It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board

• What is the difference between a stroke and a anxiety attack?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-05-2007, 06:27 PM   #1
    olivedrab777
    (male)

olivedrab777 HB User
    What is the difference between a stroke and a anxiety attack?

What is the difference between a stroke and a anxiety attack? Ive heard that people can have a stroke and not even know it. And people that are having anxiety or panic attacks think they are having a stroke, because of all the head sensations they get. So what does a stroke feel like as compared to an anxiety attack? What are the lasting feelings of a stroke in your head? I know having anxiety makes your head feel weird all the time. Is there a difference between them? Or is the only way to know for sure is to get a cat scan?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2007, 02:03 PM   #2
    Makin' it
    (female)

Makin' it HB User
    Re: What is the difference between a stroke and a anxiety attack?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by olivedrab777 View Post
    What is the difference between a stroke and a anxiety attack? Ive heard that people can have a stroke and not even know it. And people that are having anxiety or panic attacks think they are having a stroke, because of all the head sensations they get. So what does a stroke feel like as compared to an anxiety attack? What are the lasting feelings of a stroke in your head? I know having anxiety makes your head feel weird all the time. Is there a difference between them? Or is the only way to know for sure is to get a cat scan?

A stroke is either from a bleed or a clot. Research has stated that it feels like you're very tired and quickly go to sleep. Some people are still completely aware of their surroundings and do not realize something is wrong but they are unable to respond. An MRI is more effective in finding evidence of a stroke than a CAT scan.

A panic attack still affects your body physically but usually is a result of a thought or a reaction to an external event. Shortness of breath, tightness in chest, dizziness, heart racing, sweating, etc. I'm unaware of a test that would identify an anxiety attack except for questioning their current mental state and standard tests.

Old 06-12-2007, 04:49 PM   #3
    madfit
    (female)

madfit HB User

Hi,
    I had a stroke almost 5 years ago at age 55. I had a blood clot. My right side, leg, arm, hand was affected leaving me totally paralyzed. I was put on total disability.

I did not feel anything. I was totally aware of all my surroundings, alert and answering all the questions that were asked in the ER. My memory was very sharp, both present and passed. Although I had a very slight speech impediment in the beginning, it quickly was restored within one week.

Today, I walk with a single cane outdoors, nothing indoors. I got about 75% recovery, even been driving the past year.

My point, some strokes you don't even notice you're having. The only thing that was indicated something was wrong, my hand felt kind of numb, that's all.

Old 06-22-2007, 09:45 AM   #4
    kshadylady
    (female)

kshadylady HB User

hiya just wondered if your right side(ARM AND LEG) went completly have you got any use what so ever in either????? im new to this recently had a stroke myself im 40 yrs old and lost the use of my arm did loose my speech and also the use of my leg but that is slowly coming back now after 4 months would you be able to give me any advice on how to get back to normal id appreciate anything that is said that would help me thanxs

Old 06-22-2007, 02:49 PM   #5
    madfit
    (female)

madfit HB User

Hi,
    Yes my right arm and leg went completely. The leg came back much faster than the arm, hand and fingers. They say the arm takes longer. In my case it didn't start coming back until four months after the stroke. To make matters worse, I am right-handed and had to learn writing with my left hand.
    I never lost my speech, thank God!

After alot of determination, strong will, and a whole lot of exercises, I regained about 80% full finction back with my arm and fingers. I have some great exercises which helped me tremendously after therapy which I did at home and brought most of my function back. If you want these exercises let me know and I'll be glad to add them on this forum.

The most important thing, never give up hope! By the way, I even went back to driving about a year now, after not being able to drive for 3 years.
    Let me know if you're interested in the exercises.
    Madfit

Closed Thread