It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board

• Dad's stroke, I'm confused

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-09-2016, 12:57 PM   #1
    hdan
    (male)

hdan HB User
    Dad's stroke, I'm confused

My dad had a stroke 1 month ago. I'm trying to understand what is happening to him. If someone could explain to me I would appreciate.
    First of all I need to mention that my father suffers from diabetes and just started dialysis 1 week before stroke.
    The situation is like this.
    After the stroke my dad woke up in the Hospital. We could not see something wrong with him. He could speak and move all legs and hands. When the doctor examined him they told us that it was a big stroke and that he is weak on his left side.
    Then I read about hemiparesis and hemiplegia. Hemiparesis is when you feel weakness on one side and hemiplegia is when you are paralysed on one side. So I came to the conclusion that dad's case is hemiparesis.
    The next day he had a strong epileptic shock. Doctors said it's common after big strokes and that he should start epilepsy medication.
    After 10 days more epileptic shocks came. Then we increased medication and epilepsy stopped.
    After the last epileptic shocks his left side got completely paralyzed. We feared of a second stroke. We took him to the hospital and they told us there is no second stroke. The damage was still the same.
    We called a neurologist and he told us that the paralysis is from the epilepsy. It should go away.
    However it has been 3 weeks now and he is still paralyzed on his left side. I read on the internet that paralysis after epilepsy comes back maximum after 3 days.
    I'm confused. Is the paralysis symptom of a stroke that came to surface 10 days after or is it an epilepsy symptom?
    Is it normal that 1 month after the stroke he feels worse and more tired than the first 10 days of the stroke?
    Thank you for reading.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2016, 02:31 PM   #2
    vannatoo
    (female)

vannatoo HB User
    Re: Dad's stroke, I'm confused

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hdan View Post
    My dad had a stroke 1 month ago. I'm trying to understand what is happening to him. If someone could explain to me I would appreciate.
    First of all I need to mention that my father suffers from diabetes and just started dialysis 1 week before stroke.
    The situation is like this.
    After the stroke my dad woke up in the Hospital. We could not see something wrong with him. He could speak and move all legs and hands. When the doctor examined him they told us that it was a big stroke and that he is weak on his left side.
    Then I read about hemiparesis and hemiplegia. Hemiparesis is when you feel weakness on one side and hemiplegia is when you are paralysed on one side. So I came to the conclusion that dad's case is hemiparesis.
    The next day he had a strong epileptic shock. Doctors said it's common after big strokes and that he should start epilepsy medication.
    After 10 days more epileptic shocks came. Then we increased medication and epilepsy stopped.
    After the last epileptic shocks his left side got completely paralyzed. We feared of a second stroke. We took him to the hospital and they told us there is no second stroke. The damage was still the same.
    We called a neurologist and he told us that the paralysis is from the epilepsy. It should go away.
    However it has been 3 weeks now and he is still paralyzed on his left side. I read on the internet that paralysis after epilepsy comes back maximum after 3 days.
    I'm confused. Is the paralysis symptom of a stroke that came to surface 10 days after or is it an epilepsy symptom?
    Is it normal that 1 month after the stroke he feels worse and more tired than the first 10 days of the stroke?
    Thank you for reading.

Closed Thread