It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board

• Cerebellum Stroke - Recovery Help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-25-2015, 02:18 AM   #1
    Mike Lawrenson
    (male)

Mike Lawrenson HB User
    Thumbs up Cerebellum Stroke - Recovery Help

I am a 24 year old rugby player. I collapsed at rugby training in New Zealand with extreme dizziness and nausea. I was rushed by ambulance to the ER and they did the relative scans. I had a cerebellar stroke and now in my second week of recovery. The physios seemed very hopeful as all my fine motor skills still work perfectly. However, I have been bed ridden for these two weeks. The physios come to my house to help me- but they have mostly got me to start doing dishes before I feel nausesous or my headache is too unbearable and I have to lie down again. Obviously, I am starting to feel my emotional side being affected as I cannot leave my room and dont see much, if any, improvement. Looking for some understanding of when most people start to have their symptoms improve. I would like to fly back to Chiropractic school in the US in three weeks from today- but from many of the cases ive read and seen elsewhere it seems I wont be recovering for medical school for a long time. I do understand that every brain injury is different and every stroke victim recovers differently- I would just like to know if almost zero improvement for the first few weeks is normal. The Doctors told me I had the best stroke out of all the strokes- but these symptoms are so disabling that I struggle to see any light at the end of the tunnel right now.
    I have lost both parents and therefore am recovering on my own in NZ. My fiance is stuck in school in the US and I am hoping to be cleared to fly back to be with her- but I can hardly take a shower before feeling overwhelmed.
    Looking for any support or understanding of the healing process after a cerebellar stroke and if the nausea is caused by the stroke or the medication provided by the doctors? Physios and pschologists have told me that I will have my up and down days which I definitely do- I just want to make sure I a not being impatient.

Side-note. I have this feeling probably everytime I move after a while of not moving- or on my initial movement of standing up that is similar to that of being on the top of a roller coaster and about to drop. It is an uncomfortable euphoria that makes you feel out of control and Ill probably have a fear of rollercoasters for the rest of my life because of it.

Thank you for listening
    Thanks for your help

Mike

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-21-2015, 03:32 PM   #2
    Positive Cynic
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Positive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB User
    Re: Cerebellum Stroke- Recovery Help

Hey Mike.
    I had this long post for you, but my computer crashed and it is all gone. I just wanted to say is your feelings are normal. I hope I can get this solved and give you more advice.
    Tim

Old 11-21-2015, 03:35 PM   #3
    Positive Cynic
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Positive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB User
    Re: Cerebellum Stroke- Recovery Help

Hey Mike.
    I had this long post for you, but my computer crashed and it is all gone. I just wanted to say is your feelings are normal. I hope I can get this resolved and give you more advice.
    Tim

Old 11-25-2015, 07:23 AM   #4
    growagourd
    (female)

growagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB User
    Re: Cerebellum Stroke - Recovery Help

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike Lawrenson View Post
    I am a 24 year old rugby player. I collapsed at rugby training in New Zealand with extreme dizziness and nausea. I was rushed by ambulance to the ER and they did the relative scans. I had a cerebellar stroke and now in my second week of recovery. The physios sHE'LLeemed very hopeful as all my fine motor skills still work perfectly. However, I have been bed ridden for these two weeks. The physios come to my house to help me- but they have mostly got me to start doing dishes before I feel nausesous or my headache is too unbearable and I have to lie down again. Obviously, I am starting to feel my emotional side being affected as I cannot leave my room and dont see much, if any, improvement. Looking for some understanding of when most people start to have their symptoms improve. I would like to fly back to Chiropractic school in the US in three weeks from today- but from many of the cases ive read and seen elsewhere it seems I wont be recovering for medical school for a long time. I do understand that every brain injury is different and every stroke victim recovers differently- I would just like to know if almost zero improvement for the first few weeks is normal. The Doctors told me I had the best stroke out of all the strokes- but these symptoms are so disabling that I struggle to see any light at the end of the tunnel right now.
    I have lost both parents and therefore am recovering on my own in NZ. My fiance is stuck in school in the US and I am hoping to be cleared to fly back to be with her- but I can hardly take a shower before feeling overwhelmed.
    Looking for any support or understanding of the healing process after a cerebellar stroke and if the nausea is caused by the stroke or the medication provided by the doctors? Physios and pschologists have told me that I will have my up and down days which I definitely do- I just want to make sure I a not being impatient.

Side-note. I have this feeling probably everytime I move after a while of not moving- or on my initial movement of standing up that is similar to that of being on the top of a roller coaster and about to drop. It is an uncomfortable euphoria that makes you feel out of control and Ill probably have a fear of rollercoasters for the rest of my life because of it.

Thank you for listening
    Thanks for your help

Mike

Old 11-25-2015, 07:50 AM   #5
    growagourd
    (female)

growagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB User

Hello Mike,

I'm so sorry to hear of the struggle you are having following your stroke. Recovery is a slow process, requiring lots of patience. It sounds as though you have lots of plans up in the air only 2 weeks post stroke. I have about 12 years following 4 strokes, and have just had a few more this summer. I understand the anxiety all to well. I still do not feel comfortable going places alone, unless they are very close to home. For me, it's knowing that I may not be able to think at any given time. I need lots of sleep, get tired easily and can be very confused at times. I work hard on remaining positive, which has helped the most. Also, having a support system of other stroke survivors. There are just things that are impossible to understand by those without the same experience. We are all over, so keep in touch. Please be patient and kind to yourself...we survived, while many do not. My best to you...

Old 11-26-2015, 04:37 AM   #6
    eemgee
    (male)

eemgee HB Usereemgee HB User

G'Day Mike,
    Every stroke is different, however recovery is usually fairly good for the first 3 months & then the pace seems to slow to a crawl, you have a couple of great advantages & they are your young age & your fitness as an athlete which will help in your recovery. Your balance & nausea are most likely caused by the stroke (I am 8 years post stroke & still suffer daily & I have good results to lessen the effects with very low doses of diazapam)
    Best of luck with your recovery
    Wayne

Closed Thread