It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board

• Sleeping 18-20 hr a day, 1 1/2 yr after stroke

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-12-2015, 07:27 PM   #1
    tdjack
    (female)

tdjack HB User
    Sleeping 18-20 hr a day, 1 1/2 yr after stroke

My husband suffered a massive left-brain stroke 02/2014, due to a clot from uncontrolled atrial fibrillation.The a-fib is under control but left him with cardiomyopathy (weakened heart muscle) which causes him to tire easy.

He lost the use of his right arm, his right leg is extremely weak (he has been going to therapy to help with his balance and to strengthen the leg so he can stand and do transfers), it has also left him with aphasia (garbled speech).

When he first had the stroke he slept alot and I understand that is the way the body and brain heal itself. After about 7-8 months he would be awake about 10-12 hr a day, however, the last couple of months he has started sleeping 19-20 hrs a day again. He will get up long enough to go to the bathroom, drink something, eat something, take his meds, then back to sleep.
    Is this normal for stroke recovery?

His blood work, blood pressure and oxygen levels are perfect. He only takes digoxin, warfarin & paxil. Could it be his body is healing more? Should I be really concerned? Doctors don't know what to tell me.
    Any comments would be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2015, 11:45 AM   #2
    NASHVILLECARE
    (female)

NASHVILLECARE HB User
    Re: Sleeping 18-20 hr a day, 1 1/2 yr after stroke

Something very similar going on with my husband. He had improved a lot and this happened. Let me know if u find anything out, and I will do the same.

Old 10-14-2015, 01:57 PM   #3
    happyface99
    (female)

happyface99 HB User

Hi, My partner has recently had a stroke, he was rushed to hospital and luckily they gave him some strong medicine that i beleive has cleared the large blood clot in the brain. How ever he was sent home after 4 days. I have been trying really hard to look after him. He gets very angry with himself, and seems to go into his own world at times, he is walking the dog, but he become very tired so easily. I worry constantly about him. Is it normal to sleep alot, and also do stroke victims feel overwhelmed by things easily, im just learning. All I know he can get worked up and i worry about future strokes. His blood pressure with higher today i think it because he gets so worked up going to the doctors. So it sounds like sleeping is part of the illness,

Old 11-20-2015, 07:16 PM   #4
    Positive Cynic
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Positive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB User

Hello and thank you for all three of you. You all seem to have the same questions so I will try to address them all. The sleeping issue is always a big concern for the spouse. All I can say is that sleep is a central ingredient for recovery. My stroke was in 2010 and I still sleep in real late some days. I don't fight it anymore because I know my body needs it. One thing you must understand is that a stroke is a life changing event. The brain is altered so the stroke survivor cannot be "like they used to be". Bouts of anger, depression, laughing or crying are all part of the process. These things may not be meant for you, so try not take offense. Some of these things are a reaction from the brain, not truly an emotion.

Men are stubborn (for the most part) and they too want to "be like it was" as much as you do. It is just as hard for the spouse as it is the stroke survivor. Anger also comes from not being able to do simple tasks. We sometimes blame ourselves, but there is no blame for any of this. It just happens and it can happen to anybody. Don't try to make the spouse do something they may not be ready to do. For example, I cooked for the whole family and I enjoyed it too. After my stroke I forgot how to cook. My wife still wanted me to make diner, but I couldn't. She could not understand that and I know that she never would. Only a person that actually has had a stroke is able to identify 100% with what ever the situation may be. There is a mental toll that cannot be explained to someone who has not been through it.

So please be patient with them. They will get better, but it is a long, long process. I don't want to sound grim, but me wife divorced me 2 years after my stroke. Unfortunately that happens to some of us that had a stroke. I am glad at this time in my life that I had a stroke. It has given me a new outlook on life and made me a stronger person in side and with my bond with God. I hope something here helps. By the way, I talk to my ex-wife 3-4 times a day since my stroke, 5 years later. We are best friends and still love each other.

God bless,
    Tim

Old 11-21-2015, 03:12 AM   #5
    happyface99
    (female)

happyface99 HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Sleeping 18-20 hr a day, 1 1/2 yr after stroke

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Positive Cynic View Post
    Hello and thank you for all three of you. You all seem to have the same questions so I will try to address them all. The sleeping issue is always a big concern for the spouse. All I can say is that sleep is a central ingredient for recovery. My stroke was in 2010 and I still sleep in real late some days. I don't fight it anymore because I know my body needs it. One thing you must understand is that a stroke is a life changing event. The brain is altered so the stroke survivor cannot be "like they used to be". Bouts of anger, depression, laughing or crying are all part of the process. These things may not be meant for you, so try not take offense. Some of these things are a reaction from the brain, not truly an emotion.

Men are stubborn (for the most part) and they too want to "be like it was" as much as you do. It is just as hard for the spouse as it is the stroke survivor. Anger also comes from not being able to do simple tasks. We sometimes blame ourselves, but there is no blame for any of this. It just happens and it can happen to anybody. Don't try to make the spouse do something they may not be ready to do. For example, I cooked for the whole family and I enjoyed it too. After my stroke I forgot how to cook. My wife still wanted me to make diner, but I couldn't. She could not understand that and I know that she never would. Only a person that actually has had a stroke is able to identify 100% with what ever the situation may be. There is a mental toll that cannot be explained to someone who has not been through it.

So please be patient with them. They will get better, but it is a long, long process. I don't want to sound grim, but me wife divorced me 2 years after my stroke. Unfortunately that happens to some of us that had a stroke. I am glad at this time in my life that I had a stroke. It has given me a new outlook on life and made me a stronger person in side and with my bond with God. I hope something here helps. By the way, I talk to my ex-wife 3-4 times a day since my stroke, 5 years later. We are best friends and still love each other.

God bless,
    Tim
    Hi Tim, Today I feel I have been strong with coping with my partner Rod who had the stroke, Its great to hear you have been really quite good after your awful time. Now I do understand that if we search for the right answers, we do find them. I want to thank you for being so genuine and real, and it really has given me even more insight towards Rods stroke and his brain. I thinks hes done remarkably well considering his stroke was only 7 weeks ago. We have both been through temper tantrums throwing furniture around breaking something in real bad temper, and also the first 2 weeks was awful walking down the street with him, he threw another tantrum. It was awful. But my faith In God has carried me through. His temper isnt has bad now, and i feel alot more settled in myself. Thank you for explaining how it affects the brain, rod knows hes been unwell for ages and we are sure he had a few little mini strokes in the past that went undetected. I know pray that everything he has done goes ok, I dont want to loose him, as we have been together for 16 years. I pray that God will intervene and that any tests he has done come clear. Hes having a heart monitor soon on him. He also has had other health issues. Its shows how much I must love him. I hope you are happier and that your good advice helps others. The good side is that Rod is walking the dog regularly. Kind Regards Mandy

The following user gives a hug of support to happyface99:
    Positive Cynic (11-21-2015)
    Old 11-25-2015, 07:07 AM   #6
    growagourd
    (female)

growagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB User

I can assure everyone that lots of sleep is perfectly normal. 12 years out, and I still need 12+ hours at night and often take an afternoon nap as well.Our brains just shut down to heal the stroke damage as best it can. My doctor completely supports sleeping when tired. The anger and frustration comes when our lives have changed forever in one day. Knowing you cannot think is both terrifying and a crushing blow to endure. It is very easy to become overwhelmed at what seems like the simplest things. Patience and remaining positive have been my saving grace, as well as keeping connected with other stroke survivors. Be well.

Closed Thread

Tags
    stroke