It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board

• Father 1 month after stroke

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 03-02-2016, 03:32 PM   #16
    vannatoo
    (female)

vannatoo HB User
    Re: Father 1 month after stroke

Hi. Well, my mom is in the hospital because she vomited yesterday and the day before, slept all the time, did not want to eat etc. She had another bleeding in the head. I think it must have been more than one since she started going down gradually for a month. Wait and see now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2016, 06:34 PM   #17
    JKeith2k
    (male)

JKeith2k HB User

Father is finally beginning to comprehend things again. Can't understand everything but its smalls steps. Hes able to communicate things through hand gestures and expression. He's talking in short sentences real slow but its definite improvement. His sense of compassion and humor are returning and his overall character is starting to show up again which makes us feel great. Hes still struggling with right side weakness and pain but were hoping physical therapy will help improve that over time.

Will give another update in a week or so. Thanks for all reading or following I hope my dads recovery story is helping others understand and cope with this condition.

Old 03-14-2016, 02:10 PM   #18
    vannatoo
    (female)

vannatoo HB User

Hi. Unfortunately, my mom is in the hospital again with another hemorrhagic stroke. That is why she was so down. I do not understand how all the doctors could not figure that out and they were doing blood exams. The scan that was done over a month ago did not show anything but they know that sometimes this is the case and they have to run another one. Well, I believe she has had more than one stroke anyway. Tomorrow, she will have an mri which shows the brain better. We are back to where we started now. I wish everybody good luck with their loved ones.

Old 03-16-2016, 12:51 AM   #19
    guyp
    (male)

guyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB User

Just so you know my father had a stroke and could not speak or get out of bed. Feeding tube and he was amazing when I put him in a powered wheelchair. I talked to him daily as if he could answer me. My dad would take his hand and hold my head to his chest and pat me. Remember that the same person is there he is just locked inside his brain injury. Don't feel sorry for them enjoy the gift of seeing him alive as I did. I also had a stroke and I'm lucky I can move and communicate. It isn't easy but I am happy to be here.

The Following User Says Thank You to guyp For This Useful Post:
    JKeith2k (03-17-2016)
    Old 03-16-2016, 04:11 AM   #20
    vannatoo
    (female)

vannatoo HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by guyp View Post
    Just so you know my father had a stroke and could not speak or get out of bed. Feeding tube and he was amazing when I put him in a powered wheelchair. I talked to him daily as if he could answer me. My dad would take his hand and hold my head to his chest and pat me. Remember that the same person is there he is just locked inside his brain injury. Don't feel sorry for them enjoy the gift of seeing him alive as I did. I also had a stroke and I'm lucky I can move and communicate. It isn't easy but I am happy to be here.
    When I hear things like that I cannot complain. I mean young people having strokes, my mom is 87 y. old and she was very active and in good health until when the stroke happened. She is not well right now, they couldn't put the feeding tube in today because her laryng is swolen,she keeps pulling the tube out all the time even with her hand tied to the bed. It is amazing how she manages to do that in her condition, she hardly moves her good arm at this point.
    It is too early for your dad to improve, I am sure he will. The only setback would be another stroke. The bad thing is that nothing can be done about preventing it, so sad.
    Keep me posted.

Last edited by Administrator; 01-16-2018 at 05:58 AM.

Old 03-16-2016, 09:27 PM   #21
    JKeith2k
    (male)

JKeith2k HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by guyp View Post
    Definitely do enjoy and cherish the fact that he is still here fighting through this terrible situation and he is slowly but surely recovering on a daily basis. Hes got family around him supporting him at all times and i believe thats helping him push through. THanks for responding!!

Old 03-19-2016, 08:38 PM   #22
    JKeith2k
    (male)

JKeith2k HB User

Though my dads recovery is going well the only thing i notice obviously he has lost is his ability to read and write and im not sure if he completely understands everything we say to him. I notice he doesnt know how to use a remote to change channels even though he seems to know what it is for. Hes eating and drinking on his own and cleans his face by himself but when we tried to let him lotion himself he attempted to lick the lotion off his finger lol. Poor dad but he still making strides. Will updated again shortly!

Old 04-08-2016, 08:17 PM   #23
    vannatoo
    (female)

vannatoo HB User

Hi . I hope your father is doing much better. Haven t seen an update lately, is there something wrong?
    Well, unfortunately, it all depends on the damage of the cells, which ones have been affected. I remember my mom would put things in her mouth too.
    Unfortunately, the mri showed a brain malignant tumor which has caused the strokes. Now, she is back to square one. She won't move at all, not even the good arm. I am expecting the worst, you know considering her condition.
    Let me know about your dad.

Old 06-10-2016, 12:12 AM   #24
    JKeith2k
    (male)

JKeith2k HB User

So its been a while since my last update but things are still slowly improving. Still struggling with his right side but he is moving it a little more now so thats definitely something we are very happy about. His language and speech is the most obviously affected skill. He can understand SOME things but others hes completely lost. His speech and language are almost completely gone but he can say a couple words but he uses them in the wrong way so he will need extensive speech and language therapy to help him relearn everything or as much as possible.

Old 12-29-2016, 02:00 AM   #25
    JKeith2k
    (male)

JKeith2k HB User

It took almost a year but we finally got my dad into a therapy facility and hes already showing some great improvement in all the affected areas. What I didn't get a chance to tell you guys is that he did have a second stroke a few weeks ago but it was more of a small minor one that kind of passed through and didn't cause any additional damage. He was treated and released rather quickly which i guess is a good thing. I update you guys in a month or so and let you know how hes progressing thanks for all who have been following and keeping up it helps me cope with everything. Much appreciated!!

Old 12-29-2016, 12:42 PM   #26
    guyp
    (male)

guyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB User

He knows family he just can't express it. Look in his eyes. Patience. My fathe could not speak for 10 years. But he would ask for hugs and pat my head. He's there just can't quite tell you. Hang on.

Old 10-14-2017, 07:13 AM   #27
    JKeith2k
    (male)

JKeith2k HB User

Hi guys, i wanted to stop by and give another update. My dad is finally able to stand up and walk slowly with very minimal assistance. Hes doing alot of things very consistently and fluid and I can definitely tell with more time he will keep improving. His talking is still very limit to a few short phrases. He can understand the majority of what we say, but he just cant express what he wants to say which, for him, is very frustrating and I hate seeing him struggle and get upset. Hopefully with more speech therapy he can overcome! THanks for anyone who is following!

Old 11-08-2017, 11:26 AM   #28
    guyp
    (male)

Hopefully you can give it time to let the Trumatic brain injury Heal and he’ll start to possibly regain some of the what is lost.

Old 11-10-2018, 10:44 PM   #29
    JKeith2k
    (male)

JKeith2k HB User

Hey guys I wanted to stop by and give another update for my fathers progress. Almost at the 3 year mark since he had a stroke Dec 25th 2015.

All his physical abilities are basically back, walking at a slow pace without any assistance. Hes cognitive/mental abilities are alot more fluid. At first I thought maybe he lost some memories but now I can tell after all this time his memories are still intact for the most part. I know it sounds dumb for me to say that but you gotta understand for atleast a year I honestly thought he forgot some people or places mainly because of his facial expressions and lack of communication skills.

Speaking of communication, his speech is still where the struggle lies. Hes still talking very minimally. Hes understands the majority of what were saying but speaking back hes still having a rough time. Im not with him everyday so I dont know how the speech therapy sessions are going but maybe this is just one of those things that will take a complete family effort not just some hours of therapy.

Ill keep you guys updated sorry for lack of updates I work in manufacturing so my hours get real crazy sometimes but Ill try my best to get on here more regularly.

Old 01-29-2019, 05:47 PM   #30
    guyp
    (male)

My father had a massive left side stroke. He knew us but couldn’t speak other out of bed by himself. We took him from the rehab facility and my mom and I took care of him with a feeding tube for ten years. There is so much to say for love. Make sure you stand on his left side as he will be better able to see you.

Reply Reply