sick more often when stressed out.. I got one or two responses.. The first response was "no, I never noticed that." Of course that made me feel all better about my situation. Anyway, I guess I'm still a bit bitter from the lack of response about the same exact question..

I definitely notice getting sicker when I'm stressed out or anxious about something. I think it's scientifically proven that your immune system is affected when you're seriously stressed out.

Old 11-04-2004, 04:56 PM   #6
    singer1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

singer1 HB User

Oh yeah....the mind is a powerful thing!

Closed Thread