It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board

• What exactly is a TIA???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-10-2005, 07:42 PM   #1
    Stacia
    (female)

Stacia HB UserStacia HB User
    Exclamation What exactly is a TIA???

I'm wondering what exactly a TIA is? I'm not really looking for a text book answer but more so examples of how you know you are having one. My husband was doctoring for some facial pain. Actually, he described as gum pain that when up his cheek. We went to the dentist, GP, Sinus guy and ended up at a Neurologist that found brain damage. He had a stroke. (The facial pain wasn't the stroke, the stroke happend a couple of years prior to the diagnosis.) The neuro ran a bunch of tests and my husband has a blood clotting disorder along with a tiny hole in his heart. On occasion he still has this facial pain. I was wondering if it could be a TIA?

Our new hematologist is sending us for another opinion with a cardiologist on September 27th on having the hole closed. I'm afraid the the doc is going to give us a choice. That I don't want!! I want the choice to be made for us. The choice being, fixing the hole or staying on the thinners for the rest of your life. I don't want the chioce because I don't understand the pros and cons of each. Also, if these are still TIA's that he is having wouldn't it be safer for him to stay on the thinners?? And part of me is thinking that he should have the hole fixed AND stay on the thinners because of this blood disorder he has. Or maybe I'm afraid of being a widow in my 30's.

Thanks for any input you have. I truly appreciate it!!

Stacia

Last edited by Stacia; 09-10-2005 at 07:44 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2005, 08:06 PM   #2
    angel_bear
    Inactive
    (female)

angel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB User
    Re: What exactly is a TIA???

Quote:
    A transient ischemic attack (TIA) is a transient stroke that lasts only a few minutes. It occurs when the blood supply to part of the brain is briefly interrupted. TIA symptoms, which usually occur suddenly, are similar to those of stroke but do not last as long. Most symptoms of a TIA disappear within an hour, although they may persist for up to 24 hours. Symptoms can include: numbness or weakness in the face, arm, or leg, especially on one side of the body; confusion or difficulty in talking or understanding speech; trouble seeing in one or both eyes; and difficulty with walking, dizziness, or loss of balance and coordination.
    Ok .. you didn't ask for the text book, but I thought this was a pretty good one anyway.

On the home front, My MIL suffers periodic TIA's. The best way this was explained to me was this:

USUALLY ..... the blood supply and electrical current that goes to each neuron in the brain sometimes stops. Usually, it starts up again and we're more than likely, none the wiser that one stopped. After all, it's only one, and the brain is pretty big, and heck, we wouldn't miss a few anyway. Sometimes, a neuron in a USED area of the brain mis-fires, and you might notice you pronounced "shell" wrong .. perhaps you said "sell" instead of (this is just an example) that could be a mis-fired neuron. Yet, you will be able to say "shell" again, because in a normal person, it's highly probably that neuron will work again.

BUT ......if the neuron doesn't get fired up again, without a blood supply and an electrical current, it dies. It cannot be revived. If you have a series of them in important places in the brain, it can cause "Multi-Infarct Dementia" and stronger signs of stroke.

I hope I haven't confused you totally.

Cheers
    Mustang_Sally

Old 09-11-2005, 03:05 PM   #3
    Stacia
    (female)

Stacia HB UserStacia HB User
    Re: What exactly is a TIA???

The quote on TIA's is actually a really good descripion. Thank you! After reading that I am thinking that the facial pain isn't a TIA because it can last for days. However, I am going to look up that Multi-Infarct Dementia.

Any opinions on the PFO closure versus the thinners??

Thank you for the response. I REALLY appreciate it.

Stacia

Closed Thread