It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board

• stroke help needed

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-26-2006, 10:49 AM   #1
    sue erlendson
    (female)

sue erlendson HB User
    stroke help needed

My Dad had a stroke on Nov. 05. Left side has small movement, lacks fine motor skill. My Mom is fighting cancer. This is the advice we are looking for.
    My Mom is getting up 5-6 times a night to give my dad the urnial. She needs her sleep but being older she feels he gets a rash and diapers seem to signal to her she has giving up. Are there any produts or things people have figured out to let him urinate himself at night considering his limitations?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2006, 11:11 AM   #2
    Larry88
    (male)

Larry88 HB UserLarry88 HB UserLarry88 HB UserLarry88 HB UserLarry88 HB UserLarry88 HB UserLarry88 HB UserLarry88 HB UserLarry88 HB UserLarry88 HB UserLarry88 HB User
    Re: stroke help needed

hi Sue, first of all I'm very sorry to hear of your dad's stroke. though in the realm of things 5 months, though seems like an eternity? post stroke. is actually a short amount of time. many doctors and therapists say " 6 months is the window for stroke recovery" don't'! believe it. my stroke was on 11/02/92, I'm still recovering and improving? though the improvements are much more subtle and longer in being seen? my stroke was similar to your dad's in the sense, (Left side effected) I can remember having the same problems urinating. though I wasn't released from rehab until I could perform all transfers from my wheelchair, to other chairs, toilet, etc. as well as getting myself into and out of bed. still need the aid of a handrail on the side of my bed. if this might help your dad? you can find these doing an internet search, or your local medical supply pharmacy may carry them? mine just slips between the bed box spring and mattress. which gives me all the support I need to get in and out of bed. I think "sears" has a handicapped products catalog that carries these. not sure where my wife ordered mine? you might ask your dad's doctors, if any of his meds may be diuretic in nature? causing him to pass water more than usual? I seem to remember being told that strokes such as mine, and possibly your dad's? the stroke itself because of the area of the brain effected? causes the patient to urinate more frequently? I remember times I'd need to get up 10-15 times a night! maybe Chris will chime in with his expertise in this area? maybe, start a new post directly to him? I think his board name is "cflas"? he has 20+ years dealing with stroke patients? I've only been dealing with my own stroke about 13/12 years. and my memories may be fuddled? another thing, before I was able to get myself in and out of the bed, I used what I think is called a "folley cathader"? you might ask your doctor or pharmacy about that? it goes on kind of like a condom, with a hose that goes into a bacg that can be empied each morning. should hold his excretions during the night? though they're not comfortable to use? at least is possible to use! having lost my own mother just over a year ago to brain cancer, I agree your mother needs all the rest she can get!

I hope I've helped you maybe just a little bit? withour breaking any board rules!

again, a new post to cfas may be benificial to you wityh his expertise?

may god bless us all

Larry/coupe

"stroke survivor

Old 04-29-2006, 06:05 PM   #3
    sue erlendson
    (female)

sue erlendson HB User

Larry, Thanks so much for the information. I wasnt aware that recovery would still be happening after 12/13 years, also the stroke itself causing frequent urination. My dad does have a bed rail. Just hasnt perfected it yet.
    I have found that you have to ask the right questions in this situation, and with all the emotions we are going through on top of that I really am glad to have the internet at my fingertips. I appreciate your taking the time to help.
    I will follow up with a post to Chris.

God bless you and yours,
    Sue

Old 05-02-2006, 04:14 PM   #4
    trdawn
    (female)

trdawn HB User

Sue,
    You responded to my post and I am not sure if you received mine back to you (I am new at all this stuff & don't know if I'm doing it correctly..haha). Anyway, I was curious about this "boot camp" thing you mentioned--how did you find it and was it in a hospital or rehab place? Can your Dad walk and speak? If so how long did it take for him to walk and could he always speak or have to re-learn? My dad cannot speak (it's all garbled & can't understand it). Dad's medicare days will run out in a month, I am not sure what to do. How is home health working for you? Any information you can give me would be most appreciated...as I have no idea what to do. At this boot camp what all did they teach your Dad and how long was he there? My Dad is getting better, but can't walk or transfer himself, right side is paralyzed. He's feeding himself now & more aware; today he stood in the standing frame at physical therapy for 30 min (big for Dad). If your Dad re-learned speech how did that happen?? I don't see much going on in the way of speech therapy w/ our current therapist. Thanks for any help...trdawn

Old 05-03-2006, 04:33 PM   #5
    sue erlendson
    (female)

sue erlendson HB User

Hi trdawn,

Yes I see your message now.
    Glad to hear your dad is up for 30 min. thats alot .He seems do be doing well that way. No my dad didnt speak right away. It was maddening.
    Alot of guessing. He did try to write. Which made very little sense.
    After he did start to speak it was hard to understand.Took awhile he is still slow in speaking. They did tell us once he started to speak to correct him in his thinking and time of day. He would often go off to some weird place. And see things that we didnt I guess this is all a process.
    What about your dad typing on a computer? It would be pecking but at least he could get his thoughts across. Ask if medicare will provide something like this. We found out this boot camp at the rehab place he was staying. This Rehab specialized in neuro. trauma. see if any of the nurses or hospitals know of one near you If possible get him moved asap. Does your dad understand you? Thats great if he does. What kind of man was he?
    I only ask because my dad was this very strong sort of macho head of the family guy. I cant tell you how that has changed and the laughs we have had. You just have to laugh, that willcome after things settle. Believe me nothing brings you home more then to have to have your daughter change your diaper. Well gotta go. Let me know how all goes.

God Bless,
    Sue

Old 05-07-2006, 07:23 PM   #6
    trdawn
    (female)

trdawn HB User

Sue,
    Thanks for your reply. Do you remember how long it took before your dad's speech (that you could understand) began? Dad talks alot, but I only occasionally think I know a word or two--very frustrating. Was the "boot camp" thing called that or something else? I will try to call around and see if I can find anything like it near here. Yes, Dad seems to understand what I say and is doing better at pointing at what he wants and doing a yes or no nod so that helps. How are things going w/your dad being at home? We want to bring dad to our home hopefully the first of July (my youngest daughter is getting married July 1)--so things are hectic right now. What about foods? Is your dad on a regular diet? I have not been too pleased with the speech therapist we have....she had dad on pureed diet forever now she's on mechanical soft meats...I think it's time to move on. She does very little in the way of speech work (or so it seems to me), I will look into the computer idea...that might be worth a try! I am learning you do have to laugh..otherwise you would just sit down & cry! Thanks for writing back..it helps so much to hear from others & what they did. All of this is new territory for me. take care.
    God Bless,
    trdawn

The following user gives a hug of support to trdawn:
    ennbee (04-10-2011)
    Closed Thread