HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Stroke (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/stroke/)
-   -   Is this another mini stroke??? (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/stroke/399244-another-mini-stroke.html)

White Tara 06-08-2006 01:27 PM

Is this another mini stroke???

My husband, who is his mid 60's haad a mini stroke about two years ago. I was away at the time, and although he knew it had happened he didn't go to the Doctor. When I returned I found him almost normal, but with strange habits, like forgetting to bathe for two weeks, and getting angry over the slightest things and very rude to myself and our two grown daughters. I did manage to get him to the Dr, and he had a MRI, which proved that he had had this mini stroke - and smaller ones before that. He has since been on medication and seems to be fine - until about a month ago when he started to behave strangely again. Opening my mail - no excuses except he thinks it for him, and having to take everything out of the shopping bags which he then folds certain way, which he hoards down stairs. He takes emotional deafness to extreems and just doesn't listen. He is now retired and doing a part time job which he is good at and likes. No problems there. Never has been on the work side of life. Generally he is driving me crazy - and then says it's all my problem anyway. The last stroke he had he blamed me for not being around, as I would have sent him to the doctor if I had been there. Does anyone else out there have a problem like mine? If so how do you deal with it. Thank you for listening :confused:

jprinz99 06-09-2006 04:26 AM

Re: Is this another mini stroke???

While I am no MD, it does sound like a TIA/mini stroke or perhaps a smaller stroke. This is very much like the behaviors my granmother exhibits. She has had nemerous TIAs and several "stroke" strokes. She has progressed into what they said was vascular dementia from the recurrent damage. We tried Aricept but the side effects coupled with her pre-existing health issues were not a good combo, so we stopped it.

We have been told (after having tolerated it for a long time) to confront her gently when she is innaproppriate. If she gets offensive or gets worse we are to snap back like we would for anyone. "That is mean and I will not be treated that way" - then walk away. We tell her when she really gets out of line and I also tell her to apologize. No pity party or blameam allowed here in this anymore. It was causing to much strife and we started to get to the point we dreaded dealing with her.

One key thing we learned (an great team of an OT and PT suggested this) works for us is for someone (not the person she 'attacks verbally') to tell her she was snotty or rude, insensitive, etc and how it made the other person feel. We let her know that "X" and the rest of us are doing the best we can, but we [U]all [/U] have to take care of each other as we are a family, including her. Then "X" will go in a bit later to do whatever and Gramma usually will be nice and/or say sorry. Of course this doesn't always work... We have also learned to pick our battles, kind of like dealing with kids and teenagers.

I think you should ask your doc - hopefully someone who sees a lot of stroke or dementia patients (they often can have similar "behaviors" at certain times). A gerontologist (specializes in elederly) migh be a good start. Don't forget depression is common in stroke patients. As in 'if they have a stroke 90% usually also will develop depression'. It just appears slightly different, often affecting attitude and beaviors. They may not get morose or super down, but it must be tought to know you have had a cerebral vascular incident. It has got to mess with thier heads and emotions at least somewhat. Heck, I even get touchy when I just have the flue.

I hope this may have helped in some small way. Take it all with a grain of salt as I am definately not a doctor, just one of the 'stroke caregivers club' - one club nobody wants to join! :angel:

jane