It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board

• Please Help! Mom has EXTREME fatigue after mini-stroke

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-01-2008, 07:37 PM   #1
    rhowell45
    (female)

rhowell45 HB User
    Please Help! Mom has EXTREME fatigue after mini-stroke

I am really worried about my mother. She has always been so active and could run circles around me. She had a mini strok about 3 months ago. Her heart is fine. Her SED rate is 145, which I understand is extrememly high, and keeps going up. SHe's been to a hemotologist twice and they can not figure out why her SED rate is so high. But the thing that is worrying me more than anything is her extreme fatigue. She can not do anything without running out of breath and having to sit down. The stroke affected her right side but she can walk and write just fine. Sometimes her speech gets slurred when she is real tired. We've been around and around with doctors and are just not getting any answers. If anyone else has had experience with extreme fatique after a mini stroke, I sure would appreciate hearing your stories and getting some advice. By the way, my mom is 71. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2008, 01:55 PM   #2
    writeleft
    Inactive
    (female)

writeleft HB User
    Re: Please Help! Mom has EXTREME fatigue after mini-stroke

Hi,

Although I dont have personal experience with the SED numbers, I have survived 4 strokes. (My doctor says the the only "mini strokes", are one's that other people get).

Even though I was only 43 years old at the time (now 48), I was basically asleep in bed for a good year. Much of this was the result of the medications I was on, as my strokes were caused by malignant hypertension, which also cause kidney failure.

I would ask you to be patient, as any injury to the brain takes time to heal. My doctor told me to give myself 5 years, and he was right. Of course, each case is totally differant, and mine had many serious complications involved. One of the biggest challenges for me was to be patient, as I couldnt hardly wait to be "better". It was my dear husband who urged me to take my time, and offered the support I needed to get through it in my own time.

I hope she regains her strength soon, but until then, I would encourage you to be loving and patient with her, and remind her to do the same for herself. You sound like a very caring and concerned person, and that what she probably needs the most.

I wish you the best, and will be watching for you on the boards!

Old 10-14-2008, 07:05 AM   #3
    carole1955
    (female)

carole1955 HB User

if your mum is on a statin this can make her very fatigued and can last through the day time. Hope this helps a little good luck

Old 10-14-2008, 09:18 AM   #4
    oc1an
    Inactive
    (male)

oc1an HB User

I don't think the doctors have any understanding of the fatigue caused by stroke. i was on general muscle relaxants Baclofen and Zanaflex which caused even more fatigue. Currently am 2+ years post-stroke and still can sleep for 3-4 hours every afternoon. From posts in various stroke forums fatigue is a very common result and no one seems to recover except by time passing.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:39 AM   #5
    MaggieLouX
    (female)

MaggieLouX HB User

I've had several TIAs, but the last one in Feb. was the worst. After a week in a rehab, I was put on aspirin therapy and Xanax to take during another TIA. You'd think there would be something else to help; maybe another neurologist. I'm afraid the big one will come soon.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:30 AM   #6
    Chloe1252
    Inactive
    (female)

Chloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB User

The fatigue is one thing and I think we all experienced that. However the fact that she becomes breathless is another thing and I agree she needs to have further evaluation by a doctor, perhaps a cardiologist?

Old 05-16-2011, 08:33 PM   #7
    writeleft
    Inactive
    (female)

writeleft HB User

rhowell,

I just wanted to check back with you to see if your mother has had any improvement since you last posted.

While we all seem to have extreme fatigue especially in the earlier stages of stroke recovery, the added breathlessness is an added concern. We all wish the very best for you and your mother. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help.

janet

Closed Thread