It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board

• I had a stroke - I'm scared.

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 04-13-2019, 11:33 AM   #1
    CyndiHoo
    (female)

CyndiHoo HB User
    I had a stroke - I'm scared.

I had a stroke 4 weeks ago yesterday. The day before the stroke i was released from hospital, was there for a week after being diagnosed with pneumonia and copd. I'm 52. My husband saw that the left side of my face was drooping, he wasted no time. He picked me up, out me in his truck and said we had to go back to hospital. I argued. My primary doc who just released me was there soon after they have me TPA. I am in Tennessee, I was airlifted to Knoxville to a waiting stroke team. I am lucky, TPA worked. I regained movement in my left side. But I would see the same stroke team two weeks later. I am thankful for my stroke. They found 2 brain aneurysms, one 10 mm. I was scheduled for surgery two weeks after stroke. The surgeon repaired both by cooling them. My husband was told by surgeon i had a blocked artery, he could insert a mesh tube to regain blood flow, of course my husband told him to do it. I have 50 percent flow back.
    I was released the next day.
    I am ADHD, of course doc took my adderall. Which I understand. For two weeks after surgery I had very very bad headaches. My head just hurt doo bad. At first my daughter called the surgeons office. They gave me something for the pain for a week. My daughter called again the next week. The headaches were just bad. They said it was not from the surgery, but from the stroke. I saw my primary doc this week. He gave me something for the headaches. He thinks that I'm having migranes. The medicine is just for migraines.
    I'm so tired. But I can't sleep during the day. I have sleeping pills, but they are for bedtime. I don't want to be tired. At the same time, I think a nap in the day would help, I think.
    I can move everything, speech and all are ok. I know I am soo lucky. But, I'm scared. I look in the mirror and I'm different. It's not me i see in the mirror. I just want to be me again or close to me.
    Any advice, I welcome it. I'm scared. I want to play with my grandkids.
    Thank you

The following user gives a hug of support to CyndiHoo:
    MSNik (04-13-2019)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2019, 12:38 PM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: I had a stroke in scared

Hi CyndiHoo, what a story! Yes you are really lucky! I am very happy that you had such a good husband who took such good care of you and got you the help you needed so quickly..

Has anyone suggested that the headaches might be from the adderall withdraw? My son went off of it and had terrible headaches for a few weeks as his body got used to being without it. Just something to think about and ask about.

As for looking in the mirror, everytime you do it say "thank you" to youself. You are alive you are able to do the things you did pre-stroke and you will gain more abilities as the days go by...has anyone suggested any kind of PT to help you?

Stay strong and remember how luck you are!

Blessings!

Old 04-13-2019, 12:45 PM   #3
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User
    Re: I had a stroke in scared

Dear CyndiHoo,

I am sure you will hear from those who have had a stroke. I haven't had that myself, so far. But have had a lot of surgeries, procedures, anesthetic and so on.

A month after all you have been through and you are doing very well.
    Hon, try to remember that the medication affects your sense of time. And fear is not your friend. maybe some health related counseling would benefit you so you have realistic expectations about the recovery process.

You are doing great. How you feel about all of this is normal. But give yourself time for full recovery. Your job for now is to relax and regroup. Not to jump back into regular daily activity.

This may be a good time to work on organizing those boxes of photos, or some other rather sedate activities that you can pick up or just leave alone, you know?

Old 09-17-2019, 06:24 PM   #4
    guyp
    (male)

guyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB User
    Re: I had a stroke - I'm scared.

I had a stroke 7 years ago. I am like you as seeing someone different in the mirror. I’m thankful that I’ve been able to see my grandchildren born and grow. So being thankful helps being different. I hope this helps.

Reply Reply