It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board

• New to this! Normal post stroke side affects/symptoms?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 04-29-2018, 08:19 AM   #1
    teeenz
    (female)

teeenz HB User
    New to this! Iím 22, left cerebellar stroke caused by vertebral artery dissection

Hi everyone,

I'm new on this, nice to meet you all! I thought it'd be nice to get on here and get some answers and just share thoughts and information about strokes with people who are/have gone through the same thing. I feel that after coming out of hospital I wasn't given much information on what I should expect post stroke and how I should deal with any symptoms or whatnot.

Here's my story:
    I am a healthy, goes to the gym 3 times a week, just moved to London and was about to start a job 22 year old. Yes I know it's crazy and I still can't believe I had a stroke especially at this age! On April 12th 2018 I suffered from a stroke that I didn't realise was one until 3 days later on the 15th. I had a slight droopy eyelid the day before it happened and was strangely feeling tired and sleepy with no particular reason. I thought it must've been just due to stress and the interviews I was having that week. Then, the next day I started having neck pain and pressure and ache in the back of my head.

I was at a food festival and I felt a tingling down the right side of my body and I had a stinging feeling in my eye one after the other and I was seeing tiny waves. My friend initially thought I was having a stroke but I could raise my arms above my head, and I could walk and talk normally. We left the food festival as I thought the eye problem might have been due to the smoke from the food, but the stinging and waves came back again for a minute or two. I went home early that night as my headache was still there and so I took some ibuprofen and went to bed thinking it was tension headache.

The next day, my headache was still there but I was feeling better. However, in the afternoon, my left side started to feed weak and numb and I couldn't use my left hand properly. Thinking this was very weird, I went to see the GP and by this point I was also feeling dizzy and couldn't walk or put my weight on my left leg. The GP brushed me off telling me it wasn't a stroke as I had passed the stroke test (which I thought was very short and silly and didn't actually look at my situation in much detail) and probably cause I was so young and didn't fit the "stroke patient criteria". And so I was sent home to rest from a potential stress related migraine with no meds given whatsoever.

When I woke up at 2am on the 15th, I was so dizzy that I couldn't read anything on my phone so I panicked. I was alone in the flat as my flatmate was away and my family made me call the ambulance, and so the paramedics walked me down the stairs and I took the ambulance by myself at 4am in the morning, it was quite scary. I waited forever in the A&E and the doctor initially thought I had an ear infection, but she referred her colleague to me anyway who performed a more detailed stroke test and made me walk in a straight line and point to my nose then to his finger which I wasn't good at doing with my left side. He then referred me to a neurologist who ordered a CT scan for me. At that point I still thought it might be a trapped nerve from doing weightlifting with the bar at the gym but it turned out to be a potential stroke. I was admitted to the hospital where they took lots of my blood and did many tests and I had a CTA scan and was finally diagnosed with a left cerebellar stroke caused by vertebral artery dissection (VAD). I was discharged 2 days later and was prescribed aspirin (300mg) for 11 days switching to clopidogrel (75mg) which I have just started and atorvastatin every day for the rest of my life...

So here I am now just wanting to share my experience and looking to see if you guys can shed some light on me and tell me what post-stoke symptoms I have to be aware of and know what's normal/abnormal. I've been recovering quite well, almost regained full function of my left side however my typing and writing is still not at 100% and I have been practicing daily. When I go up some stairs now I get a bit weak and lightheaded, just things I used to be able to do easily I feel that is slightly difficult for me now. I still get the odd back of the head headache and neck pain. As of today, exactly two weeks since I've been admitted, I feel tired but I have been fine the past weeks. Is this normal? I also currently have a cold - cough, stuffy and runny nose. Not sure if it's actually a cold or a side effect from the statin? Taken paracetamol but my nose is still blocked. My droopy eyelid was recovering two days ago but has come back today. I really don't want to go through it all again.

I am quite upset and shocked that this has all happened to me and it is so much to take in. I literally just moved to London to live here and look for a job and when I've finally found one and was settling in, this happens to me. I will be flying home to recover for a few months as my family is worried about me and wants me to be fully recovered before I'm back again. It just feels like I've climbed a mountain and fallen all the way back down. I know my health is most important though so am trying to look at this in a positive light. I might have been unlucky with the stroke but I am very lucky to have come out of it okay as I know many don't survive or suffer from serious disabilities from this. Also, this has been a big wakeup call for me to take good care of my body and to also raise awareness for other people as it can happen to anyone at any age at any time!

Please share your post-stroke symptoms and effects with me so I know what to expect. And if you've had a VAD and stroke, let me know how long it took for your VAD to heal and share your recovery process with me! So sorry for the long long post, just wanted to get it all off my chest!

Thanks so much,
    Teen

Last edited by teeenz; 04-30-2018 at 04:05 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2018, 10:21 AM   #2
    ed71
    (male)

ed71 HB User
    Re: New to this! Normal post stroke side affects/symptoms?

Hello and welcome
    You have found a place that can and will help you better understand what your going thru
    Its a long processes but don't be afraid to ask questions
    Good luck and never give up
    Ed

Reply Reply

Tags
    recovery, stroke, symptoms, vertebral artery dissection