HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Stroke (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/stroke/)
-   -   the doctor says my husband had a mini stroke (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/stroke/557684-doctor-says-my-husband-had-mini-stroke.html)

jackienadtwix 12-01-2007 12:29 PM

the doctor says my husband had a mini stroke

im very worried my husband went to the doctors with a pain and weakness in his hand we went to hospital the junior drs said he didnt think he had a stoke the specilist said he thought he had, my husband then left the hospital and wouldnt return, he says he feels fine, will he have another one, he has also asked me to promise him that if he has a big one i leave him to die rather than letting him be disabled. i am really stuggerling with all of this, i cant promise anything to him. guess there is nothing i can do hust needed someone to talk to thanks

Makin' it 12-02-2007 08:50 AM

Re: the doctor says my husband had a mini stroke

Why did they let him leave the hospital if there was no determined prognosis? Did he leave AMA? Were they scheduling him for additional tests?

I'm sorry that you feel helpless.

You don't have many answers (going by your post) to feel at ease at all.

Your hands are somewhat tied if your husband is being resistant. He should really go and get a check up from his PCP and just watch his diet and exercise at a minimum.

I hope the best for you.

kylesnana 12-02-2007 03:55 PM

Kathie, I hope you can convince your husband to have further testing. I had a series of TIAs (mini strokes) in early June. I was hospitalized for several days but unfortunately the MDs misdiagnosed my TIAs for a much more serious and rare brain disorder. It was the scariest time of my life but I felt that the diagnosis was not correct.

I was insistent on further tests, of which I had many including MRIs, MRA, CAT Scans, EEG etc., and the result was a reevaluation of my diagnosis. I was sent to a vascular surgeon who immediately did an extensive angiogram looking at both my brain arteries as well as my carotid arteries. The left carotid had a blockage but it appeared to be 70% blocked - normally carotid artery surgery is done on larger blockages. My vascular surgeon felt that surgery was required, however, due to the possibility that I mave have actually had some stroke activity.

I had carotid artery surgery in late September and the remains of what had been a large blood clot was still there. My surgeon said he was shocked to see how serious the condition was. He operated and I was discharged from the hospital a day later! The surgery was a breeze - some discomfort in the neck and chin area (and a large incision!) but tolerable.

Today, I feel better that I've felt in a couple of years. At 63 I have the energy and enthusiam of a 50 year old!! What a change for me.

I hope you will show this rather long message to your hubby. A full blown stroke is a horrendous thing....leaving many with insurmountable disabilities. A stroke has always been my #1 fear. My surgery saved my life... tell your husband to please be persistent and get tests done. TIAs are a signal that a major stroke could occur in the next couple of years...we all should do whatever we can to protect ourselves and our loved ones.

I'll keep you in my thoughts.

Jan

jackienadtwix 12-02-2007 10:04 PM

hi thanks for the reply, i have pursuded my husband to go the drs today to arrange the ct scan and blood tests, my husband is a long term diabetic, he went to the drs for what he thought was arteritus and ended up being told he had a mini stoke i think he was frightened, i think what they said has sunk in now,so hopefully he can get the treatment needed to prevent this happening again. thanks again for the reassurance.
jackie

Dusty60 12-10-2007 09:46 AM

[QUOTE=jackienadtwix;3331467]im very worried my husband went to the doctors with a pain and weakness in his hand we went to hospital the junior drs said he didnt think he had a stoke the specilist said he thought he had, my husband then left the hospital and wouldnt return, he says he feels fine, will he have another one, he has also asked me to promise him that if he has a big one i leave him to die rather than letting him be disabled. i am really stuggerling with all of this, i cant promise anything to him. guess there is nothing i can do hust needed someone to talk to thanks[/QUOTE]

I am sorry that your husband has had a mini stroke and that have been upset about it. I have had two in the past month. The last one was just a few days ago and I was put in ICU with a very large work up done on me. Being your hubby has diabetes this really increases his risk factors. I am not trying to scare you, only having you face reality which I think you are and I hope you can convince him to do the same. I am also diabetic, HBP and thyroid problems. I was put on Plavix and right now a full strength asperin for another week, then I discontinue the asperin.

A stroke does not always mean he will be terminal however it can be very disabling and as you know we don't make choices on things like that. I will tell you what my husband and I have done to make our wishes known....we have a Living Will and have appt a Health Power of Attorney. These two things make it very plain of how we want our final days played out.

Best of luck and health to you and your husband.

jackienadtwix 12-11-2007 09:42 AM

hi thank u for the reply, i hope u are feeling better, its a very worrying time for both of us as im sure it is for u my hubby is still waiting for his ct scan but he has had the blood tests and chest x rays, he has also cut down his smoking which is good, he is going to give up over christmas which will improve his chases of not having another stroke, he has got to keep his diabetes as stable as he can, i will be glad when he has had all his tests and results as we can then start and make plans for the future however long or short that may be, thank you for chatting its good to know that there is support from stangers, and comforting for me to talk to people who have experianced this. thanks again
jackie;)

Peg54 12-14-2007 07:09 PM

[QUOTE=Dusty60;3344083]I am sorry that your husband has had a mini stroke and that have been upset about it. I have had two in the past month. The last one was just a few days ago and I was put in ICU with a very large work up done on me. Being your hubby has diabetes this really increases his risk factors. I am not trying to scare you, only having you face reality which I think you are and I hope you can convince him to do the same. I am also diabetic, HBP and thyroid problems. I was put on Plavix and right now a full strength asperin for another week, then I discontinue the asperin.

A stroke does not always mean he will be terminal however it can be very disabling and as you know we don't make choices on things like that. I will tell you what my husband and I have done to make our wishes known....we have a Living Will and have appt a Health Power of Attorney. These two things make it very plain of how we want our final days played out.

Best of luck and health to you and your husband.[/QUOTE]